Home Ratings & Reviews

Partagas Black Label Bravo

Looked forward to smoking this one, thick, rich looking, nice aroma. What a let down... uneven burn, a tuff draw, stronger than I thought, kept going out. Even made me a little quesy... and for a beginner like a strong Maduro. Will try the Oliva G next.........

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    awe man... i love this cigar. it usually does need some rest though
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I keep eying the Partagas Black pyramid in my humidor, its oily, black wrapper taunting me constantly. I'm just about at my breaking point.
    i thought it had some good woody notes. a bit on the "bite" side but in a good way. i found that it also had a good complexity with nutty flavors and a sweet coffee from time to time. i thought it was an amped up version of the 5 vegas series A. more flavor, body, complexity, cost....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had some hit & misses with this line. It is a strong cigar but if you let it sit for a bit it can be quite tasty. One thing that I think was a letdown that a review I read said it had some Licorice notes which I never tasted..
    i could see where they were comming from but i wouldnt call it Licorice. somewhere in my catalog i have a full review of it. ... may be on the old forum, im not sure. the link is on the first page of my catalog here if you cant find it here. some say my review was "spot on" but i have a hard time believing this because the cigar is so complex that i taste something new in it every time.
  • I tried one of these today and had an awful experience. The thing would not light. I went through 4 matches just to get the thing going. Once I had it burning I was amazed to find almost no flavor whatsoever. It was the mildest smoke I've had so far, although the sweet notes from the maduro wrapper were quite nice. After I'd burned though maybe an inch of it, suddenly the flavor arrived, and the cigar promptly went out. Determined to get some enjoyment out of the thing, I dusted it off and lit it again. Was fairly pleasant for a while and then the sweet taste of the wrapper died off, within a few puffs I noticed that the wrapper had gone out while the filler was still going. After some adjustments I got it burning properly again and it promptly died entirely 2 puffs later. Dusted it off again, re lit it, took a few puffs and it went out again.  Thoroughly frustrated, I dusted it off, took out my guillotine cutter and snipped off the front 1/4 inch, relit it and tried again. It was nauseatingly bitter so I just tossed the thing.  Thoroughly dissapointed, but I'm gonna try to give them another chance later.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had several of these sticks and never had any issues with them. I've never put any time for them to rest, which I'm sure would help. All in all I say these would be on my list of cigars to have on hand. Though they are a little strong for some. A good buddy of mine who smokes all the time shared one with me and got a huge nicotine buzz off of it. Rather funny if you ask me.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Wow, thats sad to hear. I'm guessing you got a bad stick cause I've had a couple times as well and they were a great full bodied smoke. Like Kuzi said, very complex and I didn't have any burn or draw issues. I let the first one rest about 2 months and second rest about 6. Both were great. I hope you guys give them another try cause I've had great experiences with this one too.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I liked this cigar butonly had a few of them but never had any burn issues ora tight draw. I agree, get one or two more and let them sit for a while before trying it again.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That sounds like an over-humidified cigar Wafflebob. If you keep your humidor at 70%, try bumping it down to 65%, you'll find a lot of cigars smoke better.
  • j0z3r:
    That sounds like an over-humidified cigar Wafflebob. If you keep your humidor at 70%, try bumping it down to 65%, you'll find a lot of cigars smoke better.

I actually don't have a humidor set up yet. So far I've just been smoking them right out of the walk-in humidor at one of my local tobacconists. I'll keep that advice in mind for when I get one up and running soon.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoking a partagas black maximo tonight i got from my b&m today and it has had a couple touch ups but im loving it! just passed the halfway mark , almost a Licorice , choco flavors, also a sweetness on the after taste, def. full bodied, lol