Home Non Cigar Related

Two New Puppies

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last week we had to put our 20 year old cat down. He was suffering with pancreatic cancer and would not be able to survive an operation.

We had made plans to get to Labs when the cat passed, but after we thought about it, there are so many dogs out there that have to be rescued, that we contacted a shelter outside of Syracuse and they had a ltter of 10 Lab/German Sheperd mix.

On Saturday, we took two males, one looking like a Shepard and one looking like a Lab. They are 3 months old and an absolute riot. They will be great pets and we are looking forward to years of love and fun with them. They adapted immediately and are very people and pet friendly.

I would do photos, but I'm still too computer dumb to get it to work.

Comments

• t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Sorry to hear about your cat. I love my lab. and I'm a big fan of shepards. Sounds like an excellent mix.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sorry to hear about your cat; it's always painful when a family member dies

But on the topic of the dogs - you ever owned 2 dogs before? Because if you haven't, you should know that when they get older, 2 males will start fighting for dominance. You'll either have to have one of them neutered, or watch them constantly - you do NOT want to get in the middle of those fights
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, am sorry to hear about your loss. I'm basically a cat person but I love dogs, too, as long as they belong to someone else.

Most of you guys will probably disagree with me but I've learned during my many years that the proper way to deal with pets rescued from any shelter is to neuter them. There is a reason almost all shelters are overcrowded - it's called over-breeding.

In my younger years I was all macho and wouldn't think of neutering a pet. But I've learned.

I could bore you for hours with reasons to justify my position but to sum it up - it's kinder to the animal in the long run. And it'll help to minimize vet bills to patch up battle wounds.

Marty

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all. Both have been neutered and have all their shots. We're taking them to our vet tomorrow to be checked out, but they are an absolute ball!
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I think it is a standard practice for shelters to neuter all animals before adopting them out, It will definitely help out with aggression problems. I have two males that get along just fine. One of them is a rescue that is fixed and the other still has his manhood for now. Best of luck with the new additions!
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    AWESOME! nothing better than puppies!!!! congrats brother... and when you figure it out, you gotta get pics up... or email them to me and I'll post them for you...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, PM sent. Thanks.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Sorry to hear about your cat man, but congrats on recuing the two new puppies. We have a mix of both, two old cats and two young dogs, and only 1 of the 4 we're from a breeder. the other 3 animals we adopted and they've been awesome.

Regarding the two males fighting. From my limited dog experience, it all depends on the dog and the environment. Based on the fact that you got siblings, of breeds that are notoriously good natured and loyal, that are super young and should have minimal baggage from the shelter, it sounds like you should have no issues at all except picking which one to pet first in the morning. Enjoy the puppies man, and def get those pics up when you can.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Sorry for your loss. My wife and I are dog lovers and currently have a male and a female dachshund. We got them both from Dixie Dachshund Rescue. There are many reputable pet rescues; many with great websites such as Dixie. Even though they had some available closer, we drove 8 hrs to adopt each one. And they are great!. (This is not a paid adv for DDR, but it could have been.) They are non-profit.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Sorry to hear about the loss man! Congrats on your puppies though!
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Sorry to hear about your cat.

Congrats on the new pets. Since both have been neutered, it should prevent them from getting into too many scraps. You would be surprised just how well pets can get along, even if they are not supposed to! My dog and pet birds get along great. The dog was rescued from a neighbour that left his many pets behind when he moved. One of my pet birds was given to me after a person who could not look after it saw this picture of my pets in the newspaper: