Home Cigar 101

Winecolodor ???

Anyone here trick out a wine cooler for cigar storage?

Comments

• noccanocca Posts: 12
    I set one up last summer . try to line the walls w/ sp. cedar & have some trays made .
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Chasidor is the best place to get custom trays and drawers... can take a long time though.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Not sure how competetive it is vs. Chasidor (never looked at Chasidor) but our very own Waxing Moon (www.waxingmoonwood.com) has made some awesome custom trays for folks. He can do laser engraving for custom details as well.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    doromath:
    Not sure how competetive it is vs. Chasidor (never looked at Chasidor) but our very own Waxing Moon (www.waxingmoonwood.com) has made some awesome custom trays for folks. He can do laser engraving for custom details as well.
    Oh man. How embarrassing. I managed to totally forget Waxingmoon. Forget Chasidor, as it would probably take the guy a damn year to get your stuff to you... Waxing Moon does far more impressive work anyway. Definitely go with him if you're going to go all out, and get custom cedar work done. The man is a genius with wood.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    I have a converted edgestar and it works great.
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    What is involved in converting a wine cooler?
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    JimmyC:
    I have a 12 bottle wine cooler back home had it for a little over a year now. All I got extra for it was board of Spanish cedar cut into slats. I use these instead the the wire racks that come with it. A couple of trays to hold your stogies, and a pound of beads separated into 2 pairs of pantyhose. I really like it, cheaper than a humidor for the amount it holds and a little classier than a cooler. I forgot what specific type of wine fridge you are supposed to look for because if you get the wrong kind it will actually suck the humidity out of it.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Thewelder:
    JimmyC:
    I have a 12 bottle wine cooler back home had it for a little over a year now. All I got extra for it was board of Spanish cedar cut into slats. I use these instead the the wire racks that come with it. A couple of trays to hold your stogies, and a pound of beads separated into 2 pairs of pantyhose. I really like it, cheaper than a humidor for the amount it holds and a little classier than a cooler. I forgot what specific type of wine fridge you are supposed to look for because if you get the wrong kind it will actually suck the humidity out of it.

It should use a thermo-electric cooler rather than a compressor, as a compressor dries out the air in the cooling process. Some of the cooler/humidors I've seen (Like the one Alex posted up for sale) use a compressor but then recirculate the water into the air to re-humidify it. My preference would be go with thermo-electric since it's one less interlinked system to worry about failing.