Home Cigar 101

Finish?

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
Have a question for all the vets here, since I'm new to the forums & need to get my posts up so I can start trading and building acquaintances. I have only been smoking about 2 years now, but I'm still confused by what people say in reviews about the "finish" on a cigar. I'm trying to build my palate up and learning the intricacies of each taste but I'm still confused when I hear people say a long or short finish. What do they mean by that?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The time which flavor lasts on the palate after the draw and expulsion of smoke.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    My newbie palate detects most of the flavors during the finish. I'm starting to pick our a few here and there during the initial draw (the MOW original was the first stick where I could pick out flavors on the initial draw), but I really enjoy the finish of cigars.
    Light 'em up.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I can totally think of a Lassy joke here...and I wish he was around to tell it, cuz i'm not gonna! LOL
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • does anyone know what creates a short vs long finish? is it the type of filler? type of wrapper?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    A ton of factors contribute to flavor in cigars, from the actual blend of tobacco, to the construction (both of which in turn affect combustion), to how the cigar is burning, temperature, pace at which it is being smoked, and on and on. I assume that finish length and flavor fits in just the same way.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    read through my Developing your palate thread. this may help a bunch. the last page (page 9), 5th post down explains what i believe to be the stages of flavor in a cigar.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ThinBluLine06:
    does anyone know what creates a short vs long finish? is it the type of filler? type of wrapper?
    as far as length of finish goes... i think it has to do with how the smoke interacts with you on a particular day, how full bodies it is, how dull flavored it is, etc...

• kuzi16:
    ThinBluLine06:
    does anyone know what creates a short vs long finish? is it the type of filler? type of wrapper?
    as far as length of finish goes... i think it has to do with how the smoke interacts with you on a particular day, how full bodies it is, how dull flavored it is, etc...

thanks kuzi....makes sense...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    The time which flavor lasts on the palate after the draw and expulsion of smoke.
    Nice, short to the point description