Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

CAO Brazlia?

What do you guys think of this cigar. I tried it tonight because I wanted to test drive a brazilian wrapper, and it was the only stick with on at my local tobacconist.

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with it. I didn't care for the smell of the stick for starters. I like it when they have a sweet/spicy aroma. This one smelled exactly like my grandfathers tobacco shed which made me think the tobacco hadn't been cured very long.

The first inch or two seemed to have a very harsh smoke with a strong pepper flavor to it. I nearly tossed it after a few puffs but I wanted to smoke a bit more while I browsed the internet so I kept going, It mellowed out a bit later and gave way to a decent spicy flavor, although I couldn't really detect much of the sweetness I usually find with maduro wrappers.

I think this one needs to sit in a humidor for a while. I've been buying these straight from the store and smoking them

Since I'm new, I want some input from some experienced smokers

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the first inch harshness that you encountered may be due to a hot light. slow down and toast it lit. you will find that cigars taste better when they arent scorched to hell and back.

my opinion?
    the Brazilia is nt a bad cigar. I dont go out of my way to smoke them though. I prefer its "sister" cigar, the Italia. I think it is better in almost all ways. ... and this is coming from a guy who loves a maduro wrapper.

the brazilia is a bit on the flat side and the sweetness is VERY subtle. I have never had an aged one but i would guess that it would mellow out a bit and maybe give a softer smoke thus making the sweetness a bigger part of the flavor profile.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    What kuzi said about the light.

Other than that, I've only had one Brazilia -- the box-pressed torp -- and I thought it was pretty good. I didn't love it, but I liked it. The flavor was interesting, and the construction was solid. It's just a matter of what flavors really grab you.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've had the Brazilia once as well and I did enjoy it very much! I thought it had great flavor and wonderful construction. That is one I need to revisit very soon! Might have to pick up a few to age in the humi!

Kuzi, you told me how good the Italia is in another post once and have yet to try it. I've gotta get my ass in gear and pick up a few of those.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    Kuzi, you told me how good the Italia is in another post once and have yet to try it. I've gotta get my ass in gear and pick up a few of those.
    for real though!!!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I need to smoke the one maddy sent me. I still haven't tried them.
  • Options
    I've heard great things from more than just Kuzi, I have some friends in a cigar group here I meet with and a couple of them have really liked them too. I think I might go pick up a few tomorrow since I'm starting a 5 day weekend! WOO HOO!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I've heard great things from more than just Kuzi, I have some friends in a cigar group here I meet with and a couple of them have really liked them too. I think I might go pick up a few tomorrow since I'm starting a 5 day weekend! WOO HOO!
    What the hell, you must work for the Government, or at least the state.. Those are the only people that get that deal. ( I'm one of them too ). Good for you, enjoy the time off.
  • Options
    The CAO Brazilia Samba is one of my regular smokes, I really like this blend but personally feel it's best in the Samba and Amozan sizes, let it rest a bit and smoke it slow to keep it cool. Great smoke. If you find you like it also try the Gurka Ancient Warrior in the same sizes. Cheers!
  • Options
    Sounds like you had the Gol! size in the line, it's (IMO) the strongest and fullest of the line and my personal favorite, but i prefer stronger smokes. Try the Samba or Lambada (torp and toro respectfully), little smoother and not as peppery so the flavors come through a little more. If you can hold off a few months, they really start to develop.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    PuroFreak:
    What the hell, you must work for the Government, or at least the state.. Those are the only people that get that deal. ( I'm one of them too ). Good for you, enjoy the time off.
    Haha Actually yes! Police Dept. 5 days off and they issue firearms! Aint life great?
  • Options
    Wafflebob:
    It mellowed out a bit later and gave way to a decent spicy flavor, although I couldn't really detect much of the sweetness I usually find with maduro wrappers.

I think this one needs to sit in a humidor for a while. I've been buying these straight from the store and smoking them

Wafflebob, IMO the Impanema (Churchhill) size accentuates the sweetness of that blend the best. Cheers!
  • Options
    SmokeRing:
    Wafflebob:
    It mellowed out a bit later and gave way to a decent spicy flavor, although I couldn't really detect much of the sweetness I usually find with maduro wrappers.

Wafflebob, IMO the Impanema (Churchhill) size accentuates the sweetness of that blend the best. Cheers!
    ive never had that size but i could see that. long large ring gauge cigars tent to have a very cool smoke. very cool smoke lets you taste more. this would bring out all the flavors. good thought there SmokeRing!
  • Options
    On a sidenote, I tried the Italia tonight as Kuzi recommended. Holy crap was that a good cigar! So far aside from the Brazilia, CAO has really impressed me. I'm wondering if it wasn't mostly just a bad cigar or a bad light, I'm going to have to give it another shot, everything else by them I've tried has been fantastic.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    had the brazillia today-was ok but i would not buy again-just didn't do it for me-how does the italia differ? kuzi?
  • Options
    smoother, rounder, more complex, not as "maduro-e" ...it really eases off of the coco and coffee. the Italia is a bit woodier as well though i wouldnt exactly call it a "woody" cigar.