Home Cigar 101

Humi driving me nuts...

I can't seem to get my humi up past 57 rh. I have changed to beads (70rh) recently and that still hasn't changed the issue. I have also moved it to a better location.. away from the vents and the exterior walls to no avail. I currently have the beads in there and a shot glass of distilled water, hoping it will go up. Any ideas? Even if the seal is subpar, it was fine during the summer and the fall. Also, I am positive I have plenty of beads currently in the humi so I'm at a loss. Any ideas guys?

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    is it a digital hygro? if so, long shot, but maybe the battery is dying?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    If it isn't the hygrometer, just be patient. That water in the glass will evaporate. Your sticks will be fine.
  • Good call on the hygro..but either way maybe laker is right and I am being a bit paranoid. I'll see how it goes and check the battery
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    my guess is the hygro or you have a leak
  • I just checked the hygro and it seems to be fine. I took it out for a few minutes and it went down in rh and refreshed often. So I guess I'll play the waiting game ans see how it goes. I do wonder if I am charging the beads properly, I basically let most of the beads sit in some water for a few moments. I heard its best to not get all the beads wet so they can absorb moister if need be. Is this proper practices or should I wet all the beads since it is winter?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I just checked the hygro and it seems to be fine. I took it out for a few minutes and it went down in rh and refreshed often. So I guess I'll play the waiting game ans see how it goes. I do wonder if I am charging the beads properly, I basically let most of the beads sit in some water for a few moments. I heard its best to not get all the beads wet so they can absorb moister if need be. Is this proper practices or should I wet all the beads since it is winter?
    If you let them actually sit in water I would think those beads are full. The ones you left uncharged will help to absorb the excess water from the charged ones. Letting them sit in water can cause them to explode. It doesn't hurt the performance but it probably isn't good either. I usually sit mine in my coolerdor with a bowl of distilled water and let them soak it up. I would continue to monitor the RH, but don't be going into your humi every couple of hours or you are letting the moisture escape. check once or twice a day.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Your problem is you live in Virgina us north east states have a hard time with RH in the winter a couple things you can do is keep the beads fully charged and charge them more often. Second you can put a humidifier in your room or get a hole house one for your furnace. Third try to stay out of your humi the more you go in it the harder it will be to keep the RH up. Last check your seal cheaper humis have a hard time in our area because the air exchange is much greater than with a good humi good luck and try to relax one more thing you cant have to many beads make sure there is enough in there.
  • Thanks guys! I'll keep all this in mind and I'm sure it will all work out.
  • MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Good call on the hygro..but either way maybe laker is right and I am being a bit paranoid. I'll see how it goes and check the battery
    At the risk of doing something hasty, in you fit of rage and paranoia, send all you sticks to me. :) I got two Humi that are holding 66 and 70 in warm south Florida.
    Did i mention that it is 82 degrees today. (-_-)
  • Mperconte:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Good call on the hygro..but either way maybe laker is right and I am being a bit paranoid. I'll see how it goes and check the battery
    At the risk of doing something hasty, in you fit of rage and paranoia, send all you sticks to me. :) I got two Humi that are holding 66 and 70 in warm south Florida.
    hey now theres an idea! lol I think I'll be ok... I have a cooler set up with the rest of my sticks so I could put them in there. Thanks for your concern though. Also...82 degrees during January is sickening!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Mperconte:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    hey now theres an idea! lol I think I'll be ok... I have a cooler set up with the rest of my sticks so I could put them in there. Thanks for your concern though. Also...82 degrees during January is sickening!
    Makes for fine smoking weather when you wanna catch some air at 10pm :D