Home Non Cigar Related

Arrested and Jailed for Filming arrests....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Not sure if anyone heard of this but apparently you can go to jail or just be arrested for filming cops arresting you or any other police activity...
http://www.smashtheman.com/2010/12/home_page/filming-arrest-illegal

I always find it odd that even though they can do it, you cannot. I think it's wrong.

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    We finally find some common ground in the political spectrum. When our LEO's cannot be filmed without permission we are one step away from not being able to question what they are doing either.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    it's not illegal to do it in tennessee, but if a cop wants to arrest you for being near them because they think you are some kind of threat then they can do it... cops can do many thing that they think interferes with their work, they have so much power. some cops are just ****, he shouldn't have been arrested for filming
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    We finally find some common ground in the political spectrum. When our LEO's cannot be filmed without permission we are one step away from not being able to question what they are doing either.
    You need to look into the "National Security Letter", we crossed the threshold long ago when congress rushed to pass the so-called "Patriot Act", that virtually none of them read, that virtually nullified all your rights under the constitution. The only reason we still have the freedom we do is social inertia. Hopefully, people will start challenging, and maybe we'll start returning toward freedom.l
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:
    You need to look into the "National Security Letter", we crossed the threshold long ago when congress rushed to pass the so-called "Patriot Act", that virtually none of them read, that virtually nullified all your rights under the constitution. The only reason we still have the freedom we do is social inertia. Hopefully, people will start challenging, and maybe we'll start returning toward freedom.l
    +1......+1 to al posts here so far actually
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    fla-gypsy:
    +1 You put it very well. To be honest, I find it hard to believe that anyone would support a law like this. It's just creepy.
  • i work in law enforcement and to tell you there is waaaay more people against the law than there is for it. make sure before you guys think that we are bad to realize where we stand. we have to have a mind set that everyone is a threat. why do you think so many officers get killed each year. the rights of officers is dwindling down to nothing. the criminals have all the rights and with these comments posted gives them thier rights. just think what it would be like if the criminals ran rampant, well worse than they do now. you dont know what its like unless you get out there and do it. or atleast go to some ride alongs and witness for yourself. then come back and repost your thoughts.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    ilikebigbutts-cigarbutts:
    i work in law enforcement and to tell you there is waaaay more people against the law than there is for it. make sure before you guys think that we are bad to realize where we stand. we have to have a mind set that everyone is a threat. why do you think so many officers get killed each year. the rights of officers is dwindling down to nothing. the criminals have all the rights and with these comments posted gives them thier rights. just think what it would be like if the criminals ran rampant, well worse than they do now. you dont know what its like unless you get out there and do it. or atleast go to some ride alongs and witness for yourself. then come back and repost your thoughts.
    Criminals wouldn't be a problem if instead of getting slapped on the wrist for their crimes they had to start making actual restitution.

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    i work in law enforcement and to tell you there is waaaay more people against the law than there is for it. make sure before you guys think that we are bad to realize where we stand. we have to have a mind set that everyone is a threat. why do you think so many officers get killed each year. the rights of officers is dwindling down to nothing. the criminals have all the rights and with these comments posted gives them thier rights. just think what it would be like if the criminals ran rampant, well worse than they do now. you dont know what its like unless you get out there and do it. or atleast go to some ride alongs and witness for yourself. then come back and repost your thoughts.
    I am in law enforcement as well, I am a Sergeant and have 11 years on the job. Unfortunately the media only portrays one side of the story for all they report. It is good for their ratings. That goes for everything the report, not just law enforcement. There is obviously more to the posted story, but that takes away the steam and thus doesnt help with ratings. There are bad eggs in law enforcement like every other profession, fortunately it doesnt even make up 1 percent out of the 700,000 plus police officers in the United States. Great police officers work hard everyday, do the right thing and lead by example. Unfortunately the media only likes to report the stories where one jackass decides to tarnish the badge and the good officers are left with a negative perception.
    This may hit a little too close to home for you to see clearly. Let me try and help. I don't think ANYONE posting here is saying that the police in general are bad. They are human, and that means there will always be some bad. As far as the filming goes, as long as the officers are working within the law, the film shouldn't present any problem. Also, people DO need to understand that you're working with some people who may require body-slamming, and possibly tasering, a few bops to the head. During my tenure in ER I had to assist with this myself a time or two. After all, if these people responded to reason and logic, you wouldn't be taking them down in the first place, would you?

For those who don't know what a "National Security Letter" is, it's a gag order. Not just any gag order, it demands compliance, and you can't tell ANYONE, not even your lawyer, that you've received it, and if you don't comply, you go to jail, no trial, no bail, no hearing, no rights. Sound like the America we want? Not for me. The reasons to limit the power of government are paramount, especially as we enter an age like ours, where privacy as it was once known no longer exists.

Just to reiterate, not against police, not against necessary use of force, even deadly force, just want accountability. Oh, and on that subject, Hannibal's comments are right on, restitution is key. No one should leave jail, or avoid it, until they've paid back the damage they've done, and I don't mean "paid society", I mean paid the people they took from.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Amos Umwhat:
    ... No one should leave jail, or avoid it, until they've paid back the damage they've done, and I don't mean "paid society", I mean paid the people they took from.
    +1 sir!

Additional thought on the National Security Letter, you may be thinking "Well, in rare cases something like this may be necessary". Over 50,000 letters have been issued, and I believe that was just last year!

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    JZ:
    I am in law enforcement as well, I am a Sergeant and have 11 years on the job. Unfortunately the media only portrays one side of the story for all they report. It is good for their ratings. That goes for everything the report, not just law enforcement. There is obviously more to the posted story, but that takes away the steam and thus doesnt help with ratings. There are bad eggs in law enforcement like every other profession, fortunately it doesnt even make up 1 percent out of the 700,000 plus police officers in the United States. Great police officers work hard everyday, do the right thing and lead by example. Unfortunately the media only likes to report the stories where one jackass decides to tarnish the badge and the good officers are left with a negative perception.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgrjuyn5e1k