Home Cigar 101

First post - how did I screw up?

First, hello to all. I've been lurking here and several other forums for the past week or so, but decided to join up here since I liked it the best. Seems like a great community.

So, I'm relatively new to all this. I recently started hanging out with a business acquaintance who loves cigars, and I'm starting to get into it as well. So, I broke out my old humidor (an old unused gift) and started trying to get it ready.

Rather than try to guess what mistakes I've made (you don't know what you don't know, I guess), I thought maybe I'd just describe what I've done and take direction/criticism as warranted. First, I wiped the inside out of the humidor out thoroughly, and threw in a Boveda 84% pack to season it (it's a 50 ct desktop humidor). I left it sealed for a week, while the few cigars I had are in a ziplock bag with a drymistat tube. I checked the humidity of the humidor using a calibrated hygrometer after a week, and found it to be abour 60%. Unfortunately, the humidity in the bag containing my cigars is now creeping up to around 75%, so I'd like to get the sticks to my box as soon as I can.

So, what have I done wrong? I'm sure it's something, and I'm reading as much as tim allows - but I'd love tap the collective knowledge of the group as I learn!

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Did you check the seal with the dollar bill test? Also, is the hygrometer a digital one or just an adjustable analog? Also, did you put in the humidifier as well as the seasoning pack (this is crucial)?
  • I'll have to look into the dollar bill test, I haven't done that. The hygrometer is a digital one I just purchased and calibrated.

And to the last part, I'm assuming you mean put a drymistat in with the Boveda seasoning pack? I didn't do that, but I bought an extra tube so I will!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't think you've done anything wrong. If you left the seasoning pack in there for a week sealed it's more than likely fine. They don't last that long. 7-10 days and they're spent, and the wood is seasoned. I'd put whatever humidity devices you have in there now and let it sit for a day, and check it. If it's between 60-72 at that point then I'd load it up with cigars.

Edit: Stupid question, but you did take the packet out of the plastic it came in, right? Only reason I ask is I know someone who did that and couldn't figure out why the thing wasn't working right.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Another thing why your RH may be low is if you used only one packet. Boveda recommends using one packet plus an additional one for each 50 cigars worth of capacity, making it two packets for you. Still, 60 RH isn't too bad and if your cigars are 75 RH I think you could put them in.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    If you live in the north, 60ish is all you may get this time of year. I have a few humidors and my biggest and best one sits between 60 and 63 this time of year. Infact, I just put another 1/2 pound of beads in just to get it up to 63. Besides the packet, grab a shot glass of distilled water and just let it soak it up.
  • I'm in the DC area - so it's not very humid this time of year.

Should I worry about mold in the box since I used tap water to wipe it out before seasoning, or should I just keep an eye on it?
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Sounds like you are well on your way into the craft!
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum bro...just so you know if you hang around here long enough that 50ct will be filled to the max in a short period of time
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I'd agree w/Harpoon. You need two of the Boveda Seasoning Packets. That said, sometimes "Gift Humidors" aren't the greatest and may be tough to maintain rh% for that reason alone. I know this from experience. Also try to keep your sticks under control too in the Zip Locks. Welcome.