Home Non Cigar Related

Spokeo

Has anyone else seen this site? When is enough enough? Now you can just search a name and it gives you pics, phone numbers, address(with sat image of house), home value, estimated income and all other personal information about people. Is anyone else getting really sick of all this crap?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Think I used it before.... I'm not on it so it's all good.

• Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I guess I should expand a bit. I am not upset about the address, phone number or pics that it finds, if you post pics of yourself online then that is what can happen, but the part that pisses me off is the more personal stuff that it advertises you can see like your income and stuff like that. I just think thats too personal.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    there is actually a way to get all ur info blocked from them.......i will put the link here if anyone wants it...follow directions though...

If you want to protect your personal information, here's how to remove yourself from the site: Go to spokeo.com, search your name, find your page, copy the URL and then go the bottom of the page and click on the Privacy link to remove yourself. Spread the word to your friends and family!
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I'm not on there, but I tried to click on some random person and it said you have to pay to see any other info.
    Light 'em up.
  • IM f@#$ing on there! this is crazy. It actually knows how long I've lived here and I didnt even know. insane. IM going to fix this immediately
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    well i gave u guys the info on how to get ride of ur info on there lol
  • yea I did it..all gone. Its funny cause I was all mad and told my dad about how you can just type in a name and find out everything about them including a map of their location. He said to put in Osama Binladin lolz
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think it's going too far posting all that private info in one place. I don't feel free speech should extend to potentially making a victim of someone.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Unfortunately its not really private information. All the info these sites produce are open to the public but you have know where to find it. These sites just make it easier for the common user to access it.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    We also open up our lives each day on the internet and on this forum. Dustin1981 and I, (along with many others use our name on the profile page.) If you do, anyone can search your name along with cigar next to it and they have access to the forum.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    mfotis:
    Unfortunately its not really private information. All the info these sites produce are open to the public but you have know where to find it. These sites just make it easier for the common user to access it.
    My mistake in saying that, I realize it's not private information in the sense that it is out there. I guess my problem is that even if the information is out there and accessible to all, it's not all consolidated in one location. Maybe I'm jumping at shadows, but I feel a bit uneasy that all that information about me could be at someone's fingertips by simply searching my name. I'm not listed there, and if I was I'd have long since removed it, but the whole concept of that site bothers me because it serves no purpose other than to ferret out information about people and display it publicly, I have a problem with that.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    They just glean info from public sites particularly municipal tax collector sites and the such. The info tends to be outdated and incohesive
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the head's up. Looked myself up there and found some odd hybrid of my dad and I (we share the same name). On there he's got my age but his wife and income!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    just go here, and remove yourself from spokeo.
    http://www.spokeo.com/privacy
    there are tons of sights on the net like this, but you can remove yourself from all of them. I try to. All you have to do with this one is copy the url of your page (be sure to do it for all yout pages, email, name, old emails...etc) and go from there