Home Cigar 101

Chewing the Cap

PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
I've seen people chew the cut off cap of their cigar. Opinions and reasons? And Go.

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    The Beard does it. Its in one of his videos... I think its to guage if its gotten aged nicely and what the prelight flavors are.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I think I would trip if I actually saw someone doing this...

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    This is how most of the people in the tobacco industry (and I mean those in the cultivation, production part) apparently.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I think this would make me puke.
    Light 'em up.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I had a guy at work tell me the other day that when he is finished with a cigar he likes to let the cigar go out, and then he actually chews the butt of the cigar. He said there is a whole lot of nicotine build up in the end, and it gives you a great buzz....I don't think I will be trying it, but hey different strokes for different folks
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Geezus, I get a good enough buzz just from smoking it...
    Light 'em up.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I think Columbo used to bite the cap off his cigar!!
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    That settles it! What's good enough for Columbo is good enough for me!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    LOL
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    A lot of times I pick it off with my fingernails. Works great.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    letsgowithbob:
    I had a guy at work tell me the other day that when he is finished with a cigar he likes to let the cigar go out, and then he actually chews the butt of the cigar. He said there is a whole lot of nicotine build up in the end, and it gives you a great buzz....I don't think I will be trying it, but hey different strokes for different folks
    OMG
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I'll chew the Cap sometimes. I do it after I cut it, but before I light the cigar. It gives me a good sense of what to expect from in terms of flavors from the wrapper. So if I think of it I will, if I don't I won't. Kind of depends on how much I want to pay attention whie I smoke the thing.

Kind of suprised more people don't do this actually, but I chew occassionally as well so I just never thought much of it.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    Kind of suprised more people don't do this actually, but I chew occassionally as well so I just never thought much of it.
    That may be the key actually... The concept of chewing tobacco has always been absolutely revolting to me, and so this never occurred to me either.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the same way as getting me to voluntarily leave a perfectly good airplane in flight (via parachute), you gonna have to do something d@mned drastic to get me to voluntarily chew terbacky....

Marty

Misunderstood what this thread was about. I thought it was about using your teeth to remove the cap, which is commonplace in the tobacco world. As for chewing on the cut cap? Meh. Would rather just light up...
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Misunderstood what this thread was about. I thought it was about using your teeth to remove the cap, which is commonplace in the tobacco world. As for chewing on the cut cap? Meh. Would rather just light up...
    Its about the fact that some people like to cut off the cap, and then chew on the cut off cap.
    PsychoSJG:
    docbp87:
    Its about the fact that some people like to cut off the cap, and then chew on the cut off cap.
    Only place I have ever heard of this is in the CCom videos, like when Alex did it blindfolded (or rather... Santa Capped?) I will admit that I've tried it, but did not get much out of it, and would rather just smell the foot, feel the wrapper and seams, pinch to test the construction, and take a cold draw to get everything I can from a cigar before lighting.
    Hays:
    boydmcgowan:
    That may be the key actually... The concept of chewing tobacco has always been absolutely revolting to me, and so this never occurred to me either.
    jlmarta:
    In the same way as getting me to voluntarily leave a perfectly good airplane in flight (via parachute), you gonna have to do something d@mned drastic to get me to voluntarily chew terbacky....

haha I guess that makes sense why more people don't do this.

And I don't chew the cap every time, just when I feel like it, or if I'm trying to take notes on a cigar or something. It just helps me prep the palate, I guess, for what I should be expecting.

No chew though? man are you guys missing out. For me, aside from a good cigar there's not much out there more relaxing than a cheek full of Redman. Especially the Golden blend. so freaking good.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Not for me, I tried it 1 time early on and yuck; actually my springer spaniel likes to try to chew the cap if it falls to the ground.
    This is the same dog that actually dug through the compost to find my spent stick nubs so she could chew them, and to my wife's horror bring them in the house on the sofa
    I now have a secure compost pail where the nubs are composted.
    ShotgunJohn:
    Not for me, I tried it 1 time early on and yuck; actually my springer spaniel likes to try to chew the cap if it falls to the ground.
    This is the same dog that actually dug through the compost to find my spent stick nubs so she could chew them, and to my wife's horror bring them in the house on the sofa
    I now have a secure compost pail where the nubs are composted.
    HAHAHA, I hear you man. thats funny though. Dogs and cigar butts or ash are ridiculous. If I ash on the ground outside our two goons run over to lick it up. so gross. I've caught them eyeing the butts out of the ash tray when I leave that outside, but thankfully I've never seen them actually eating them. Which is suprising b/c our malamute is like a shark. She eats everything man. We've had some interesting things come up out of her, but suprisingly only 1 blockage so far.

Thats hilarious that your spaniel brought the butts inside on the couch to enjoy. haha. I guess everyone wants to relax in a comfy seat and enjoy a cigar.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Great initial way to tell if the wrapper leaf has been properly fermented. Should taste tobacco flavors but no real acridness or edgyness.
    Alex Svenson:
    Great initial way to tell if the wrapper leaf has been properly fermented. Should taste tobacco flavors but no real acridness or edgyness.
    I feel like you can get this just as easily from a cold drag on the stick itself, and at the same time you can test the draw for plugs etc. *shrug*
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    some folks will def go after that "buzz" no matter how it looks..
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    that's disgusting

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    a guy i work with chews his cigars...and does the cap thing.... i tried it once....wasn't for me.

"Long ashes my friends."