Home Cigar 101

What is this?

I fudged the cut on this one and had to go for a deeper cut than one would want and I found this red, nylon-like thread. What is it? I burned it with the lighter and it melted like plastic, ended up destroying a tasty cigar trying to pull it out.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    WTF?!?! that looks nasty. Sorry bro.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    That is bizarre! What stick was it, and where did you get it from???

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Someone else reported something like this also just can't remember who. The suggestion was it was the bailing material the tobacco comes in that got caught up in the mix and should have been removed
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    WOW the next time I smoke a stick I know I like and it tastes off...I'm going hunting...
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Nice filler! Cohibas in glass top box? lol
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Diamondog:
    Nice filler! Cohibas in glass top box? lol

lol I wish. I wasn't going to say, but it begs the question. Graycliff Platinum Ed Lim, and sadly I didn't buy it from some forlorn looking kid on a beautiful beach somewhere in the southern hemi. But I had had one before and was really looking forward to it.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    WTF? Man that is messed up!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Someone else reported something like this also just can't remember who. The suggestion was it was the bailing material the tobacco comes in that got caught up in the mix and should have been removed
    I remember this as well and if my memory serves me correct it was a CCOM SunGrown but I am drawing a blank on the Bork.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    kingjk729:
    fla-gypsy:
    I remember this as well and if my memory serves me correct it was a CCOM SunGrown but I am drawing a blank on the Bork.
    Pretty sure it was Cabbi that found one in his CCOM Sungrown. This looks the same except red versus black. My guess is plastic bailing twine.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Looks like cinnamon dental floss.Kill two birds with one stone.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Strange indeed. Sorry about your stick.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I'd chalk this up to "it happens."
    Light 'em up.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Look on the bright side, at least it's not a pubic hair, or a red one at that...
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    send an email with pics to the manufacturer and tell them your problem. they may hook you up. I know that happened about a year ago on here with some Oliva product.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Interested to know what cigar that was...
    docbp87:
    Interested to know what cigar that was...
    Graycliff Platinum Ed Lim
    Light 'em up.
    Russ55:
    Look on the bright side, at least it's not a pubic hair, or a red one at that...

lol. . .a parting gift from the ex?
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    it looks like a strand of the twine used to bale things up eg-hay,tobacco bales etc... or thats just what it reminds me of because those things are made of plastic like material. those things up comes apart really easily which explains why it's in your cigar if it is from one of those twines. just a guess though because it looks like it's made of the same material we used to bale our hay.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the loss of the stick, but I guess the botched cut was so you would find the bale twine.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    yeah, I'm with JCizzle on this one, I too would chalk it up to "it happens"

And I think especially with handmade stuff, people aren't perfect, so every once in a while something is bound to slip in there. Now that I think about it, I'm actually suprised more stuff like this doesn't happen.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    That sucks, but yeah, these things happen. Not cool, and a shame that it ruined your cigar, but there are so many different ways that a cigar can be problematic, that despite this being one of the weirder problems, it can just be chalked up to being a dud, no different than if the stick was badly plugged, or unraveled, or tunneled badly, or canoed, or any other problem that would keep a cigar from being smokeable. Hopefully you got a deal on these so you aren't out too much cash :P
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    yeah, I'm with JCizzle on this one, I too would chalk it up to "it happens"

And I think especially with handmade stuff, people aren't perfect, so every once in a while something is bound to slip in there. Now that I think about it, I'm actually suprised more stuff like this doesn't happen.
    You'd think with the number of cigars that are produced in the world that this might happen more often. Maybe it just goes unnoticed?
    I'm not worried enough to go writing any letters or anything. Just thought it was strange enough to share.

Funny thing is I grew up on a small farm, but back then hay was still bailed with wire. . .
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    On two occasions I have had this, though not that long a strand. It was black. Don't remember the cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    because of my recent trip to nicaragua, i can tell you exactly what it is.
    when tobacco leaves are stacked for fermentation they are already sorted and bunched according to what type of tobacco they are (country, priming, etc). these bunches are held together with thin ropes that are color coordinated so that there is no confusion to what tobacco is in the pile.

this looks like a bit of that thread.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Meph it was me that had the same deal with a Nub cigar !!! I told my local B&M where I bought it and they didn't have an explanation or even offer a replacement cigar.

I contacted Oliva cigars to let them know ,complete with pictures , and Jose Oliva himself responded. He said he had never heard or seen such a thing in all the years he has been in business and handed me off to a VP who requested I send it back to them for examination. I never found out what it was BUT I did receive a nice package ftom them. Included some Nub cigars , a Nub logo match holder , a Nub logo cutter and a super nice Nub logo ashtray that is my main cigar ashtray I use all the time.

It was def weird when I cut into the nub and a long red nylon string ( just like yours ) unraveled ! Glas I contacted the boys at Oliva though , they more than hooked me up !!! Gene
    gmill880:
    Meph it was me that had the same deal with a Nub cigar !!! I told my local B&M where I bought it and they didn't have an explanation or even offer a replacement cigar.

I contacted Oliva cigars to let them know ,complete with pictures , and Jose Oliva himself responded. He said he had never heard or seen such a thing in all the years he has been in business and handed me off to a VP who requested I send it back to them for examination. I never found out what it was BUT I did receive a nice package ftom them. Included some Nub cigars , a Nub logo match holder , a Nub logo cutter and a super nice Nub logo ashtray that is my main cigar ashtray I use all the time.

It was def weird when I cut into the nub and a long red nylon string ( just like yours ) unraveled ! Glas I contacted the boys at Oliva though , they more than hooked me up !!! Gene
    Now that's service!
    Light 'em up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    gmill880:

Now that's service!
    the head of quality control was the one that gave us a tour of the factory when i went. she was very clear that if you ever have any problem with the construction of their cigars to send them a letter or email. they want to know.
    kuzi16:
    JCizzle:
    gmill880:

Now that's service!
    the head of quality control was the one that gave us a tour of the factory when i went. she was very clear that if you ever have any problem with the construction of their cigars to send them a letter or email. they want to know.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll try to send them a friendly message.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Mephisto:
    I fudged the cut on this one and had to go for a deeper cut than one would want and I found this red, nylon-like thread. What is it? I burned it with the lighter and it melted like plastic, ended up destroying a tasty cigar trying to pull it out.

Something I found as a follow-up to the stick in my cigar story.