Home Non Cigar Related

Post count on another forum

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
I just visited a forum I used to go to quite a bit but had to cut back on hobbies in order to finish my masters. They have installed a new feature that reduces your post count if you dont post in a while. My 373 post count has been reduced to 10. How dumb is that?!?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    How dumb is that?!?

very

• bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    I'd say....really DUMB or even really, really DUMB! Perhaps they think that what you used to say is not valid anymore :) That is really bizarre though. Post counts don't always mean anything to me. A lot of guys with lots of knowledge just don't post, and some post on everything sometimes adding nothing, and of course there are many who post and adds lots. At the end of the day, it is only a number of posts, not a reflection on quality nor value to the forum. I have been on other forums (not cigar ones) that have an option to rate the comments, and this reflects in the 'value' of the poster over time. A great use of algorithm's, except people figure out ways around it to pad their posts....hey sounds like the 'fluff' thread :(
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Not all that uncommon. Some servers have limited storage, so older posts are routinely "pruned".
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Eh. Having been active on various forums online for well over a decade, post count is essentially a meaningless number. A lot of times displaying post counts actually encourages people to post useless junk just to get their count up, which in turn clutters the forum with... useless junk. My favorite forums are the ones that hide post counts...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the point of reducing a post count. Very dumb and totally pointless.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    docbp87:
    Eh. Having been active on various forums online for well over a decade, post count is essentially a meaningless number. A lot of times displaying post counts actually encourages people to post useless junk just to get their count up, which in turn clutters the forum with... useless junk. My favorite forums are the ones that hide post counts...
    Interesting counterpoint Doc, I do like this argument and agree with it.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I used to post on a running forum that every so often would reset everyone to zero.
    Light 'em up.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Reducing post counts is ignorant. Either post them or don't, but don't play games with it.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    that's stupid.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    quite bizzare
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I don't get it, but then I also wouldn't much care either. The way I look at it, the people who know me wherever know me and that my posts are or aren't valid or worth reading. I've seen plenty of people with huge post counts on various forums that don't really add anything constructive. I see it as just a number, but that's just me.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Useless junk (just for doc). Well that and my meaningless number.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Reducing post counts is ignorant. Either post them or don't, but don't play games with it.
    +1

"Long ashes my friends."