Home Cigar 101

Fresh from the store

I don't yet have a humidor and from what I've read it seems like most cigars improve dramatically with age. Some of them are even reputed to be somewhat mediocre until aged 90 days or more. So what I'm asking is, are there any cigars that you find are particularly good fresh  from your local tobacconist?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive never had a bad Punch Gran Puro. they are good fresh and aged.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Chances are pretty good that if you bought it from a shop it will already have some time on it...how much I can't say, but they don't generally go through as much stock as, say ccom. There are a lot of cigars that will smoke just fine without having any age on them, most likely a mild to medium bodied cigar will likely smoke better straight from the store than a more full bodied one. Let's see, one that I can say smoke well direct from the shop is the CAO CX2.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Chances are pretty good that if you bought it from a shop it will already have some time on it...how much I can't say, but they don't generally go through as much stock as, say ccom. There are a lot of cigars that will smoke just fine without having any age on them, most likely a mild to medium bodied cigar will likely smoke better straight from the store than a more full bodied one. Let's see, one that I can say smoke well direct from the shop is the CAO CX2.
    Hey Joe I agree with that choice.. I have had this fresh, one month, and three months and each one was Great. Which reminds me, I am down to my last one...
  • Got a CX2 today. They were almost out and I found that it was actually $2 cheaper than whats listed on this site. I finally got the chance to light this thing up after work, and I must say, it' is AMAZING. I think I finally managed to get it lit without burning it and making it bitter and the very first puff was sweet and spicy and probably the best cigar I've tried so far. Sadly, this particular stick had some issues. It kept tunneling on me, I had to correct it 6 times. It also started to unravel about halfway through. I'm almost starting to wonder if there isn't something up with this tobacconists humidor.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow, that's interesting.. I smoked a cx2 right from a local shop and it was fine. though I did buy two, got the other one resting.. I did like the one I smoked but I'm sure this one will be better after a few months. But yeah, it's a good cigar.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I wasn't bowled over by the Cx2, either, Feebs. It's okay. I think I gave it an "Eh" on the RRS.
    the Mx2 and thew Cx2 are good cigars... but not great in my mind.

i cant wait for the Lx2
    I got an email from the local B&M today that said they'd have those soon.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    kuzi16:
    the Mx2 and thew Cx2 are good cigars... but not great in my mind.

i cant wait for the Lx2
    I need to try those so bad. Maybe once I get off of cigar buy restriction I can buy them. Possibly a secret santa may hook one of those up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Can't wait for the LX2 to drop myself. Hopefully it lives up to the hype, and based off of one review I read of a sneak preview it just might. We'll see... as with all things, time will tell.
  • Tried a Punch Punch as well and was impressed by that one too. Sadly my tobacconist didn't have any other cigars in the punch lineup.
    thats too bad because the gran puro is a great cigar.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I wasn't bowled over by the Cx2, either, Feebs. It's okay. I think I gave it an "Eh" on the RRS.
    yeah, I'm wondering if I should try the mx2 or even the lx2...

I was a little surprised that the cx2 wasn't a little better. Someone compared it to the soprano, but I think the soprano was much better, and that could be better with some time resting.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:

I was a little surprised that the cx2 wasn't a little better. Someone compared it to the soprano, but I think the soprano was much better, and that could be better with some time resting.
    I on the other hand like the CX2 very much. I pick some up every time they become available.. I have one on hand now but need to get a few more so I can smoke the resting one.
  • kuzi16:
    I believe the larger tobacconist in town will have them. The one I usually visit is a small shop 3 blocks from my home, I just walk to it. The shop is half tobacco and half fine coffees and the tobacco side is split into cigars, pipe and cigarettes. They have lots of boutique cigars and very fine sticks like Bucanero and Gurkha. The larger store is many miles away but they have a massive humidor but don't seem to carry things like Gurkha.
    kuzi16:
    'Tis.
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:

You might as well. Or, at least, don't pass up on them just because you were let down by the Cx2. The other two will, presumably, be radically different from it.
  • kuzi16:
    Had a gran puro last night, and you are correct, it is a great cigar. I think Punch is my #1 favorite brand so far. CAO is right behind them, I had an Italia tonight fresh from the tobacconist and it was excellent as well, I had difficutly smoking it slowly.