Home General Discussion

Humi question help

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
My wife got me a small desktop humidor for work. I used the Boeveda pack to season it, I forgot when I put it in and how long it was in there for. Well I dont think I left it for the 2 weeks it states. Well I've put my cigars in there with 70% beads, but the rh is always like 60%.

Would you say for me to re-season it and use the sponge/distilled water method ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Shawn, I think it's 5-7 days you're supposed to leave the seasoning pack in there, and you probably need two of them. It probably wouldn't hurt to pull everything out and put a dish of distilled in there for a day or so. You're positive your Hygro is calibrated I assume.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Yea, hydro is callibrated. I moved the hydro into my other humi and it went to 68%rh in there. I think I'll put that distilled water bowl in there and try that way.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Boveda humidor seasoning pack takes 2 weeks...
    docbp87:
    Hm. I haven't bought them in a year or so. Must be a recent change.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Put a shot glass with distilled in it along with the charged beads in your humi. Thats what i have to do with my 20 cnt. to keep it stable
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Russ55:
    docbp87:
    You're talking about the 84% Seasoning pack, right? Not just a regular Boveda pack? As far as I remember, the seasoning pack(s) take two weeks to bring the RH up to 84%, plateau, stabilize, and bring it back down or whatever.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    zeebra:
    My wife got me a small desktop humidor for work. I used the Boeveda pack to season it, I forgot when I put it in and how long it was in there for. Well I dont think I left it for the 2 weeks it states. Well I've put my cigars in there with 70% beads, but the rh is always like 60%.

Would you say for me to re-season it and use the sponge/distilled water method ?

Thanks!
    Before you do anything drastic like pulling your sticks out and re-seasoning, perhaps you could try throwing a 75% boveda pack in to boost the RH%, that may take care of the problem for you. I've done this when my RH% was flagging, and it seems to do the trick for me, so it might be worth a shot.

Another thing that comes to mind...how many packs did you use to season? For a humidor with a capacity of 51-99 cigars, Boveda recommends 3 packs to properly season. If you only used one, the problem might be that you never fully seasoned the humi. Of course not knowing the capacity, I'm only shooting in the dark here, but you said small desktop and I figured that would be around the capacity.
    docbp87:
    Russ55:
    docbp87:
    You're talking about the 84% Seasoning pack, right? Not just a regular Boveda pack? As far as I remember, the seasoning pack(s) take two weeks to bring the RH up to 84%, plateau, stabilize, and bring it back down or whatever.
    Yeah. The ones I have say 10 days, but 5-7 has always worked fine. Granted, I bought them a little over two years ago.

Edit: I should have prefaced the above with the fact that 5-7 has been fine with small desktops. I suspect the full ten would be needed with larger humidors.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    thanks for all the replies fellas. it was a 25-40 count desk humi for my work my wife got me. I used one boevida pack, but I since, I have added a small cup of distilled water in there with the beads and after 24 hrs, my rh has gone up to 66%!! Thanks guys!!