Home General Discussion

CAO Maduro Gold or Vegas Maduro Gold

Tried the CAO Maduro Gold last night and from a new guy perspective it was very good. I started searching around and saw that Vegas 5 had a gold Maduro. Would they be similiar or am I really off base?

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I've never had the CAO Gold Maduro but I have had the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro and that's a solid stick. I enjoyed that cigar quite a bit great anytime of the day smoke.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    They are both very good. Similar is about as close as I'd get in comparing them because they are quite different from each other in flavor profile but similar enough that if you like one you stand a good chance of liking the other one. Personally I prefer the non-maduro versions of both of these sticks better than the maduro versions so if you haven't tried the conny wrapped version try those too!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    They are both very good. Similar is about as close as I'd get in comparing them because they are quite different from each other in flavor profile but similar enough that if you like one you stand a good chance of liking the other one. Personally I prefer the non-maduro versions of both of these sticks better than the maduro versions so if you haven't tried the conny wrapped version try those too!
    yes.

just yes to this entire post.
  • MessickMessick Posts: 86
    I will try the Vegas, and also both in the Connecticut wrapper. What should I expect to be the difference in the wrapper (Maduro vs. Connecticut)?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The only connection is that, by chance, both lines happen to be called Gold, and be available in both a maduro and natural. The Gold has no meaning in cigar terms though.

As for the difference between Maduro and Connecticut Shade grown (since many maduros are also Connecticut leaf, but Connie Broadleaf Maduro, not Connecticut Shade haha. The complexities can be intimidating at first... don't sweat it)... Maduros tend to have darker flavor profiles, but sweet, and spicy, in their own way. Sweetness is really what the maduro process achieves (maduro refers to a process, that involves extra fermentation and curing), by pulling out sugars and oil from the leaf. Maduros can range from mild to full bodied. Connecticut shade grown wrapper tends to be mild, with a drier flavor profile (and I mean dry in the way it is used to describe wine/beer/whisky/etc., a lack of sweetness). Connecticut shade cigars are rarely anything but mild, though that is not an absolute. They can still have plenty of flavor, just not usually the same kind of flavor profile that a maduro has. That connecticut shade grown cigars, or mild cigars in general are only for new smokers is also definitely a misconception, Davidoff makes some of the most complex, delicious cigars on the marker, and most of them would fall in the mild or mild to medium category, so don't be fooled by misinformed generalizations like that.

Trying both the Connie and maduro versions of either the CAO Gold or 5V Gold would definitely be a great way to develop your palate a little, spotting and tasting the differences between what the two offer.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I know the 5V Gold Maduro is wrapped in a PA Broadleaf and that probably gives it a richer flovor profile than the CAO although I can't say that for sure as I haven't tried the CAO. But the 5V is a solid medium smoke and one I keep in the humi for sure. Very tasty.
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    was anyone getting the flavour of tea off the cao ??
    dont know what tea you guys have in the states but to me it had a significant flavour of the sort of general tea we have here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    From a beginner experience, I ended up having the CAO G.M. first. It was a great stick. Then I stumbled here and learned about the 5 Vegas line. I purchased a 5V classic and G.M. Both were great sticks. The 5V line is excellent both in value and taste. Keep experimenting with the 5 Vegas line, you can't go wrong and I think it will become a new favorite for you, like it did for me.