Home Cigar 101
Options

Beads aren't working this winter......

I have had my humidor for 2 years now and to this point I haven't had any issues. This year however the beads are not maintaining humidity levels well and I'm having to recharge them about every week. I probably need to reseason it but have found a different method and wanted to see if it was ok to do. I have decided to place a bowl of distilled water in the bottom of it and let the beads regulate everything. I have two hydrometers in there (both read the same humidity during salt test) that read 74% and 67% so I'm in the ballpark at least. I just thought eventually the water would do enough that I could take it out being that this is how I originally seasoned it but as soon as I do the humidity levels start dropping again. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    It could also be the weather you are experiencing. During winter here in Boston I have to recharge every week to 10 days.... basically cuz the heat is on all the time and everyting is super dry.... even with multiple humidifiers running in the house all day every day.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    0 That Guy 0:
    I have two hydrometers in there...
    hygrometer

a hydrometer is used to measure specific gravity in liquids.

as said above, the weather is different this year than in the past. if it is colder than it has been in the last two years, this could be the issue. dry air does not support moisture as well. the air in your house is the same air as outside just warmer. unless you have a home humidifier the RH will be low. every winter my beads need to be charged about once every 7- 10 days. over charge them a bit if you dont want the water in there. but during the winter you have to keep up on it. its just part of the game.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have to keep an extra shot glass of water and some water pillows in my humi to help my beads out...just a bad winter this year.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Two words - Boveda Packs - problem solved , forget about the beads .
  • Options
    The ColonelThe Colonel Posts: 206
    Thank you all... I was about to start a new thread asking the question.. because I am recharging the beads about every 10 days... and thought something was very wrong.. have moved my "precious" to a tuperdor with a Boveda and that is a steady 60-70...But this has been a hard year up here in Maine and the wood stove is goin overtime.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Colonel:
    Thank you all... I was about to start a new thread asking the question.. because I am recharging the beads about every 10 days... and thought something was very wrong.. have moved my "precious" to a tuperdor with a Boveda and that is a steady 60-70...But this has been a hard year up here in Maine and the wood stove is goin overtime.
    Having to recharge your beads every 10 days or so during a cold winter in a place like Maine isn't really a big deal. Buy more beads. More than your "should" need. It isn't going to hurt anything to have more than the recommended quantity. In fact, it will help even in the summer time, to bring your RH back up after opening your humidor faster. I recently doubled the amount of beads I have in my 75ct, and have gone from having the recharge every 7-10 days, to not having to touch them for a month now, rock solid at 65%.