Home Cigar 101

need some recommendations

I'm currently somking and enjoying a box of Red Labels that I just got on sale for $35.00.I would like my next box to be different.The first cigar I smoked was in St Marteens and was a Cuban Monte #2.Naturally, that is way beyond my current budget.I like the grassy,carmel,almond and vanilla flavors of a cigar.No pepper or spices.What do you recommend on the cheap.
Thanks

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Felipe Gregorio Icon, Gurkha Park Ave., Perdomo Habano Maduro, Nica Libre, Oliva G Maduro, 5 Vegas Classic, Rocky Patel 1990 and 1992, La Aroma de Cuba, 5 Vegas Gold and Gold Maduro.
    those are all sticks that are fairly affordable that I can think of off the top of my head that have those flavors. I really recommend the Felipe Gregorio Icon for that carmel, almond, and vanilla flavors. They aren't listed on here but call a sales rep. They have them available to them in their warehouse.
    The Park Ave is one of my favorite milds
    Perdomo is a solid brand with some great values to be had
    Nica Libre is a great stick for the money. Same wrapper as a Padron.
    I could go on and on but you get the point. If you are new to the hobby, I recommend samplers and checking the Sales section. It gives you lots of different things to try as your palate develops.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    5 Vegas Gold/Gold Maduro are both solid cigars for little coin that I too think fit what you're looking for. Another one that comes to mind is Flor de Oliva, a budget cigar but one I feel is quite good enough to stand up to some of the more expensive brands out there. Perdomo Lot 23 is another solid cigar regardless of which wrapper you choose, though I think you'd enjoy the Natural the most based on what you described. Those are a few suggestions that I not only think you'd enjoy, but they also fit nicely into a budget...you may not get a box for $35, but they won't cost you an arm and a leg either.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all the suggestions above, from what you describe I would especially second the recommendations for the Park Avenue, and watch for deals on Perdomo Lot 23. Also, get yourself a sampler of the primeros. I know, this is kind of like suggesting ones favorite instant coffee on a forum of connesieurs, but I find that a 40 ct bundle of Costa Rican Primeros can stretch me a long way on my better cigars, and they're quite good. (I may be the only one to admit it, but watch, they sell out) :) PS, just checked the box bedlam, RP Connecticut sounds like it would fit your tastes, and Nica Libre would fit your budget, if you're a Maduro guy. I got a box of these a month or so ago, need a few weeks in the humidor, if you can hold out that long.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I would also agree on the Park Avenue. I'm typically not a connecticut guy, and I was really impressed with this stick. If you get a chance, definitely check them out. I do like alot of spice, but a few of my favorite Medium bodied cigars that aren't too heavy on the spice and are ok on the wallet (not great, but not bad) are the La Gloria Cubana Original Blend with the sumatra wrapper, and Ccom used to carry the Don Pepin Garcia Tabacos Baez Original blend, but I don't see it up anymore. Its only the Series H now, which I have no idea about. Anyway, the original tabacos baez was great if you can find it.

Couple of ideas though. I would definitely call in and talk to one of the reps and see what they can recomend based on your flavor profile and budget. You could also ask them about the tabacos baez. maybe they have a small stash thats not up on the website, I have no idea, but it might be worth a call. I go through email, but from what I understand calling is is VERY helpful if your undecided. And the other idea, is that when you have them on the phone you could probably also ask them to make up a custom sampler for you of some of the cigars everyone mentioned above. That way you can try one before jumping in for a box purchase without knowing what your getting into.

Hope this helps man.