Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

San Lotano Maduro Torpedo Review

San Lotano Maduro Torpedo
6.5 X 52

Pre-light aroma is of a faint sweet hay and gives a very slight tickle to the nose. I examine the wrapper and notice that the box-press has flattened a crease on the bottom of the stick at the halfway point that extends out slightly from the stick and also notice a part of the wrapper is darker than the rest of the stick in this area. This makes me nervous about the construction, which was impeccable on it's connecticut cousin I smoked the night before.
Having said that, the wrapper is a gorgeous dark brown with no veins to be seen on this box-pressed beauty.

I cut the head with a double guillotine and get a much stronger pre-light aroma. After toasting the foot, the aroma is sweet, but not overly so. First couple of draws yield a bright spiciness tempered with a slight sweetness. The spicy tobacco flavor dies down rather quickly after a few puffs and reveals a balanced and earthy draw with a surprisingly creamy finish.

As the stick slowly advances through the first third, there is a nice slight spice on the finish but the main component is the balanced earthiness and creaminess. Lots of resting smoke at all times from the foot and plenty of smoke at each draw. The ash is an impressive white-gray and holds firmly for a half-inch.

The burn became moderately uneven at one point going into the second third, but this was easily corrected with a single match. The halfway point of the stick really pours on the flavor of earth, coffee, and the ever-present hint of spice but never detracts from the sweet and creamy finish.
The strength of this maduro has moved from upper mild to low-to-mid medium and the draw remains incredibly easy with lots of resting smoke from the foot and from the mouth after each draw.

During the final third of this tasty San Lotano maduro, the complex flavors really shine with sweet tobacco notes, balanced with mild spice and mouth-filling creaminess all in the finish. I am blowing large amounts of smoke out with each draw, and I increase the length of time between draws to savor the subtle sweetness and to keep the stick cool.

I have yet to experience any harshness and pause to admire the quality of the thick texture of the namesake and maduro bands I just removed; it really adds to the feeling you are smoking something high quality.
The finish is long and maintains a sweet flavor on the tongue. The strength of the cigar moves towards a fuller spectrum but there is so much flavor by this time that you don't realize the body has increased until you are well on your way to the end.

This is not a powerhouse full-bodied smoke, but definitely makes it's presence known in the final third of the burn. My pre-light concerns were unwarranted as I never experienced any serious problems with the burn or any sudden changes in flavor or body. I was impressed with how tasty and sweet the flavors were all the way to the nub and I will most likely pay for a box of these tobacconist-only sticks at my local B&M as soon as I have my new, larger humi.

This is a must-smoke stick!

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Great review!! Looking forward to the habano one next :)
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    fantastic review, I have to email "The Beard" and get some. Thanks DPD
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    fantastic review, I have to email "The Beard" and get some. Thanks DPD
    +1