Home Cigar 101

Opus X

Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
I'm looking for opinions on the "best" vitola. As I understand it the stick changes a bit from size to size. I've had the Perfecxion X with a few years on it before, but honestly it didn't really blow me away. What's your favorite size?

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I loved the #5 when I first tried it, but the fuente fuente size topped that when I had one. Still have a bunch stashed.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like the no.4 the best. then the petite lancero. i feel that this smoke does well in a small ring.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Of the few sizes I've had, the **** Power Ranger has been my favorite.
  • SigCigSigCig Posts: 37

kuzi16:
    i feel that this smoke does well in a small ring.

Definitely.  Mostly because the small ring age more qucikly.  And Opus need a good 5+ years to become an excellent smoke.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    5+ years? I don't know about that... A year, maybe a year and a half, sure, but 5 years? Get outta here!

Personally, my favorite Opus vitolas are the Petite Lancero and the Reserva D'Chateau, though I also like the DC, the ****, the Fuente Fuente, the No. 4, and the Perfecxion X. Honestly, I would smoke any Opus, as it is probably my favorite cigar... There are those that maintain that the Opus is best in small rings, and while I love some of the small ring sizes (especially the smallest ring, the PL), I think some of the larger rings are just as good. You can definitely tell the difference between the two though.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    You know, when I first started smoking stogies in the mid 90's, the Opus X was the crown jewel of cigars. Years have gone by and I have not smoked one since.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I really love the Perfecxion #2, I also enjoy the robusto and have some double robusto enroute that I believe will be right up there for me...
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    I really love the Perfecxion #2, I also enjoy the robusto and have some double robusto enroute that I believe will be right up there for me...
    The Double Robusto is an a** kicker! Well for me it was. Figurines headed your way DD!!
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked a few FFOX's and think that the best sizes are the PL, Fuente Fuente, RDC, No. 5, and the Double Robusto. If your lucky enough to find the FFOX Lancero or even the Lost City lines Lancero. Aging is a good thing but the 2010 FFOX have been pretty good ROTT just like the Anejo has been. 5 years is not needed as most of them already has some age onto them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SigCig:

kuzi16:
    i feel that this smoke does well in a small ring.

Definitely.  Mostly because the small ring age more qucikly.  And Opus need a good 5+ years to become an excellent smoke.

i could see how 5 years would mellow them out quite a bit but i dont think it takes that long to get it to be a great cigar.

as far as smaller rings aging quicker, im not sure what would cause that, or if that is even true.

i mean i can see theory behind it now that you mention it (more tobacco in the filler will take more time for the oils to merry and more oil to break down over time) but i am not 100% sure if it works that way or not.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Fuente Fuente and Reserva de Chateau are the only sizes I've had. I had the RdC straight out of the B&M and the FF aged for 9 months and who knows how long it was sitting before then. Both really solid smokes. That wrapper likes the rest time. The Anejo, as someone else noted, is good ROTT but it's aged wrapper makes the difference.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    The Fuente Fuente, Reserva De Chateau, and the Power Ranger.... but honestly I have never had an Opus X that I didn't like but I guess these three are favs. And it does seem the smaller ring gauges rock.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im with Kuzi----#4 is the best, havent tried the "*** Cat" yet....but I think that would be great too as a a smaller ring gauge I also prefer on this stick.