Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor hinges

ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
My 50 ct that I've had since the beginning is now my "aging" humidor. I was going through my sticks to catalog them and when I opened the lid, it almost fell off backwards, the screws of the hinge pulled out! The hinge connected to the lid is ok, it's just where they hold to the humidor body that pulled out/stripped. What could cause that? My humidity is holding steady at 65 since I put my beads in there. I'm just going to get some longer screws and replace them but want to find out how to prevent this from happening to my 100 ct.

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Quadrant hinges? They may have mortised too much when installing them and the screws didn't have much wood left to bite. If you're putting in longer brass screws do it by hand and if you feel any torque or increasing resistence at all STOP! Brass screws need pilot holes and do not like strong-arming their way through wood. They break easily.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Quadrant hinges? They may have mortised too much when installing them and the screws didn't have much wood left to bite. If you're putting in longer brass screws do it by hand and if you feel any torque or increasing resistence at all STOP! Brass screws need pilot holes and do not like strong-arming their way through wood. They break easily.

Thanks for the info, Big. I got longer brass screws and they work great!