Home Non Cigar Related

For you tower junkies out there...

We get our first look at the actor who might play Roland

http://www.darktowermovies.com/

What do ya think?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've got no problem with that, really enjoyed him as Chigur in No Country. Off the top of my head, Viggo Mortensen would be my choice to play Roland.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    I agree!! Or Eastwood if they could go back in time lol
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    I've got no problem with that, really enjoyed him as Chigur in No Country. Off the top of my head, Viggo Mortensen would be my choice to play Roland.
    Because of Aragorn no doubt. The similarities in the character are many...

Not a huge Dark Tower fanatic, but I have read the first 4 books. Never been a huge King fan either, but I did love the use of fantastic Spaghetti western iconography throughout, as well as the references to many other classic mythopoeic, well, worlds.
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    Basically, yeah. Similar characters and he did such a good job as Aragorn and just seems like a natural fit.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    Basically, yeah. Similar characters and he did such a good job as Aragorn and just seems like a natural fit.
    Agreed. He would do a great job.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    docbp87:
    j0z3r:
    Agreed. He would do a great job.
    Maybe it's just me, and maybe it has something to do with that horse movie he made, but I REALLY hate Vigo Mortensen. Never saw or read Aragorn, and never read the Dark Tower series, but as soon as I see Vigo Mortensen is in a movie, I already like it a bit less.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    this actually seems like a pretty good choice... I thought Daniel Craig would be good fit...
    After much pondering, I have come to the conclusion that Sam Elliot is the only choice for this role. This decision comes only 2 days after watching the Big Lebowski, mind you...
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    iv been reading in some circles the the dude off of house would be a good choice. he is tall and gaunt, but i dont think that he would be able to bring the right attitude to the role. Sam Elliot would be good, and I wonder if they could make him look a bit younger for the role, like they did with whats his name form Tron.
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    iv been reading in some circles the the dude off of house would be a good choice. he is tall and gaunt, but i dont think that he would be able to bring the right attitude to the role. Sam Elliot would be good, and I wonder if they could make him look a bit younger for the role, like they did with whats his name form Tron.
    Hugh Laurie is a fairly versatile actor, and he's got the right look I think. I don't know, it's hard to say who would do Roland the most justice until we actually see the character put to life.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I think that whomever it is we will either love it or hate it.
    One God, One Truth
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    ejenne87:
    Maybe it's just me, and maybe it has something to do with that horse movie he made, but I REALLY hate Vigo Mortensen. Never saw or read Aragorn, and never read the Dark Tower series, but as soon as I see Vigo Mortensen is in a movie, I already like it a bit less.

I haven't seen Hidalgo, but watch Eastern Promises, The Road, or Appaloosa for better reference. Also, Aragorn was his character in the Lord of the Rings movies.

I'm not 100% sold on Javier for Roland, but I like him as an actor and wouldn't be upset about the casting unless he blew the part.
    LeftFive:
    ejenne87:

I haven't seen Hidalgo, but watch Eastern Promises, The Road, or Appaloosa for better reference. Also, Aragorn was his character in the Lord of the Rings movies.

I'm not 100% sold on Javier for Roland, but I like him as an actor and wouldn't be upset about the casting unless he blew the part.
    haha my mistake there. I was ranting, my fingers were on fire I was typing so fast. I had to go back a delete some stuff that made less sense, and I must have deleted too much. I've seen a few Vigo Mortensen movies, and every time he just kinda pisses me off somehow. The only movie I think he gives a decent performance in is Eastern Promises, and even that movie was saved by the rest of the cast.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    +1
  • The HoosThe Hoos Posts: 42
    Ah man, I think I'll blow the dust off the books in my study and read them all again. This series gave me so much inspiration in high school. I’ve just really been wrapped up in my life and forgot all about it, thanks for the reminder!!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I feel the same way, but I don't have time to scratch my ass these days, much less start reading the whole series again (as much as I would LOVE to - maybe when I retire lol)

I kinda wish they weren't turning this into a movie. I know I'll be dissapointed no matter how good it is because you just can't fit everything into a movie, particularly a story of this depth. Plus (like any book turned into a movie), it just can't match the mental pictures I have of the characters and scenes etc.
  • The HoosThe Hoos Posts: 42
    Heavy:
    I feel the same way, but I don't have time to scratch my ass these days, much less start reading the whole series again (as much as I would LOVE to - maybe when I retire lol)

I kinda wish they weren't turning this into a movie. I know I'll be dissapointed no matter how good it is because you just can't fit everything into a movie, particularly a story of this depth. Plus (like any book turned into a movie), it just can't match the mental pictures I have of the characters and scenes etc.
    + 1 the only book turned fick that I thought they did a decent job of was "The 13th Warrior" from the book "Eaters of the Dead". Just about everything else is garbage.
    I need to read the Dark Tower again. When I was reading it years ago, King had only gotten to Wizard and Glass, and in the interim of waiting for Wolves of the Calla I forgot about the series. Really enjoyed the first four books, I flew through those at a phenomenal pace. Once I finish reading The Wheel of Time series, at least as far along as it it, this is gonna be high on my reading list.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I need to read the Dark Tower again. When I was reading it years ago, King had only gotten to Wizard and Glass, and in the interim of waiting for Wolves of the Calla I forgot about the series. Really enjoyed the first four books, I flew through those at a phenomenal pace. Once I finish reading The Wheel of Time series, at least as far along as it it, this is gonna be high on my reading list.
    Joe, do you have the rest of the series? If not, I have no problem letting you borrow the rest if you don't want to buy them. By the way, they are the hardback version.
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:
    Joe, do you have the rest of the series? If not, I have no problem letting you borrow the rest if you don't want to buy them. By the way, they are the hardback version.
    I don't Todd, I was just going to purchase them for my Nook, but if I can borrow yours, I'm all for saving a few $$. Thanks for the offer.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:
    I don't Todd, I was just going to purchase them for my Nook, but if I can borrow yours, I'm all for saving a few $$. Thanks for the offer.
    Not sure these will fit in your Nook, yeah that just sounds wrong, but I should be able to dig them out for you by next week.
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:
    Not sure these will fit in your Nook, yeah that just sounds wrong, but I should be able to dig them out for you by next week.
    What's this about stuff fitting in my nook? I don't swing that way for free.Surprise [:O]

I don't have Song of Susannah onward. Thanks again for the offer.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1...For me, most times the movie is a great big letdown...It really takes away from the majesty of the book series.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Definitely mixed emotions for me if it is truly cancelled for good. While I know I would probably be dissapointed in the movie in one way or another, I was curious as hell to see how it would turn out. Oh well...