Home Cigar 101

Help deciding

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
So, if you all remember what I did for my daughter, its time again. The wifey is preggo again, so I need another cigar reccomendation. For those that don't remember, I bought a box of JDN Antanos with the plan that I will smoke one when the child is born and write a note to her. I place the note and the band of the smoked cigar (with the date written on it) in the box. On her first birthday, I smoke another cigar from the box and do the same. This continues to her 18th birthday, at which point I smoke the final cigar and present her with the box full of notes.

So, the requirements for this cigar are:

1. Long-term aging potential; this has to be a cigar that will still be a good smoke in 18 years
2. Must come in a box, no mazos/bundles, and it needs to be a nice box. Normally I don't care at all about the boxes, but in this case the box will be passed down and I want it to be a nice, wooden box, something that will hold up as a keepsake.
3. I need to enjoy the cigar, lol.

I don't really care for MoW (I know, I'm a heretic), and I was leaning towards either AB Tempus Maduro or the Prensado, both of which I love. I am worried that neither of those are robust enough to last 18 years though.

Hays already suggested the LFD Chisel Maduro, and Garen reccomended the LFD Air Bender. I'm gonna try and pick up one of each of those next time I am down in Lake Charles, any other suggestions I should look out for?

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    If you like JDN, have you tried the Dark Corojo? I liked that more than the Antano that I had. Very dark, spicy, peppery. I'd say it definitely has aging potential.
  • Padron Anniversary is tough to beat.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I have one in the humi right now, what size do you prefer for it? I don't know the name, but the one I have is a shorter, decent ring-guage almost torpedo, but the cap is much more blunt than is normal for a torp.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    My fave is the El Martillo
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one dark corojo. I think it was a robuso, but not sure. You may have to do some research to find your favorite size.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Hays already suggested the LFD Chisel Maduro, and Garen reccomended the LFD Air Bender.
    how about the combination of these... Airbender chisel...
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Lito Gomez Diez Chisel. Like a DL Maduro chisel but better. Good to have you back Tony
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    Hays already suggested the LFD Chisel Maduro, and Garen reccomended the LFD Air Bender.

You think they'd hold up for that long of a period kuzi?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Aging something that long, I'd go with Camacho Triple maduros, or Camacho Corojo LTDs.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    alienmisprint:
    I have one in the humi right now, what size do you prefer for it? I don't know the name, but the one I have is a shorter, decent ring-guage almost torpedo, but the cap is much more blunt than is normal for a torp.
    Good to see you back,
    I think the 1926 A would age wonderfully.
    You gifted me one of these a couple years ago in your 'guess your tattoo' contest!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

oh yeah.
    Russ55:
    Aging something that long, I'd go with Camacho Triple maduros, or Camacho Corojo LTDs.

The Corojo Ltds are actually on my list of choices already.
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

oh yeah.

Groovy. So my list of possibilities so far is:

Alec Bradley Prensado
    Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro
    LFD Airbender
    Camacho Corojo Ltd

I'm mostly leaning towards the LFD, been reccomended three times in a day. I appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming, the new baby isn't due until late July/early August.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with LFD and Litto Gomez. It seems that Litto really can't go wrong. All his LFD and Diez lines seem to be really great.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new baby! I love your idea of smoking one on each birthday too! I wish I would've thought of something cool like that!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    My Father Le Bijou 1922...just ordered up a box myself...congrats!
  • Diamondog:
    You think these will hold up for 18 years?
    rossdavey2:
    Diamondog:
    You think these will hold up for 18 years?
    I think any well made cigar kept in box always at optimal temp and RH will hold up if not touched....as for the actual aging, I don't think any cigar would benefit at all and would actually probably become "not a good cigar" with that kind of time on it....I think this comes down to the intent of what he's going to do that becomes the important factor...after about 5-7 years I think any cigar would suffer greatly in its smoking characteristics..IMO
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    First things first - CONGRATS ON THE IMPENDING NEW ADDITION TO THE FAMILY ALIEN!!! I think this idea of yours with the notes is one of the most bad-@ss things I have ever heard of a parent doing!

Second things second - just to be contrarian, what do you think about La Aurora 1495's? Dont know if you've ever had one or not, but Ive always been of a mind that they would be excellent with some age on em (in the process of finding out myself as a matter of fact).

And last things last - where the heck you been man?!?! We miss you when you're not around you know... :-)

Diamondog:

This was one of the suggestions made by the Ccom staff, I picked one up and tried it, but it fell a little short of my expectations.

The Sniper:
    First things first - CONGRATS ON THE IMPENDING NEW ADDITION TO THE FAMILY ALIEN!!! I think this idea of yours with the notes is one of the most bad-@ss things I have ever heard of a parent doing!

Second things second - just to be contrarian, what do you think about La Aurora 1495's? Dont know if you've ever had one or not, but Ive always been of a mind that they would be excellent with some age on em (in the process of finding out myself as a matter of fact).

And last things last - where the heck you been man?!?! We miss you when you're not around you know... :-)

I think the La Aurora's may be a bit too mild to age for any extended period, and I never really was too big of a fan of them to begin with.

Off topic a little, but if I remember right when I departed the forums, you were just going on your first spree. Did anyone ever figure out who you were?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    alienmisprint:
    Off topic a little, but if I remember right when I departed the forums, you were just going on your first spree. Did anyone ever figure out who you were?
    LOL, well... in the end there wasnt much TO figure out. Just a simple newb (used to use the handle gdsim1 before the game) introducing himself to the BOTL in a creative way.

How about a nice box of La Aurora 100 anos..great stick IMO and certainly has strength...I do also like the suggestion of the Padron 1964 Annys...I have a box of maduros and naturals enroute, such a good stick..