Home Non Cigar Related

Any Star Wars dorks out there?

I recently started getting into the Expanded Universe... I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy and I'm just about to start the Darth Bane Trilogy...
<br. Just curious if there were any others out there?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    It's been a while since I've read any of the expanded universe books. I remember enjoying the Han Solo trilogy and the Jedi Academy trilogy. Have you read any of the other books?
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    The Dark Fleet Crisis is good as are the two follow up Thrawn books, Thrawn Trilogy is the best by far that I've ever read.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Well my wife got me the 6 current releases of the Fate of the Jedi series for Xmas... but it turns out that this series is based on stuff that happened in the series before it and the series before that, etc...

to put it into perspective, The Thrawn Trilogy takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi and the Fate of the Jedi series takes place about 45 years after ROTJ

I've read Shadows of the Empire which takes place between Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ... this book basically stands on it's own and is really good...

I just finished Truce at Bakura which takes place right after ROTJ... the storyline is cool, but the book was not so good... the writing was really bland...

there is a lot of Old Republic stuff coming out basically to play off the success of the new web based game they are launching...

I really didn't look into any of this until my wife got me the books for Xmas, but it's pretty amazing how much stuff is out there... some seems to be really good and some not so much
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    I've never read any of the books but I've obviously seen all the movies multiple times. I used to be into that trading card game when I was younger with my cousin. I work with someone who is really into the novels and recommended one to me that involves boba fett but I forget the name. I'll have to look into some of these novels.

The Shadows of the Empire looks interesting. I'm definitely a lot more interested in the original trilogy than I am the prequels.
    I went into this an attitude similar to yours shamrocked... but from what I have found in my research, which basically consists of reading boards like this one, is that the books about the clone wars stuff is far better than the movies...

there is a trilogy (not sure why everything HAS to be a trilogy) that covers Anakin's fall to the dark side and his rise as Darth Vader... the middle book being the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, which is supposed to be one of the best Star Wars books ever written... The books are called Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader... I just picked this up in a single volume on Amazon and I'm going to read it right after I finish the Darth Bane trilogy...

Vader has always been a favorite character of mine and reading a few books that chronicle his "career" is pretty appealing...

but if you wanna read a few books that "feel" like the movies... try Shadows and the Thrawn Trilogy... they are really well done and will lead you to seek out more stuff to read...
    I've actually been contemplating what to read. I tend to look for recommendations before I'll start reading so this would be a great start.

I might swing by barnes and noble at lunch today and see what they have. I am guessing you can find them cheaper on amazon though. Is there a certain order in which you think I should read them? Start with shadows first and then the thrawn trilogy? Or is there no difference in which order they are read?
    I could send a few down to you if you want...

order is KEY... but, reading Shadows first is fine because it basically ties the 2 movies together... that's not a bad way to start... Shadows then Hair to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command (Thrawn trilogy) is a good way to start... that's what I did...

with that being said, I have all 4 of those books if you wanna borrow them... lemme know... and I would recommend a used book store... they are $3 a piece usually
    Here is a book list in order... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

the years that run down the left are based on the Battle of Yavin... that was when luke blew up the first death star.... BBY is before the battle of Yavin and ABY is after... yes, star wars dorks take this s!ht really seriously... i still think it's pretty funny, but I appreciate the fact that someone did all the work so I can enjoy some books
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Not really into the books but I have like every bust from gentle giant and a lot of sideshow stuff. I do have the clone wars series put out by dark horse, I love the artwork in those.
    I always forget about used book stores. There is one within walking distance of my office so I'll have to check it out. I think I'll buy shadows of the empire and read it first to see how I like the books. Then if I enjoy it I'll progress to other novels in the series.

That is a huge book list! I've never been on that wiki either but time to check it out.
    yeah, check em out... lemme know if you wanna borrow any...
    ok sounds good - I might take you up on that offer
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Love love LOOOOOOVE me some expanded universe! I think you are really going to enjoy the Darth Bane novels. Also, the New Jedi Order (?) books are excellent as well.

I didnt realize that the whole "Anakin going to the dark side" thing was a trilogy - fixin ta go bust out the kindle RIGHT NOW! :-D

And yes fellas, my nerd flag is flyin' HIGH & PROUD right now! LOL Already had ENFIDEL call me a Nancy today... anybody out there got a nice "POINDEXTER!" for ol Snipey?? LOL

• poypoykingpoypoyking Posts: 55
    The Thrawn trilogy is the best out of the extended universe by far. Timothy Zahn is a talented writer.

I also really enjoy all of the New Jedi Order books (set 25 years or so after ROTJ), though there are a few dud authors in that series.
    The Sniper:
    Love love LOOOOOOVE me some expanded universe! I think you are really going to enjoy the Darth Bane novels. Also, the New Jedi Order (?) books are excellent as well.

I didnt realize that the whole "Anakin going to the dark side" thing was a trilogy - fixin ta go bust out the kindle RIGHT NOW! :-D

And yes fellas, my nerd flag is flyin' HIGH & PROUD right now! LOL Already had ENFIDEL call me a Nancy today... anybody out there got a nice "POINDEXTER!" for ol Snipey?? LOL

I'm about 100 pages into Path of Destruction and man... it's awesome... Des (Bane) is a badass... the story is gritty... I LOVE IT!!!