Home Non Cigar Related

Cognac suggestions?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Hey guys. I've recently been experimenting with blended scotch (I'll be going into single malts later) and I'm loving JW Black so far. I've tried Chivas Regal and so far, it's a bit pedestrian.

But I'm also interested in cognac and brandy. Any suggestions? And please don't tell me to get Hennessy just because some rapper put it in his music :P

Comments

• Try Remy Martin VSOP it goes for about 35-40 bucks.....anything VSOP, VS or XO on the label will be great. There is Martell Cognac VS (30 bucks or so) Hennesy VSOP or the VS line are great too....stay away from the cheap stuff (i call wino sauce).
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I have a bottle of Henney VSOP that's smooth and a bit sweet. You want at least VSOP, where the minimum age is required to be at least 7 to 10 years
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Remy Martin VSOP is 30 to 40 bucks?!?! Over here, it's 89 bucks a bottle. Guess that's what happens when you have a government-run monopoly on an entire industry.

Over here, the government owns the liquor control boards, which in turn is the only outlet for alcohol except for the province of Alberta. At least, that's what I've learned in the two months I've lived here.
  • wwhwang:
    Remy Martin VSOP is 30 to 40 bucks?!?! Over here, it's 89 bucks a bottle. Guess that's what happens when you have a government-run monopoly on an entire industry.

Over here, the government owns the liquor control boards, which in turn is the only outlet for alcohol except for the province of Alberta. At least, that's what I've learned in the two months I've lived here.
    Sucks bud, the 750ml bottle is 30-40 bucks the 1.5 ltr bottle is the one that is 90 bucks though.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Louis XIII :D
    Light 'em up.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    JCizzle:
    Louis XIII :D
    Louis XIII is the best Cognac i have ever had. But if i had the money to do it again, lol i would buy 14 bottles of Courvoisier XO. or 1 bottle of XO and a very nice box of cigars. basicly wht im saying is Louis is better than anything else ive had, its not $1400 better. My go to Cognac is Hennessy VSOP(and no i dont drink it because rappers put it in their music) i enjoy it because in my opinion its the best tasting VSOP out of the three major brands and at roughly 50-60$ for a 750ml it doesn't break the bank. when i feel like going abit nicer than that i enjoy Courvoisier XO
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    While I agree that Louis XIII is very good but not $1400 good, I'm not sure if it's the best cognac I've ever had. Certainly the most expensive, but I also agree that I'd take 10 bottles of an XO (I'd prefer Remy, Hennessy or even Pierre Ferrand's Angel's Share over Courvoisier). Remy and Hennessy are both respectable brands in my opinion and are easy to find. They can be a bit overprieced due to marketing but what can you do? Hine makes a decent VSOP as well as their XO.

Honestly, anything that has come out of the Pierre Ferrand distillery has been very good as far as I'm concerned. They make all of the Ferrand stuff, Gabriel and Associates, Plantation Rum, as well as a vodka, gin and a calvados (apple brandy) that I haven't tried yet. Kelt Tour du Monde didn't impress me at all. I'll probably use that as a mixer. Landy Desir came in a really...um....feminine bottle (that got transfered to my old Remy XO bottle very quickly) and was an OK cognac but not spectacular. Dieu makes a decent XO at a good price. I've only tried one from Leopold Gourmel and it was pretty good. Have two more nips waiting for me. Also recently tried a smaller house cognac that someone had at Gloucester St Cigars in Boston when I did the 262 event there that was really good but I can't remember the name.

There are a few things to think about with cognac. The levels:

VS: Very Special - young cognac - minimum age of 2 years - This stuff can be tough to get down, but look for bright, fruity notes.
    VSOP: Very Special Old Pale - More drinkable than VS - minimum of 4 years - affordable, slightly smoother than VS with some vanilla/caramel notes from the additional aging, still keeping some of the vibrant, youthful notes.
    XO: Extra Old - very smooth and mellow - minimum of 6 years - more expensive but much smoother with stronger wood, vanilla, caramel, banana, etc - wood being very pronounced and less of the young notes.
    Napoleon: Usually falls somewhere between a VSOP and XO - I think only Courvoisier uses this one but each has its own designation.
    Then there's the Louis XIII, Richard Hennessy and all the other super premiums that can fetch for thousands and even into the millions (yes, millions) for a bottle.

Most of the designations age their eaux de vie (unaged cognac) much longer than the minimum - an XO can have cognacs as old as 20 or even 40 years blended in with 6 year old cognacs. Lots are blended with grapes from the different regions. Very few will be region specific (Gabriel and Associates puts out region specific cognacs that are worth trying).

Then, there are the regions - if you're buying cognac, it can only come from the Cognac or Champagne region of France. Anywhere else and it's Brandy. The four regions:

Grande Champagne: the smallest and most highly regarded - these will generally take the longest to mature and are strongly mixed in most XOs.
    Petite Champagne: the next step down in regards - lies directly outside Grande and is also mixed heavily in XOs.
    Borderies: the smallest region - has its own profile - these eaux de vie mature slightly quicker than Petite and will be mixed in napoleons and VSOPs to achieve a specific flavor profile.
    Fin Bois: the largest region - these mature quickest, showing bright notes of fruit and sweet notes. These are mixed with a cognac going for a slightly sweeter profile where Grande and Petite will create a "dry" style cognac.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
  • I can't help you here. Once you hit the single malts that is a whole other story.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    wwhwang:
    Ready to come home yet Wayne? LOL

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Gotta be at least VSOP in my experience, and XO is preferred... Remy and Martell are my favorites.