Home Cigar 101

Box Pressed Cigars

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
What does this mean? Is it some kind of enhancement? Still a noob here.

Comments

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The cigar is ultimately pressed into a box shape (four flat sides as opposed to being round).
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Any advantage to that? Sounds like it would give the cigar a tighter draw?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    nope. it doesnt have a tighter draw than the same cigar unpressed.

when i asked Jose Padron why the 1964 Anniversary cigars were box pressed the only answer i got was "because that is its shape, it is not that cigar with out it"
    i got one while at the factory right off the rolling table before it got pressed. the draw was about the same. i couldnt tell a difference.

when head of quality control at Oliva brought up box pressing cigars i was told that the reason why they do it is "because they can" (along with other interesting shapes and sizes)

there is a theory how the shape came about...
    at one time in cuba (it is rumored) the cigars were packed in a box with a higher humidity. they were packed tighter and closed up with this lid. as they aged before release they slowly took on this shape.
    some people liked it and now many factories go out of their way to make box pressed cigars.

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    One thing I like about them is you can set them down and they won't roll off...
    Light 'em up.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    +1
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    RampMonkey:
    +1
    +2

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I seem to have a higher incident of burn issues with box pressed cigars for some reason. No scientific data or percentages or anything, just something Ive noticed over the years....

• rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    bacon.jay:
    RampMonkey:
    +1
    +2

+3
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    I seem to have a higher incident of burn issues with box pressed cigars for some reason. No scientific data or percentages or anything, just something Ive noticed over the years....

Me too
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    y2pascoe:
    nope. it doesnt have a tighter draw than the same cigar unpressed.

when i asked Jose Padron why the 1964 Anniversary cigars were box pressed the only answer i got was "because that is its shape, it is not that cigar with out it"
    i got one while at the factory right off the rolling table before it got pressed. the draw was about the same. i couldnt tell a difference.

when head of quality control at Oliva brought up box pressing cigars i was told that the reason why they do it is "because they can" (along with other interesting shapes and sizes)

there is a theory how the shape came about...
    at one time in cuba (it is rumored) the cigars were packed in a box with a higher humidity. they were packed tighter and closed up with this lid. as they aged before release they slowly took on this shape.
    some people liked it and now many factories go out of their way to make box pressed cigars.

Cuban cigars that come in dress boxes still take on the box pressed shape, because of how they are packed, to this day.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Probably the most extreme box press cigar I've ever had was the I press. Tasted great btw

"Long ashes my friends."

• Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had burn issues with some but nothing big...I really enjoy them.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    JCizzle:
    One thing I like about them is you can set them down and they won't roll off...
    Thats one of the only things I like about a box pressed cigar. Spring winds and a square means less broken wrappers since the cigar rarely falls to the ground if you set it on the table. I do definitely prefer a round cigar, but if a cigar I like only comes as a box press, so be it
  • nailsnails Posts: 18
    I just like how they fit my hand and mouth.I've never noticed a burn issue and they don't roll around.I like Padron and nica libre the best.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always figured it was just a gimmick, hadn't thought about the "doesn't roll" thing, although that's a plus. Then, I got the box-pressed 5 Vegas sampler, and noticed that the "A" seriously tasted better than other versions of the same cigar. Tested this a couple times, and they were just better! Maybe just a good batch, but...?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    bump 101
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    bump 101

Thanks