Home Cigar 101

Even the CA guys aren't immune to beetles...

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    That's good info. Thanks.

If the necessary components are available, though, I prefer to think that the dry ice method would be quicker, easier, and have less potential negative impact on one's sticks.

Marty

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Isn't 7-10 days excessive? I'd always heard 24 hrs was enough to kill them
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Good video, I freeze everything now regardless for 3 days...it's a pain, but I consider it "insurance." When you have so much money invested it would really suck to have an infestation...already had one small incident and don't plan on having another (at least I hope lol).
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

If the necessary components are available, though, I prefer to think that the dry ice method would be quicker, easier, and have less potential negative impact on one's sticks.

Marty

Marty, I remember you talking about this...what steps do you take with the dry ice method? Can you share one more time? Just would like to see other methods to make it easier than the traditional deep-freeze method. Nick
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Isn't 7-10 days excessive? I'd always heard 24 hrs was enough to kill them
    I thought the same thing, but then I figure these CA guys have some pretty rare and aged sticks...so if they put their own sticks in the freezer for that long, it must be ok.

"Long ashes my friends."

Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

Marty

Marty, I remember you talking about this...what steps do you take with the dry ice method? Can you share one more time? Just would like to see other methods to make it easier than the traditional deep-freeze method. Nick

Do a search in the General Discussion thread for my post of 7/5/09 on the topic of preventing the spread of tobacco beetles.

With this method, it's not a matter of freezing the sticks, merely of immersing them in CO2 long enough to kill the little devils. As the dry ice melts, the CO2 displaces the air in the coolidor and does its magic.

Marty

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Krieg:

I love that piece.... LOL I like the info these guys give But they are some Seriosuely Snobby F-u-c-ks! LOL
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

Marty

Do a search in the General Discussion thread for my post of 7/5/09 on the topic of preventing the spread of tobacco beetles.

With this method, it's not a matter of freezing the sticks, merely of immersing them in CO2 long enough to kill the little devils. As the dry ice melts, the CO2 displaces the air in the coolidor and does its magic.

Marty

Marty, Just read the old thread...does that method only kill live beetles or does it destroy the eggs as well? I know it might be a stupid question, figured it'd be worth asking though :)
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    that humidor is The Dream by the way....
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

Marty

Marty

Marty, Just read the old thread...does that method only kill live beetles or does it destroy the eggs as well? I know it might be a stupid question, figured it'd be worth asking though :)

Ya know, that's a good question. I don't think I know the answer to it. I'd have to guess it would kill the eggs, too - seems to me that oxygen would be required for them as well.

Maybe one of the other BORKS can answer that part.

Marty

robbyras:
    that humidor is The Dream by the way....
    Yes it is...wanted one of those in a bigger model but couldn't afford it so went with an aristocrat custom cabinet :)
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

Marty

Marty

Ya know, that's a good question. I don't think I know the answer to it. I'd have to guess it would kill the eggs, too - seems to me that oxygen would be required for them as well.

Marty

Eggs are destroyed easily by putting your sticks in a vacuum. The eggs can't stand pressure (or lack of) and will be crushed. I've read about this method being used by cigar makers on their sticks before they're shipped to kill any eggs present.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

Marty

Marty

Marty

Eggs are destroyed easily by putting your sticks in a vacuum. The eggs can't stand pressure (or lack of) and will be crushed. I've read about this method being used by cigar makers on their sticks before they're shipped to kill any eggs present.
    Krieg, I've got a vacuum chamber...I just wonder if too much vacuum would damage the cigars?
    Nick2021:
    Krieg:
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Nick2021:
    jlmarta:
    Krieg:

Marty

Marty

Marty

Krieg, I've got a vacuum chamber...I just wonder if too much vacuum would damage the cigars?
    All I could say is throw in one u don't care about and see what happens, then you'll know! Honestly, though I don't see how the lack of air would cause damage to a cigar. Otherwise cigar makers wouldn't do it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Very interesting video, I have been lucky so far and have not had this problem yet. Still though it got me to researching and I found a trap called Safestore Bug Traps from a site in TX where I buy some of my sticks from. I know it isn't proper to post links to competitor sites or I would of posted the link. Do you think Ccom would mind me posting the link since these bettles are a serious problem? or if anyone is interested just check my BIO to see the link.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    i wonder what precautions some manufacturers go through to prevent beetle outbreaks. Also I wonder why the eggs dont hatch during the fermentation process where temps are supposed to be higher??
    Pure speculation, but I've read where people in the produce business store fruits and veggies, etc., in warehouses filled with nitrogen or some such gas. And, since we know the beetles can't live in carbon monoxide maybe cigar people store their cigars in some sort of gas-filled warehouses - at least long enough to kill any resident bugs. Just a thought.....

Marty

NightHawk:
    i wonder what precautions some manufacturers go through to prevent beetle outbreaks. Also I wonder why the eggs dont hatch during the fermentation process where temps are supposed to be higher??
    a lot of manufactures will put there cigars in a vacuum. This will crush the eggs.

"Long ashes my friends."