Home Cigar 101
Options

Shapes and sizes?

Ive been smoking cigars for ten years now but i still consider myself a newbie. three years ago i started smoking more frequently and now two or three cigars a week. after a lot of research, and talking to several people, i cant get an answer on this one thing. I know that the size and shape of cigars affects the way they burn, but my question is;

***within a single blend***, does the difference in sizes and shapes of the cigar affect the flavor and body of the cigar? if so, How?

my gut tells me that the answer is yes. so not only do i need to find blends that i like, i also need find what size and shape in that blend i like...

Thanks for your help..

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Kuzi's excellent Blending 101 thread will answer most, if not all, your quesions: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/6023.aspx. Know that not all of Kuzi's info is in the first post, so read the entire thread to get everything.

Quick FYI - the different sizes of cigars (corona, churchill, etc) are typically called "vitola's", while the size/width/how large around the cigar is, is called "gauge"

The short answer to your question, is "yes - same cigar, different vitola will produce a different flavor", BUT - most blenders re-blend their cigars to account for the different wrapper:filler ratio's, but some don't, and so you get a much more pronounced difference between the vitola's.

If you smoke a cigar in the the corona vitola, followed by a toro or churchill (depending on the gauge), you'll definitely taste a large difference, especially if the manufacturer doesn't reblend. Alot of the guys around here prefer smaller ring gauges, but there are plenty others who prefer larger gauges as well - its all a matter of personal taste/preference

EDIT - damn, I meant to give a quick answer and wound up writing a short story!!

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Kuzi's excellent Blending 101 thread will answer most, if not all, your quesions: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/6023.aspx. Know that not all of Kuzi's info is in the first post, so read the entire thread to get everything.
    the answer to the question in the first post it discussed in great length on the second page.