Home Non Cigar Related

Advice ...

Hey guys. Been thinking about taking up golf as a hobby this summer . Have several good friends that play.

Question is : Whats the best way to go about learning . I don't really want to go with them and slow them down and all even though they have offered to help me numerous times. I also kinda wonder about going with friends or co-workers as I would think it would be easy to pick up any bad habits they had. What I want to do is learn and practice as much as possible before going with them .

Golf club pro for lessons or what are your recommendations/opinions .

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was playing I started by just going to the driving range; I always found someone there worse than me so it helped a little with the confidence. I then found an "executive course" I think is what they called it; it is a 9 hole par 3 course. Basically all you swing is 9 irons, wedges and your putter and it typically isn't busy so you don't have to play too fast. The other thing I would do is go to the course earlier in the morning 7:00 to 8:00 ish and just play the back 9. Since most tee times start at 6:00, you had no rush and no one behind you that you were delaying so it was always less pressure on the "big" course. Hope this helps.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GET LESSONS!!! I started at the driving range and started to develop bad habits. They are hard to unlearn. If you start with lessons, you re-enforce good practices and you enjoy the game more.

That being said, when I step out on a golf course, people in Scotland roll over in their graves!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    It may sound cliche, but it's actually true that when I have a few beers on the course, I play much better. I dunno if it makes me more relaxed or what. That being said, learn the basics with some lessons and time at the range first.
    The question then becomes, what is the correct number of beers before your game goes to s---?

I used to go to a great barber. The problem was if you went to him too early in the day, before he had two beers, he could cut your ears off! As the day went on, if he had too many beers, he'd cut your ears off. You just had to figure out when he had just the right amount of beer.
    YankeeMan:
    The question then becomes, what is the correct number of beers before your game goes to s---?

I used to go to a great barber. The problem was if you went to him too early in the day, before he had two beers, he could cut your ears off! As the day went on, if he had too many beers, he'd cut your ears off. You just had to figure out when he had just the right amount of beer.

Prime playing conditions exist between 6 and 13 beers. Outside of that range, it's amateur hour. And this is all based on my scientific data, so it has to be right.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Some advice from a guy who plays about once a year, don't take this game to serious or it will drive you crazy. Do it to have fun and for no other reason.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    you have a pm.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I don’t get the chance to play nearly as often as I'd like. I've been playing since I was tall enough to swing the custom cut clubs Dad bought me when I was 5. Suggestion number one is to get a cigar clip that will attach to the rail of the cart. Suggestion number two is don’t waste a GOOD cigar on a bad game of golf, they tend to taste bitterer than ever before. And suggestion number three is to bite the bullet and go with your friends. If they say they are willing to help, let them. Go to the driving range a few times first, but golfing with friends is like being a member of... let’s say a good cigar forum. If they are good friends they will help you out in any way possible. If they give you pointers take them for what they are worth. I have taken many a friend to the golf course and suffered through their first few rounds; it makes your friend feel better about their game and lets you get on the course.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Lessons Lessons Lessons.

I would suggest going to the range with your friends and having them show you the basics if you dont already know. Then later that week get a lesson that will teach you proper grip, stance and swing. If you are lucky that is the only lesson you need. If you find that you have a nasty slice or something you want corrected just get another lesson and if you get a good teacher it will be corrected.

I had a horrible slice and my dad made me take a lesson and the instructor put my back to a fence to ensure that when I swing a club I swing it straight up and straight down. Ever since that day all of my drives have been straight as an arrow which gives me more yardage.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    All good advice guys , thanks for taking the time I appreciate it .
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Golf. I may give it a try. Buy some clubs, take out my bottle of Maker's Mark, and some cigars. Put cllubs in closet, take other items to the deck and enjoy.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    gmill880:
    All good advice guys , thanks for taking the time I appreciate it .
    Here's the best advice of all, which nobody apparently gave you - DONT DO IT! Absolutely the most frustrating, maddening thing Ive ever done in my life. Hobbies and sports are supposed to be for relaxing, enjoyable and fun, and golf is NONE of the above.

I would gladly **** using a cheese grater than EVER pick up a friggin golf club ever again! Save yourself a bunch of time and money and look elsewhere for an enjoyable hobby brother. :-)

docedwards:
    Golf. I may give it a try. Buy some clubs, take out my bottle of Maker's Mark, and some cigars. Put cllubs in closet, take other items to the deck and enjoy.
    If you decide NOT to take my earlier advice (and believe me Gene, I will take NO enjoyment in telling you I TOLD YOU SO on your future "I Hate Golf!" thread), then doc has definitely got the right of how to golf. LOL

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think golf is a great game and encourage you to endure the long, flat learning curve. There are a couple of things you should keep in mind when learning how to play golf:

1. The driving range or practice center is where you practice. The golf course is where you play. Don't go to a course to play golf with your buddies and expect to be taught how to swing on the fairway, that's unfair to the golfers behind you who also paid money to play and expect to play at a certain pace, which leads to the second point:

2. Usually the only etiquette other golfers will really care about on the golf course is the pace. They don't care if you shoot an 80 or a 135 as long as you keep up with the group in front of you. If you keep up then that's all that can be expected even if you're terrible, so what, you're keeping up.

Lessons are a good idea and go to a range at the very least to practice your swing before going to the course to play. At the beginning you'll spend a lot more time at the range than on the course but as soon as you can hit the ball AT ALL you can play on a course. Think of it this way, with all those strokes on your card you'll really be getting your money's worth.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Well all good advice anyway you SLICE IT, Ive been playing all my life. Im not great and i wouldnt consider myself Good but i play nonetheless. On a good day I shoot low 80's on an average day I shoot anywhere from a 90 -100 and some times i shoot in the 110 range. I am not consistant. I got bad habits as a youngster.... a beer a hole and several pinch hitters and a doobie or two durning a round. Since i have been clean almost 12 years i play anywhere from 3-30 times a year. I have neever taken a lesson, spent a goodd bit of time at driving ranges and at the course chipping around the practice greens and putting alot.
    the best advice i have seen yet is NOT TO TAKE IT TO SERIOUSLEY , you will never be a pro and if your lucky you can hold your own and have a great time doing it. its about being out on some beautiful land in the outdoors with the guys. I went 4 times last year... played in 3 scrambles.... won all three... not because im good but because i get a great shot every now and again sink a couple good putts and get lucky with my teams that everyone contributes..... that being said....... ENJOY yourself Glen....... Oh and its F-U-C-K-I-N-G Expensive! LOL
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Well all good advice anyway you SLICE IT, Ive been playing all my life. Im not great and i wouldnt consider myself Good but i play nonetheless. On a good day I shoot low 80's on an average day I shoot anywhere from a 90 -100 and some times i shoot in the 110 range. I am not consistant. I got bad habits as a youngster.... a beer a hole and several pinch hitters and a doobie or two durning a round. Since i have been clean almost 12 years i play anywhere from 3-30 times a year. I have neever taken a lesson, spent a goodd bit of time at driving ranges and at the course chipping around the practice greens and putting alot.
    the best advice i have seen yet is NOT TO TAKE IT TO SERIOUSLEY , you will never be a pro and if your lucky you can hold your own and have a great time doing it. its about being out on some beautiful land in the outdoors with the guys. I went 4 times last year... played in 3 scrambles.... won all three... not because im good but because i get a great shot every now and again sink a couple good putts and get lucky with my teams that everyone contributes..... that being said....... ENJOY yourself Glen....... Oh and its F-U-C-K-I-N-G Expensive! LOL
    Big deal. I shoot 80's all the time. Usually, the second hole is worse!

Thanks for the in-put guys ... much appreciated .
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I don't know how I missed this thread until now, but I got the best advice for ya Gene! Come to Texas and I can teach you the basics so I have an excuse to get out and actually play! Haaa I haven't played in over 6 months!
    PuroFreak:
    I don't know how I missed this thread until now, but I got the best advice for ya Gene! Come to Texas and I can teach you the basics so I have an excuse to get out and actually play! Haaa I haven't played in over 6 months!

Haha That would be fun ! If I were only closer . We could enjoy some good cigars and some fine spirits ...... and oh yeah , play some golf . : )
    Redtailhawkoz:
    that being said....... ENJOY yourself Glen....... Oh and its F-U-C-K-I-N-G Expensive! LOL
    Allow me to tell you the story behind my hatred & vitriol when it comes to golf...

Cliff's notes version: the last time I walked away from a golf course, I did so in my stocking feet. When I started that day, I had a complete set of clubs, more golf balls than any TWO humans could go thru in a lifetime, and all the bells & whistles equipment wise.

On the second hole, balls started disappearing into the rough and out of bounds because my game fell apart so badly.

Shortly thereafter, thrown clubs started following the balls into the tall weeds.

On the 18th hole, I sank my last putt. With a THREE WOOD. It was the only club I had left.

But that was OK, because I had just putted the last ball I had left.

Which I retrieved - then heaved, along with the three wood, into the water hazard that surrounded the 18th hole.

On my way thru the clubhouse, I got a sheet of paper, wrote FREE TO GOOD HOME on it, and hung it on my now-empty golf bag... leaving it in the clubhouse as I stormed out into the parking lot with hellfire curling off the top of my head from being so homicidally angry.

On the way to the car, I see some duffer walking to the clubhouse to start his day.

"HEY!" I scream at the unsuspecting golfer, "WHAT SIZE SHOES DO YOU WEAR???"

9 1/2 he replies.

"Good - me too!" I tell him as I rip the cleats off my feet and hand them to him. "$90 dollar pair, used today only. I wont be needing them anymore!" Drove away in my stockings, and have never looked back since.

Trust me Geno...

Pencil sharpener.

WAAAAAAY less painful & frustrating. :-D

The Sniper:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    that being said....... ENJOY yourself Glen....... Oh and its F-U-C-K-I-N-G Expensive! LOL
    Allow me to tell you the story behind my hatred & vitriol when it comes to golf...

Cliff's notes version: the last time I walked away from a golf course, I did so in my stocking feet. When I started that day, I had a complete set of clubs, more golf balls than any TWO humans could go thru in a lifetime, and all the bells & whistles equipment wise.

On the second hole, balls started disappearing into the rough and out of bounds because my game fell apart so badly.

Shortly thereafter, thrown clubs started following the balls into the tall weeds.

On the 18th hole, I sank my last putt. With a THREE WOOD. It was the only club I had left.

Which I retrieved - then heaved, along with the three wood, into the water hazard that surrounded the 18th hole.

On my way thru the clubhouse, I got a sheet of paper, wrote FREE TO GOOD HOME on it, and hung it on my now-empty golf bag... leaving it in the clubhouse as I stormed out into the parking lot with hellfire curling off the top of my head from being so homicidally angry.

On the way to the car, I see some duffer walking to the clubhouse to start his day.

9 1/2 he replies.

"Good - me too!" I tell him as I rip the cleats off my feet and hand them to him. "$90 dollar pair, used today only. I wont be needing them anymore!" Drove away in my stockings, and have never looked back since.

Trust me Geno...

Pencil sharpener.

Your story literally just made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing, it made my day!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It may be a bit late, but - lessons, Lessons, LESSONS!!

You will NOT pick up this game without lessons - if you think you're having fun playing without lessons from a club pro, you'll get 10x more enjoyment if you take proper lessons and learn a proper swing now, rather than learning it half-ass, you'll be better off and won't be having trouble down the line when you start slicing or hooking it. If you get a good swing grooved in now, then later when you have problems, you'll only need 1 or 2 lessons to correct something, rather than hours upon hours re-learning a swing because you never learned it in the first place. Spend the extra money and learn from a pro - they'll teach you not only the proper swing and how to move your weight thru the swing, they'll tell you why you're doing it.

Someone once asked a pro at my local club what kinda clubs he should start out with as a newbie - the pro replied, "Most people go out and spend thousands of dollars on clubs and only a few hundred on lessons - do the opposite. It's the indian, not the arrow that makes a good player". Best advice for a newbie I ever heard.

A pro can break par with clubs from the 1950's - it's all about the individual player, not what equipment they use. That said, once you can break 100, it's a very good idea to get custom fitted for a proper set of clubs - at that point, you can really appreciate the difference in custom fitted vs off the wrack (a fitting shoudl take 2-4 hrs and probably costs around $50 on top of the equipment). Edwinn Watts or Golf Galaxy is good, but be aware that like cigars, some golf manufacturers only sell to certain retail outlets - Golf Galaxy doesn't have all the clubs, but Edwinn Watts should have a higher-end selection.

Secondly - so as not to have someone wrap a 9-iron around your neck, ask your buddies (or go online and read) about "Ready Golf" - it's playing the game and moving quick enough that the people behind you aren't tempted to hit into you to get you moving. EVERYONE hates slow play on the course, so for the love of God, don't be "that group" that slows the entire course down.

Finally, more than anything else, golf is a game of etiquette. If you don't wanna be embarrassed when the range officer comes up and asks you to leave the course (yes, they will ask you to leave if you're rude enough), spend $10 and pick up a Dummies book of Golf Etiquette (or something similar) - just as there are certain manners you observe at a fancy restaurant, there are manners you need to know and observe on the golf course.

EDIT - if you want a good golf magazine, check out Golf Digest or Golf magazine (I prefer Golf over GD - more articles about the swing, less about bio's on up-and-coming young pro's)
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:
    Redtailhawkoz:

9 1/2 he replies.

Trust me Geno...

Pencil sharpener.

Your story literally just made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing, it made my day!

I just lost it in the middle of the coffe shop and got some eyes from my 1SG sitting on the other side of the room. Had to play it off like I was Skyping with my kids!
    I can laugh looking back at it now, but I honestly cannot remember being so absolutely blindly-out-of-control in a RAGE as I was then. Will never even take the chance on getting that pissed again.

• Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    My advice is to play using Winter Rules and get good with the most important club you have, the foot wedge, it can get you out of any rough and out from behind any tree. Not really, get a lesson or two. The longer you play without correcting your bad habits the longer it will take to fix them. I played for years without lessons and it took a long time to fix my swing, not that its all that good now but its better.
    Dustin1981:
    My advice is to play using Winter Rules and get good with the most important club you have, the foot wedge, it can get you out of any rough and out from behind any tree.

And just remember, the score is whatever you write on the card! That being said, I start on the Tour next week!
    skweekz:
    Dustin1981:
    My advice is to play using Winter Rules and get good with the most important club you have, the foot wedge, it can get you out of any rough and out from behind any tree.

And just remember, the score is whatever you write on the card! That being said, I start on the Tour next week!

Wait a minute, three out of five of my kids play sports and they say you dont keep score anymore... I thought that was for all sports, does that mean I have to start keeping score at golf again? What a pisser!
    DSWarmack:
    does that mean I have to start keeping score at golf again? What a pisser!

You don't really need to "keep" score...just write something on the card. I find it's easiest to just fill 'er out before you leave the clubhouse. That way you don't forget during the round!
  • Now I am sure I will get stomped for this, but golf must have been a joke that the other guy didn't get if it was invented in Scotland. Trust me.

picture this. One Scotish guys says to another "hav I got a game fur you"
    Other guy "whit is it Tam"
    Tam " yu got this wee tiny whit baw with wee tiny divits init right. Nd you got this long stick wit a bulgie bit on the end right. Now you hit the wee ball all the way over ere inta that wee hole"
    Other Guy "ballocks Tam I aint that stupid. Lets have a pint"

I'm just saying.
    The Sniper:
    Redtailhawkoz:

9 1/2 he replies.

Trust me Geno...

Pencil sharpener.

OMG Sniper if I ever make it onto a course how am I going to get that image out of my head !?!?!? LMAO !!!