Home Cigar 101

newbie here

Hello everyone. I'm an occasional smoker that would just go to my local shop and purchase a cigar whenever the urge struck me. I recently received a humidor as a gift. With some ups and downs I believe I have the humidity stabilized. My question is because my use is infrequent, what are your thoughts of using gels or Boveda packs for long term maintainence of my humidor. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, welcome to the forums. Second, now that you've found us, your humidor is likely to get a lot more use. Third, I've only ever used the pucks and water pillows, and have had great success with these, but a lot of guys have reported mold problems with the pucks, and you'll find many who prefer the beads. Whatever you do, the best advice I know is: Keep the humidor stocked! CCOM will be glad to help you with this, and you'll find you're spending much less than you were.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Amos is right - keep the humi stocked if you want a stable humidity. In a humi, the cigars are actually the primary humidifiers, with the beads or humidity device only providing backup - the more full your humi is, the more stable the RH will be.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    WELCOME ABOARD! ... and what they said :)
  • Baby steps, baby steps...and thanks
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    Welcome and keep it stocked. If you run out of room then the guys here will be glad to "hold" onto some of them for u!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Let me guess, probably a 20 ct or 50 ct humi and your thinking that is a lot of cigars. You may as well buy a bigger one now because you are going to need it.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums bro...yeah what the guys said lol
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Let me guess, probably a 20 ct or 50 ct humi and your thinking that is a lot of cigars. You may as well buy a bigger one now because you are going to need it.

My favorite is when the wife asks "so you actually NEED one that holds 300?" Apparently the correct reply isn't "well yeah, for now"
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    fla-gypsy:
    I didn't take this advice when I started and started out with a 50-count, then in a few months I had bought a 100-count, then a few months later, a 300-count. Now I have tupperware housing a lot of my cigars, and I'm eyeing a few cabinets, lol
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    It's been a while since I've done it, but you can keep boveda packs in an empty, or almost empty humidor and they'll keep humidity about 5-6 rh lower than what the pack is rated at. Having cigars in there, like everyone said, is better and causes the rh to come closer to whatever the pack is rated for. I don't know anything about gels.

Edit: I should add that the humidor needs to be seasoned properly, as well as needing to have the requisite number of packs for it's size to work.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    fla-gypsy:

My favorite is when the wife asks "so you actually NEED one that holds 300?" Apparently the correct reply isn't "well yeah, for now"
    another example of how females don't understand spatial relationships
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thefiftyfive:
    My question is because my use is infrequent, what are your thoughts of using gels or Boveda packs for long term maintainence of my humidor. Thanks in advance.
    ive been using the above mentioned beads for years and i love them. but i recently have found a new love for the Xikar gels jars. Xikar puts out good stuff.
  • kuzi16:
    ive been using the above mentioned beads for years and i love them. but i recently have found a new love for the Xikar gels jars. Xikar puts out good stuff.
    Thanks