Home Cigar 101

Humidification

What is the absolute best form of low maintenance humidification you can buy. I bought the humistat tube which seems to work good but i must frequently re-charge the thing.Anybody got any suggestions on what to get so i dont have to keep opening my humi and checkin my RH all the damn time.low maintenance and inexpensive yet effective. Thanks in advance

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are serious about low maintenance and inexpensive yet effective there is nothing that beats a coolidor with beads. I haven't charged my beads in 6 months and it maintains a perfect 65%. If you want to continue using the humi I have to say that I love the beads more than I ever loved my Cigar Oasis.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cigar Oasis for me - I have a 300-count humidor, and I have a CO in the bottom, and two small tubes of beads on top to absorb excess humidity - rock solid humidity all day long.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I was a bead doubter for a long time. I had always used the gel jars but got tired of replacing them. Since I got the beads I havent had to do much of anything. I have 1lb in a minifridge and I actually had to dry some of them out during the summer. This winter I have not had to charge them yet, they have kept it at a solid 67%. For the price I dont think you can beat them.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I have the gel jars as of right now but as soon as they're dead, I'll be replacing them with beads. It's the only way to go.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    xmacro:
    Cigar Oasis for me - I have a 300-count humidor, and I have a CO in the bottom, and two small tubes of beads on top to absorb excess humidity - rock solid humidity all day long.
    +1 - in a larger sized humidor / coolidor, this is THE premium setup IMHO....

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    skweekz:
    I have the gel jars as of right now but as soon as they're dead, I'll be replacing them with beads. It's the only way to go.
    I am apparently the only person in the history of the forums too stupid to use the beads correctly, because I have had WAY better results with gel jars than beads.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Big Ern:
    What is the absolute best form of low maintenance humidification you can buy.
    I would say Boveda packs. I change mine out every 2-3 months, and I don't have to open my humidors to check the rh. Hell, I don't even have to keep a hygrometer in there, they are that solid.

Now if you're going to add "inexpensive" to the list of requirements then it's debatable. I spend 30-50 bucks a year on Boveda packs. Some might not be comfortable with that expenditure. Beads would probably be a better option for that person. I've got beads too, but they definitely require more work. At least that's what my experience has been so far. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems like in the winter I need to add water once a week to keep them going. I forget, or don't always have time to fiddle with the things.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Big Ern:
    Anybody got any suggestions on what to get so i dont have to keep opening my humi and checkin my RH all the damn time.
    i love checking my RH. it gives me an opportunity to smell my collection.

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i love checking my RH. it gives me an opportunity to smell my collection.

+1 to this! And here I thought I was the only one that loves to do that!
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    My home office has my 5 ft tall humi in it and every time I walk in to do work I get the sweet scent of Cedar...yum.