Home Cigar 101

How to repair a wrapper.

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Anyone have any good ideas for repairing a wrapper, (before and after lighting)? My biggest problem is usually at the cut, where a crack in the wrapper begins to form. I hate tossing the stick and usually try to salvage it with saliva and fingers. Do the clippers work any better than the guillotines? Thanks for any ideas in advance Rick

Comments

• GarheadGarhead Posts: 41
    Get some powdered pectin at the supermarket. It's odorless and flavorless. Mix a tiny bit with a little water until it's kind of sticky/tacky and wipe a little on the damaged spot. Wait a few minutes for it to set and you're good to go! I've done it a few times and works perfectly. If it's near the nub and getting wet with your saliva, it may come undone again though.
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I have also seen a few sites sell a repair "glue" which I am pretty sure is exactly the same as what Garhead just noted (Pectin is probably a cheaper alternative). Great info Garhead!

Maybe keep some spare Tobacco leaf of various wrappers to use as a band aid. :) J/K
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If a cracked cap at the cut is the problem and you're using your own cutter, try putting the cap in your mouth and rolling it around once - to get some moisture on the cap (don't throat the thing - that's just gross) - then cut. The moisture helps make the wrapper a little more pliable so I find it doesn't crack as much, if at all.
  • GarheadGarhead Posts: 41
    xmacro:
    If a cracked cap at the cut is the problem and you're using your own cutter, try putting the cap in your mouth and rolling it around once - to get some moisture on the cap (don't throat the thing - that's just gross) - then cut. The moisture helps make the wrapper a little more pliable so I find it doesn't crack as much, if at all.
    +1, I'll do that before I cut as well. Nice advice.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Garhead:
    xmacro:
    +1, I'll do that before I cut as well. Nice advice.
    I also find that moistening the cap before I cut helps. Also, make sure your cutter is sharp. Crappy cutters get dull easily. When that happens, the blades "crush" rather than cut the cap, which could result in a cracked wrapper. Cutting well above the cap line can also avoid cracked wrappers.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Also, make sure your cutter is sharp. Crappy cutters get dull easily. When that happens, the blades "crush" rather than cut the cap, which could result in a cracked wrapper.

I was just gonna suggest this. I had a problem with cracking because my cutter was absolute crap and pretty much just pinched the hell outta the cap instead of cutting it cleanly.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    thanks guys. cigar glue? who'd a thunk it.
  • Good helpful thread gets five stars!

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I certainly think so! Thanks guys.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, make sure you're not cutting too much off, that tends to make the wrapper unravel.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Also, make sure you're not cutting too much off, that tends to make the wrapper unravel.
    +1 I had this problem a lot when I was starting out, I think because I was trying to remove the entire cap. Now I go about 2/3 of the way up the cap and it seems to work better. At least if there is any damage its to the cap instead of the wrapper. Obviously I test the draw to make sure I got enough though.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    beatnic:
    thanks guys. cigar glue? who'd a thunk it.
    This pectin/water combo is the same thing they use to glue the lable on the cigar. Some times you'll see spots on a cigar where glue from the lable was drizzeled. This happens quite alot on one of my favorite cigars, Ashton Herritage.