Home Cigar 101

Aging potential

The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
Was wondering about today's cigar deal, Gurkha Triple Ligero. Is it a good smoke? Has anyone aged these? Do you think they have aging potential? Which cigars anyone has aged? Looking to age something soon but still learning. So many questions, so many cigars.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    never had that gurkha.

generally speaking, anything with a good amount of power will age better than things that dont.
    but even then, not all cigars will age well.

for instance, i like the Liga Privada No9 right off the truck. that is a great cigar. I put two years of age on one and it mellowed out in a way that i didnt like. the coffee side of the cigar was now the focus and im not into that as much as the next guy is.

a cigar that ages very well is the Camacho Triple Maduro.

the OpusX also age well. in fact i feel that they NEED the age to be good.

another cigar that i like to age is the El Cobre. age does good things to it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Cant speak to aging TOO much, as I have just really started exploring that aspect of our beloved hobby. I can tell you that a CAO L'Aniversaire Maduro is amazing with about a year on it, and Cubao's seem to blossom with age also.

I can, however, speak to the Gurkha Triple Ligero - excellent smoke IMHO! Pretty potent, puts out a ton of smoke and has a decently long yummy finish to it. Recommended! :-)

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Wish I could tell you. I actually have a Triple Ligero that's been sitting in my humi for over a year. As it's been mentioned, a very general rule of thumb is that the more powerful cigars tend to age better.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    never had that gurkha.

generally speaking, anything with a good amount of power will age better than things that dont.

for instance, i like the Liga Privada No9 right off the truck. that is a great cigar. I put two years of age on one and it mellowed out in a way that i didnt like. the coffee side of the cigar was now the focus and im not into that as much as the next guy is.

+1 on the Camacho and Opus. IMO, i think the diesel unlimited has great aging potential. I have a few that i've taken the cello off and put in my aging humi. Hope I'm right about those.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    I'm still new at this too, but may I throw the proverbial monkey wrench? Don't different cigars peak at different ages? Where an Opus "blossoms" after years, maybe something else (say an SCCC) is best at 6 months or a year?

Second question: is there any way to tell, or guess, at which flavors might fade and which develop over time? I understand that stronger cigars typically age better, but everything changes with age, even just a few months (at least in the early stages of a cigar's life). Are there any rules of thumb for which flavors fade first? or for how flavors tend to shift? or is it too idiosyncratic?
    generally speaking the spice seems to go away first in my experience. they get smoother first. any sharper flavors mellow.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I have some Sancho Panza Double Maduros and Perdomo Lot 23 Maduros that are just amazing now.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Mephisto:
    I'm still new at this too, but may I throw the proverbial monkey wrench? Don't different cigars peak at different ages? Where an Opus "blossoms" after years, maybe something else (say an SCCC) is best at 6 months or a year?
    That's true in general, though the SCCC isn't a good example as they age wonderfully. With 2 years on a box of #4 they smoke great and I like them better than fresh, and I liked them a whole lot with no age.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a box of LGC Serie R #5's in my humi for just over 3 years now and they are smoking great, I only have a couple left and am hoping they, at least 1, makes it to 4 years.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Cant speak to aging TOO much, as I have just really started exploring that aspect of our beloved hobby. I can tell you that a CAO L'Aniversaire Maduro is amazing with about a year on it, and Cubao's seem to blossom with age also.

I can, however, speak to the Gurkha Triple Ligero - excellent smoke IMHO! Pretty potent, puts out a ton of smoke and has a decently long yummy finish to it. Recommended! :-)

x2, my favorite gurkha (and only one I've really come to like!)
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    never had that gurkha.

x2 on the OpusX...trying to start a nice collection now with the intent on rotating certain batches after a certain period of time...some of the local B&M have them at insane prices, plan on picking up my last batch tomorrow...11-13 bucks you can't beat that price. Heard the same with Camacho Triple Maduros...not sure about the LP9s...again, had some aged OpusX gifted to me that were insane...couldn't believe the difference...first one I had ROTT was horrible...just my 2 cents
    j0z3r:
    Mephisto:
    That's true in general, though the SCCC isn't a good example as they age wonderfully. With 2 years on a box of #4 they smoke great and I like them better than fresh, and I liked them a whole lot with no age.

glad to hear it! I 've got a box of the SCCC aging just to see. I've only had one, with 6 months, but I can't wait to try them across a longer span of time.
    kuzi16:
    generally speaking the spice seems to go away first in my experience. they get smoother first. any sharper flavors mellow.

sorry for the repeat post, but. . . have you noticed a general time frame for this? I mean how long until the spice becomes subtle?
    Mephisto:
    kuzi16:

sorry for the repeat post, but. . . have you noticed a general time frame for this? I mean how long until the spice becomes subtle?
    nope. that is different depending on the cigar.
    here is an old thread that talks a bit more of age: CLICK

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    sightunseen:
    Wish I could tell you. I actually have a Triple Ligero that's been sitting in my humi for over a year. As it's been mentioned, a very general rule of thumb is that the more powerful cigars tend to age better.
    In an interesting side note, I had a BOTL recently tell me that he recently smoked a Gurkha Turk with a year on it that was significantly better than when he first got them.

Which is saying something, because IMHO Turks are pretty good as soon as you get em. :-)