Home Cigar 101

First cigar

Just smoked a Sancho Panza Aragon 6-1/4 x 54. First smoke since quitting cigarettes 17 years ago, and first hand rolled cigar ever. I really enjoyed it! 1 of a 6 pack of Honduras cigars I bought at a cigar store. I think I may have a new hobby.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Welcome to Nirvana. Sit and enjoy a good smoke. Stay awhile.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Always remember the first one. I was also hooked after my first. The taste of a good cigar after smoking cigarettes for years was a real eye opener. Never realized what good tobacco tasted like. Have a great time sampling all the varieties. Just wish I had started 17 years ago.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Welcome to your new money spender.
    One God, One Truth
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on discovering the tasty side of tobacco.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, I guess I am lucky I started with cigars and never went to cigarettes.
    Try as you may money will leave your wallet, but at least it is for a good cause...Great cigars.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Rasputin:
    Just smoked a Sancho Panza Aragon 6-1/4 x 54. First smoke since quitting cigarettes 17 years ago, and first hand rolled cigar ever. I really enjoyed it! 1 of a 6 pack of Honduras cigars I bought at a cigar store. I think I may have a new hobby.
    Welcome friend, nothing better than a good strong cigar with a coffee or beer. Any relation to the mad Russian monk? lol
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to CCom, Rasputin. Hope you get to stay awhile. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask anyone here. And glad to hear you like this new hobby. Tasty and relaxing.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    My first real handmade cigar was a Sancho Panza too. It's all downhill from here. Good luck.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    The deffinition of Humidor is very similar to that of a Boat: a cabinet that you store your money in and burn it when you pull it out. Who knew burning money could taste so good? I've been on this forum for about a week now and everyone here is VERY knowledgeable and generous. Froma new member of the family welcome home!
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, I met jsnake and JCizzle. These two guys have been very helpful. So, thanks and I look forward to many smoking adventures with you all......
    Oh, I almost forgot. My first cigar was a CAO Flavours Earth Nectar back in November. Yes, I'm new to smoking all together. Now I know some of you guys are going to say what the.... But, I have to admit at the time it taste great and it sparked me to venture out to a more traditional cigar. The more I read, the more I become interested in different cigars. The one I like the most right now is the AF #77 and their limited. Go figure. So, as you can see, I've come a long way in a short time, lol....
    RCY Cigars:
    I know what you mean, I met jsnake and JCizzle. These two guys have been very helpful. So, thanks and I look forward to many smoking adventures with you all......

Jcizzle doesn't have a clue, he just got lucky and was sent somewhere where they have decent cigars for cheap. I'm just kidding, everyone on here is absolutly awesome. Everyone has helped me with any question I've had and I'd say that almost all the ones on the board every day have donated to my cigar club! Its by far the best place to get honest unbiased (other than personal) answers from good harted people who want everyone to enjoy this awesome adventure into cigars.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. You will find this a very informative, although crazy group!

I smoked machine made cigars for years until my younger son went to college and brought me home a man made. I've been hooked ever since. I've learned a lot here and the people at ccom are very helpful when you call them for info or advice. Speaking of which, my advice is to start looking for a larger humidor!
    @YankeeMan, thanks and you are right. Since November, I have already bought two humidors. Should have bought a three or four hundred count and been done with it. For now, lol.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    RCY Cigars:
    Oh, I almost forgot. My first cigar was a CAO Flavours Earth Nectar back in November. Yes, I'm new to smoking all together. Now I know some of you guys are going to say what the.... But, I have to admit at the time it taste great and it sparked me to venture out to a more traditional cigar. The more I read, the more I become interested in different cigars. The one I like the most right now is the AF #77 and their limited. Go figure. So, as you can see, I've come a long way in a short time, lol....
    You'll find a lot of guys who started with infused cigars and moved onto traditional ones; a few of the guys on these boards still smoke infused from time to time - all personal preference. That said, know that infused cigars get ripped on a lot (all in good fun tho)

In either case, welcome to the forums and a new (very expensive, but very relaxing) hobby!!
    @xmacro, thanks...
    xmacro:
    RCY Cigars:
    You'll find a lot of guys who started with infused cigars and moved onto traditional ones; a few of the guys on these boards still smoke infused from time to time - all personal preference. That said, know that infused cigars get ripped on a lot (all in good fun tho)

In either case, welcome to the forums and a new (very expensive, but very relaxing) hobby!!
    I I agree. You'll read about coffee and chocolate flavors. Cedar and spices. Nutmeg and whatnot. What we are all really looking for is good tasting " tobacco"
  • OP here. I just smoked another one, a Pinar Del Rio Clasico. Enjoyed it even more! I think I have learned a little about how to smoke these, a full draw right from the start each time. I was doing little puffs first before a long draw, that just gets things hot and gives it more bite. This cigar was smoother and had a richer flavor, I can taste some of the things I've read about. And I knew it was OK to drink coffee with it, that added to the experience.

Was at the local B&M (bricks & mortar?) today, set up a tupperwareador with a dozen cigars and a bead tube. I'm traveling in a Winnebago, I'll be back to my sticks & bricks middle on March, then I'll set up a proper humidor.

I wanted to wait a full day to see if my old friend nicotine addiction would return. I think I am OK, this is a totally different experience than cigarettes. I'd heard stories of guys starting back on cigs after playing with cigars, and had long lamented that I couldn't ever enjoy relaxing with a cigar. Bull! I think I will be fine. Only slipped back into habit once and had a big inhale, it sure got my attention!

Wow, it was relaxing sitting outside with the dog, enjoying that cigar. Right towards the end, a couple children came out to an empty campsite across the street and hand fed the tame deer here. Yes, Nirvana.

Thanks for the warm welcome. BTW, Rasputin was a kitty cat who lived a long life terrorizing dogs, birds, and coffee tables.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    About the draw; you're right that it's a full draw - if you take short puffs, you only heat up the tobacco which turns it bitter. If you wanna know what a proper draw is like, take a glass of water and a straw - suck the water in then spit it out - that's how your draws should be. You use the suction from your cheeks, not from your throat, to pull the smoke in.

Anyway, it's good to hear you're not slipping back!! The nicotine in cigars is more than cigarettes, but it's drawn out over a larger time period, and isn't addicting. Most of us without a man cave stop cigars cold-turkey when the weather gets cold - no withdrawal from any of us, unless you count missing the warmer days, lol.

As for pairing a drink with a cigar, you can use just about anything from water to liquor - anything you think complements the cigar you're smoking is fine!
    The cigar will determine how you smoke it. All are a bit different ... Iquit cigarets after starting cigars. The flavor of a cigaret now disgusts me. Long ashes, my friend
    Compounding on Xmacro: I've found that you can never go wrong with a nice cold glass of sweet tea with a cigar. I've been in multiple countries that dont allow liqour, and i dont drink much in my old age, but Sweet tea is always available, and you can make it in your canteen cup. As for getting it cold, there is always the sock method...