Home General Discussion

Thoughts on my winter humidification method

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I live in northern MN and have a basic model humidor.  The past few years no matter what I tried I could not keep the humidity level above 60-65 in it.

This year I put all my cigars into a big ziplock bag, tossed a humidification pillow in it and it has been sitting at 70-72 all winter long.

This seems perfect but then I got thinking maybe there is something I am missing with this.  Kind of a stupid question but are there any drawbacks to doing it this way in the winter?  Most are in wrappers and the ones that aren't I try to keep away from the other unwrapped ones so they don't mingle flavors.   Anything I'm missing here?   Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just sense maybe I am missing something with what I am doing.

Comments

• TGOTGO Posts: 340 ✭✭
    ZAP:
    I live in northern MN and have a basic model humidor.  The past few years no matter what I tried I could not keep the humidity level above 60-65 in it.

This year I put all my cigars into a big ziplock bag, tossed a humidification pillow in it and it has been sitting at 70-72 all winter long.

This seems perfect but then I got thinking maybe there is something I am missing with this.  Kind of a stupid question but are there any drawbacks to doing it this way in the winter?  Most are in wrappers and the ones that aren't I try to keep away from the other unwrapped ones so they don't mingle flavors.   Anything I'm missing here?   Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just sense maybe I am missing something with what I am doing.

I used to keep all my overflow in ziplocks w humi pillows... IMHO it is fine for short periods (less than 6 months) I did find that after that if you do not open the bags the humidity can build up past 80% and you risk mold (I lost some sticks this way)... humi pillows are not regulated in how they release humidity like bovida for example... over the winter you should be OK IMHO... reseason the humi and put them back in when spring gets in full swing :)
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I think they will be fine at 65%, I keep mine at around 65% always.
    Light 'em up.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Other than the humidity buildup which can cause (and ammonia gassing) which was mentioned above (which can be easily alleviated by opening the bag a couple times a week), about the only thing you really risk using ziplocks are physical protection. Also, keeping them (the ziplocks) out of direct sunlight is probably a good idea too.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't mason jars be better than ziplocks? Good seal and protection from handling. Have the same problem up here in ME, but keeping the large humi @ 67% and the small @ 60-65%. The small one is opened frequently. Tried to overstock small humi with beads and water pillows to replenish quickly after opening. Overstocked the large with extra beads and a few water pillows. When room becomes available I throw a jel-jar in as well. Being farily new to the sport, I'm still learning and floundering around.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Its a constant battle! Just watch it often is the safest thing to do. I struggle with mine and when ever there is a season change I fight for two wks then It holds for a while. I just ran a weather strip around my tower because the seal sucked and now my moist n air is not running all day like before... and a new learning curve.