Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O' War Puro Authentico

Ok, since nobody has officially put this out here yet I thought I would.
Bear with me I am not the greatest reviewer

The smell of the pre-light stick was spicy and tickled the nose. The wrapper was seamless, oily and looked great with the shaggy foot and the pig-tail cap. The Habano wrapper was reddish-brown and I could not get over the 42 gauge ring size since I usually smoke 54+

I choose to just pinch off the cap at the pig tail instead of cutting, the cold draw was perfect and also had a touch of spice. It took no time to toast the foot and then get it lit, the first draw was spicy with a subtle pepper note on the front of the tongue.

The spice was rich but not overpowering and the pepper kind of came and went thoughout the first 1/2. I picked up a woodsy note also, it wasn't really oak or cedar, but definitely woodsy. There was a great toasty note also. I did pick up a subtle brown sugar note on the finish in the first 1/2

The 2nd half the flavors changed and opened up a bit the hint of pepper disappeared the spice remain and a leather note became present and a flavor of tea the finish lost the brown sugar note but the toasty flavor stayed.

The last 1/4 the subtle pepper returned with the spicey and a caramel flavor appeared with the toasty, but the tea was gone.

The smoke from this little stick was incredible, huge thick white clouds. The burn was razor-sharp.

The total smoking time was and 1.5 hours

This is actually a really powerful little smoke I would recommend having something in your stomach before you smoke it.

I think I have a new favorite. Thanks Alex for talking AJ into putting these into production for us to try.

I would rate this around a 93 personally I thought it was that good, it lost some points for wrapper flaws, and a bit to much glue on the cap and one soft spot.

Comments

• t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Nice review. Sounds like an excellent stick. Since it warmed up a bit today I believe this will be a perfect stick to have tonight after dinner.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, thanks for getting something up on here so quickly. I think I'm gonna try one tuesday and its nice to know what to expect!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Shotgun I thought that was a fine review. Lots of good detail and description...I have some on the way so I am now awaiting them even more!
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Just finished my first. Thought it had some excellent flavors with just the right amount of spice. My experience wasn't as good as most though, mine seemed to have some construction issues. It had a plugged spot right under the band which made the draw a bit firm and i believe kept the burn from being good and eventually it wouldn't stay lit. With these problems about half way through the flavor profile went south. Hopefully this was a one in a million thing.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    ejean told be about these and I bought 'em five minutes later, if that. They come today, it'll be rough holding off for a week for these...
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    betasynn:
    ejean told be about these and I bought 'em five minutes later, if that. They come today, it'll be rough holding off for a week for these...
    go ahead and light one up brother! I smoked my first about 3 hours after I picked them up from the PO and it was pretty great. I had one again the next day and it was even better ha
    They come in today, I'm pretty stoked.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Damn this thing whacked me upside the head last night. . . a long winter of not smoking much and I think I need to build back up to something this strong. Tasted real good though.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Smoking one right now. Loads of black pepper, huge leathery aftertaste with lots of little butter, anise, and a hint of maybe orange peel? Love this stick. First few puffs were so-so but it takes off.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I couldn't resist and just ordered a box of these. Yea me!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I also have a box of these coming in todays order. They sounded too good to pass on.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I get the new humi ready I am getting a box of these.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I'm praying mine gets here Monday. Living overseas sucks sometimes....
  • just got my box in! SO STOKED! gotta find time to smoke one ASAP
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    SOB I've been gone too long!!!!! I can't believe I missed the release of a new MOW blend. Guess I'll be ordering a box asap, unless someone has some extras they would be willing to trade. This is definitely at the top of my priority list now.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    SOB I've been gone too long!!!!! I can't believe I missed the release of a new MOW blend. Guess I'll be ordering a box asap, unless someone has some extras they would be willing to trade. This is definitely at the top of my priority list now.
    Chase, do yourself a favor and just order the box, don't settle just for a couple in a trade.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, been thinking of buying a box, will now. Seems you can't go wrong with AJ. How long to rest them before smoking?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Thanks, been thinking of buying a box, will now. Seems you can't go wrong with AJ. How long to rest them before smoking?
    I had my first one 3 hours after I picked them up from the post office. The second one was the next night. Both of them were fantastic! They are really great fresh, but I kinda want to age some and see where they are at in about a year.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    I had my first one cut before the mailman even pulled out of my driveway. It's a great smoke. Really doesn't need much rest.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    The3Stogies:
    I had my first one cut before the mailman even pulled out of my driveway. It's a great smoke. Really doesn't need much rest.
    Very nice. Mine only had as many hours of rest as they did because I was at work when they were delivered. Just an awesome cigar.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    bandyt09:
    cholmes8310:
    Chase, do yourself a favor and just order the box, don't settle just for a couple in a trade.
    would if i could. I haven't had time to smoke much in the past six months. Working too much. So my humidor is full. I only have room for about 8 sticks. Think I'm gonna just pick up a fiver from Andy.