Home Ratings & Reviews

Cusano Habano LXI Robusto

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Well fellas, it's been a while since I have posted here. But yesterday in Western Montana the sun was shining, it hit 65 degrees!, and it was a perfect day to smoke. So for lunch I sat on the dock here at the Fire Cache and lit up the above mentioned cigar.

It lit up fine, but initially it was not producing much smoke. But after a half inch it settled in and turned out to be a little chimney. A wonderful flavor, with a bit of a bite, but not too much. I ended up smoking this one down to the nub, where I only (regretfully) pitched it because it was getting too hot.

Once again Cusano has not let me down. This is one I can recommend to my friends...easily. And to think I have three of the perfectos left, quietly waiting their turn :D "RRS" = Mmmmmm

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    just tried the cusano lxi and the cusano 59 a couple of weeks ago. smoked another cusano 59 yesterday at work (slow day) had a bit of a draw problem with the lxi but not bad, enjoyed both smokes but enjoyed cusano 59 a little more.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a good day! Cusano is a brand I'm not to familiar with, though I have 2 18's in my humi.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    just tried the cusano lxi and the cusano 59 a couple of weeks ago. smoked another cusano 59 yesterday at work (slow day) had a bit of a draw problem with the lxi but not bad, enjoyed both smokes but enjoyed cusano 59 a little more.
    Did you notice the power, or full bodied nature of these cigars.. I cant't remember which one, but one of these monsters knocked me down.. I have been smoking a long time and can't remember a stronger cigar.. I was driving at the time and really had to pull over, newbies beware.

Kas , It had to be the lxi, gave me a bit of a rush too. The 59 i'm really considering putting a few up for awhile to see how they age although i've been enjoying straight from the shop.

gmill880:

Kas , It had to be the lxi, gave me a bit of a rush too. The 59 i'm really considering putting a few up for awhile to see how they age although i've been enjoying straight from the shop.

Well thanks for that info.. I was wondering which was the badass of the two..
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    Did you notice the power, or full bodied nature of these cigars.. I cant't remember which one, but one of these monsters knocked me down.. I have been smoking a long time and can't remember a stronger cigar.. I was driving at the time and really had to pull over, newbies beware.
    I have never sampled the Cusano 59 yet, though there is one in my humi resting. But probably gmill is correct, as the LXI is a strong smoke, though I smoked mine right after a meal so probably that helped.

As I said, stongly recommended though
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had the LXI last week while in OK. Excellent smoke, it is definetly the most full bodied Cusano but I didn't think it was a power house. Excellent flavor. Mine burned perfectly and went well with the glass of water and the Cormac McCarthy book, "The Road".
    madurofan:
    I had the LXI last week while in OK. Excellent smoke, it is definetly the most full bodied Cusano but I didn't think it was a power house. Excellent flavor. Mine burned perfectly and went well with the glass of water and the Cormac McCarthy book, "The Road".
    Hey Maddy I did enjoy both the LXI and " the road" as I remember there was a lack capitalization or punctuation in the book, and the writing style was rough at best. It took a few pages to get the feel of the writing style, which was perfectly suited for this Pulitzer Prize winning novel, It was impossible to put down. One of the best books I read last year. Did you read " No Country for Old Men." another of his fine works. Hey Urbi, Cormac is a Tennessee boy, which may account for his twisted nature.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I wouldn't doubt it, kas. I think his best book is Blood Meridian. I browsed The Road at the bookstore, and thought it read like a less-good version of BM. I haven't looked at NCFOM, so I can't speak to that one.
    urbino:
    I wouldn't doubt it, kas. I think his best book is Blood Meridian. I browsed The Road at the bookstore, and thought it read like a less-good version of BM. I haven't looked at NCFOM, so I can't speak to that one.
    On your suggestion I will give Blood Meridian a try ( hope my library has it on the shelf) or else Amazon will be coming by my house soon.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm sure the library will have it. Hope you enjoy it. (Although, I'm not sure "enjoy" is the right word for that book.)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Hey Maddy I did enjoy both the LXI and " the road" as I remember there was a lack capitalization or punctuation in the book, and the writing style was rough at best. It took a few pages to get the feel of the writing style, which was perfectly suited for this Pulitzer Prize winning novel, It was impossible to put down. One of the best books I read last year. Did you read " No Country for Old Men." another of his fine works. Hey Urbi, Cormac is a Tennessee boy, which may account for his twisted nature.
    I did read "No Country for Old Men". I'll have to pick up "Blood Meridian" as soon as I finish Grisham's "The Appeal".
    I loved the two McCarthy books I've read and want to read more. Well I don't know that loved is appropriate as dark as his books are.
    I could't have explained his style better Kas. You have no idea what is going on and can barely understand who is talking to who for the first couple pages then miraclulously everythign starts clicking and making perfect sense. I love that he barely tells you anything in "The Road". Everything outside of the father and son is completely left for you to figure out.

Kas did you see it as his version of the end of the world and survival?
    Well, the description of the land scape gives the feeling that some cataclysm has occured ( nuclear war ?) leaving the earth a wasteland, and almost all people and animals are dead, or soon to become deceased..The fathers only reason for living is to keep his son alive, or keep him from any of the horrors they must avoid constantly. His gun with two bullets. Their life is a constant search for food, shelter, and avoiding the other few survivors. When they finally reach their goal, they are no better off. Maybe they should have used those bullets like mom did. Not a feel good read, but one that I will not forget.

Oh yeah we are off track, I sure enjoyed that Cusano LXI.. A flavorful powerhouse !
    Kas any draw poblems with the lxi?
    gmill880:
    Kas any draw poblems with the lxi?
    No, the draw was actually rather loose which worked against me since the cigar was so full bodied. I think I would have preferred a tighter draw on that one.