Home Cigar 101

Burning issue

I was smoking a gran habano vintage and half way through only one side of the wrapper stayed lit. Then the filler was burning faster then the rest of the cigar. Everything was good for the first half then it went bad. What would cause this?

Comments

• kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Usually overhumidification.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    over humidification is one culprit, and probably the most likely one.

but over humidification isnt the only answer.

the inward burn or tunneling could be because you are smoking too slow or because when you draw there is not enough pressure at the foot of the cigar (because of improper roll).

an improper roll can also explain why you were getting a burn that is only on one side.

it may be a few of these issues working together.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Lots of people, myself included, are having trouble with the 2002 vintage burning well. That wrapper is very oily and needs plenty of rest in the humidor and then dryboxing to even stand a chance at burning well. After two unsuccessful cigar smoking attempts I'm temporarily giving up and letting the others rest until summer before I try again. Even then I'll still drybox them before smoking. With this particular cigar I'm pretty confident it's not you, it's the wrapper.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with the Robusto's, had nothing but problems with the Churchills. Dry-boxing was definitely the answer, I even took off the cedar, and clipped the end prior to dry-boxing. The ones I did this to were pretty good, although, I think I'll stick to the Robustos in the future. JMO.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    WHEW! Glad I read the posts in this thread!

After just reading the title, I was afraid we had the first CCOM HERPES THREAD!!! :-D

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    WHEW! Glad I read the posts in this thread!

After just reading the title, I was afraid we had the first CCOM HERPES THREAD!!! :-D

Haha that's filed neatly under the "Non Cigar Related" header.
  • MessickMessick Posts: 86
    What is dry boxing? Pretty funny, maybe I need to word myself more carefully.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Messick:
    What is dry boxing? Pretty funny, maybe I need to word myself more carefully.
    Dryboxing is using an old cigar box or desktop Humidor without humidification. You place these oliy or otherwise over humidified sticks into for a time before smoking. I usually leave mine for about a day or two, and only for sticks that have very oliy wrappers. I also enjoy most of my sticks at between 63 and 65% though. As with most things with this hobby... it is the up to your personal prefference.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I have a cedar lined 3 finger cigar holder that I find perfect for dry-boxing.