Home Cigar 101

Coolidor?

DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
I've heard the term. figured out that the it includes an Igloo cooler (you cant go wrong with that). What else though? What are the best compnents to use for a coolidor that will make it low maintenance? I need something that will be easy to maintain due to my work schedual over here. I will try and go out next week and get the other stuff from a local B&M (igloo cooler the PX sells over here (go figure the PX sells coolers and no beer)). if anyone has any good ideas for the perfect setup let me know!

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect set-up - purchase Cooler (wash with mild detergent thoughouly), air dry, add beads, add cigars. Done. That's all I did. Always can use spanish cedar in there. (i.e. cigar boxes)
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    There’s a post with pics around here somewhere to give you a visual. But otherwise a decent size cooler, thoroughly cleaned and aired out. Humidification (beads works great),hygrometer. Now some ppl use Tupperware with holes cut into everywhere, I myself opted for some cedar trays. You can get the trays from anywhere for about 10-12 plus shipping. Waxingmoon (another BOTL on the site here) sells them and will custom make them for you if needed I think. And of course, plenty of tasty cigars. It’s really that easy. See if you can touch base with Jcsizzle from the site here, he’s on Doha and I think he has a coolidor set up.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    mfotis:
    There’s a post with pics around here somewhere to give you a visual. But otherwise a decent size cooler, thoroughly cleaned and aired out. Humidification (beads works great),hygrometer. Now some ppl use Tupperware with holes cut into everywhere, I myself opted for some cedar trays. You can get the trays from anywhere for about 10-12 plus shipping. Waxingmoon (another BOTL on the site here) sells them and will custom make them for you if needed I think. And of course, plenty of tasty cigars. It’s really that easy. See if you can touch base with Jcsizzle from the site here, he’s on Doha and I think he has a coolidor set up.

I will call im tomorrow. We tried to get together for the first overseas ccom herf (that I know of anyways) the other day and missed eachother by an hour or so. I look forward to meeting him though.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Smoking cooler

Aging cooler

When I finish my basement I'd like to put in a walkin but until then these will do just fine...
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    A couple tips I have picked up...

1) When you purchase the cooler, look for one that is rated for 5 or seven days... they seal better and have more insulation. Not sure if you will be able to be that choosy in the AOR, but thought Id mention it if you happen to have access to them.

2) If you take some weather stripping and line the lip of the coolidor where the lid meets the body of the cooler, it will hold humidity like you would not believe! This is what I did with mine, and my coolidor holds humidity better than any of my humidors. And Im sure someone around here could send you a care package with some weather stripping included.

Best of luck!

The Sniper:
    A couple tips I have picked up...

1) When you purchase the cooler, look for one that is rated for 5 or seven days... they seal better and have more insulation. Not sure if you will be able to be that choosy in the AOR, but thought Id mention it if you happen to have access to them.

2) If you take some weather stripping and line the lip of the coolidor where the lid meets the body of the cooler, it will hold humidity like you would not believe! This is what I did with mine, and my coolidor holds humidity better than any of my humidors. And Im sure someone around here could send you a care package with some weather stripping included.

Best of luck!

<(<(No need for a care package, we have weather stripping here. I am teying (yet again) to get off post on monday or tuesday to get to a local b&m and see if they have the beads.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Hey, brother, sorry I didn't see this post before you text me last night.

Unfortunately, the B&Ms here are limited and don't sell beads, I ordered mine from Heartfelt, which I know is military shipping-friendly. You can also get them from ConservaGel, I've had friends here order from them with no problems.

Light 'em up.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I know Heartfelt ships, and sometimes even discounts for military.
    I will check them both out thabks again guys.
    So a half lb. of beads should be plenty? and the weather stripping I have. I have a few cigar boxes as well, so I should be set. All I need other than that is a hygrometer, which I will order today.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    1/2 lb should be more than enough.
    Light 'em up.
    So how do I get rid of the soap smell? I washed it with a mild detergent, now it smells like soap. Any suggestions?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    if you have some newspapers .... crumple them up and toss them in there for a few days with the lid closed ...... newspaper are great for removing odors .... just fill it up halfway and like 2-3 days should do the trick.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    kingjk729:
    if you have some newspapers .... crumple them up and toss them in there for a few days with the lid closed ...... newspaper are great for removing odors .... just fill it up halfway and like 2-3 days should do the trick.
    This works very well. It's what I did to get rid of the smell when I first got mine. I only left the news paper in there for about 24 hours and it was odorless and ready to go.
    kingjk729:

Y ou guys are brilliant! Freaking brilliant!
    I was going to retract that statement... I opened the cooler and still smelled the soap. I thought, 'those idiots dont have a clue!' So I took the cooler to the trash can and emptied it out thinking, 'dang, now I gotta figure out how to fix this.' As I was walking up the stairs I stuck my head in and nothing. Not a trace of the foul cherry/ almond scent that was there the day before. I LOVE YOU GUYS! Next question for the coolidor; how often do I need to open it? I will be using this as my main humidor so I will probably open it at least once a day, possibly more. How dificult wil it be to control the humidity?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    If you're going to be opening it at least once a day then that's more than enough. It won't be difficult to control the humidity. If anything it will be easier than with a normal humidor. The tight seal ensures that. Just charge your humidity device and go. Beads, I'm assuming? Maybe add a few more if you're going to be opening it up many times a day just to help it recharge faster.
    1/2 lbs. Heartfelt beads should be arriving in a couple days. Along with a hygrometer for the lid and some weather stripping from Germany. I am toatally phsyced about getting it started.