Home Cigar 101

Best way to break-in beads?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
Just got a pound of beads but no instructions. What's the best way to get these primed the first time? I did a test batch with a small glass bowl, and then slowly poured DW with the cap. They started crackling like rice crispies and after 3 capfulls, I mixed them all together by hand and they were all clear.

Is there a better way for the big batch that will be for the new cooler?

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    You can use a spray bottle, that works.
    Light 'em up.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    you could always just put a small bowl of DW in there with the beads and let the beads pull the moisture out of the bowl.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beads are instant humidification.

just add water.

but seriously just put em in a dish of some sort and add distilled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks. I saw some older posts where some soaked them for 30-90 minutes first. I saw the spray bottle and indirect (water bowl) methods for recharging but not first time.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    You can pour water directly on them - no problems. Over the course of years this may cause them to crack, but whether the beads are cracked or whole, they still work the same (no difference in performance according to Heartfelt)
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Just my opinion... if you pour water over them you are more then likely going to over charge them. I would go with the bowl of water and some patience. Let the beads soak up the moisture naturally. Again JUST MY OPINION.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Heartfelt sent instructions with the 2 pucks and bag of beads I recently ordered. Spray bottles seem to be the best method. Heartfelt sells a syringe to water the pucks. They mention not to handle or flush the beads too aggresively because of some salts, or something, on the beads that can be washed away. Pixie dust maybe. About the time the beads arrived I bought my second humidor and let it set with beads, gel jars, open small containers of water and all the water pillows I could muster. Also took the sponge out of the humidors' humidifier and added beads to that as well. Checked occasionally and added distilled water when needed. After a few weeks everything seemed stable, removed the open water containers and a few pillows to make room and started stocking up. Just let it absorb at its own pace, time was not a factor. My original humidor got a new puck when the beads arrived and I just added a little water with the syringe from Heartfelt until the beads were mostly clear. So far so good. Good luck
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    That syringe they sell from Heartfelt is the EXACT one my dentist gave me to clean the sockets when I had my widsom teeth pulled.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I have tried both ways...with the plastic bottle with the syringe type top and just sitting the beads beside a small dish of water.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    skweekz:
    That syringe they sell from Heartfelt is the EXACT one my dentist gave me to clean the sockets when I had my widsom teeth pulled.

Thats what I thought!
  • i use a small syringe to wet down my beads. just set the puck on the table and fill syringe with distilled water and slowly drip it on top.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    50 lashes or until they submit.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Conservagel beads. I put them is a rectangular tupperware and spray them. My instructions said to get about 70% of the bead to go clear. I guess that leaves room to absorb extra humidity.
    I did buy the conservagel since they were cheaper and ended up putting them in a rectangular tupperware that was a deli meat container originally. Then put another tupperware of water and will let it do it's thing.

How long does that usually take? it's a 50 quart cooler.

After obsessing about the wooden humi, I think some patience is in order. I also did my first ever salt test in another old meat container and the hygro got to 75% in about 2 hours. Saved me $4 for a boveda pack, love this forum.

Thanks again for the advice, I have a good feeling this time things will work out.
    Sounds like you are on your way. The only thing I would caution is to let that Hygrometer sit for a full 24 hours before you trust the reading. It may be saying 75% after two hours , but then again, it may be on it's way to 90%. The 24 hours will give you a correct reading and then you adjust to 75%.
    Thanks laker. I did let it sit in there all night so it was in there about a good 12 hours. I put my other one in there now. Is 12 hours long enough to be accurate?
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Glad to see you are trying the beads out, You are going to love them!
    james40:
    Thanks laker. I did let it sit in there all night so it was in there about a good 12 hours. I put my other one in there now. Is 12 hours long enough to be accurate?
    You would be safer with 24. Some even go longer then that but if your hygrometer is worth anything it should be able to stablize within 24 hours. Putting in two is a good idea too, I do all three of mine at the same time always.