Home Cigar 101

Non-wrapped cigars...how to store

This weekend I picked up four different unwrapped cigars. I have read that you are not to put unwrapped cigars together as they will blend over time. So what is the best way to store them in my humi?

Brian

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you mean with the cellophane off?

because when i read the title of the thread i thought to myself "unwrapped cigars?!?! where would all the flavor come from?" then i realized the error of my ways.

store them the same way you would a cigar with the cellophane on them...

with one notable difference: place them closer to the bottom of the humidor. the cellophane protects the cigars a bit. the top cigars get shuffeled around more than the ones on the bottom. keep the cello-free cigars near the bottom and they have less of a chance of having wrapper issues due to humidor damage.
  • Kuzi,

Yep the ones with out cellophane! So in the bottom they go, and should I leave a space between them say the space of another cigar?

Brian
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nah.
    unless you plan to age them for years and years (5 + ) and you never rotate your stock ever i wouldnt worry about transfer of oils too much. I also doubt that anyone but the most refined of palates (and maybe not even them, i wouldnt know im not one of them) will be able to notice any difference if they were stored next to each other.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I know this has been a topic of discussion multiple times on this board and I agree wit Kuzi in that you more than likely will not notice any flavor difference in a stick if stored w/out the cellophane. The transfer of oils is minimal at worst. I know most people like to keep the cello on for protection of the wrapper but I store all of mine without. Just a matter of preference. I like the look and the aroma that comes when you open the humi.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    idrivea9:
    This weekend I picked up four different unwrapped cigars. I have read that you are not to put unwrapped cigars together as they will blend over time. So what is the best way to store them in my humi?

Brian
    My answer differs slightly from kuzi and others here, There is nothing wrong with storing cello free cigars, I always put the cigars in a previously used cello wrapper. I save some of my old cello sleeves and recycle the on the cigars I get without cello. I just like the protection that cello offers since I don't want these cigars cracked or nicked from handling.
  • smoke 'em now and don't worry about storage!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Heh.
  • jaytothen:
    smoke 'em now and don't worry about storage!
    I agree, but I buy smokes to enjoy them right away. Screw waiting, Imma light it in the parking lot and smoke it on the way home.