Home Cigar 101

organizing a humidor?

Okay, I promise this will be the last of my silly, newbi questions.  It's just that I've gotten a lot of good info here so far, so I got to try one last time! :-)

So, I have my new 120 count humidor seasoned and filled with about 70 cigars or so.  This humidor has a shelf and dividers.  I was just wondering if there are any different schools of thought or opinions on how to organize it.  I do have a smaller humidor for my flavored cigars, so that's not an issue.  Do I just throw them all in there, facing the same direction and split between the two levels?  Split out the nubs to their own section?... keep like brands, sizes, wrappers, etc. together?

Looking for some advice.  Right now I'm just getting a lot of enjoyment opening it up (not too often ;-))to look at the cigars in there and taking a big smell.

Thanks!

Matt

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mattshell:

Okay, I promise this will be the last of my silly, newbi questions

I dont believe you
    ...its cool though, we all were and still are there. I myself have been a cigar newbie for a bit over 3 years.
    mattshell:

So, I have my new 120 count humidor seasoned and filled with about 70 cigars or so.  This humidor has a shelf and dividers.  I was just wondering if there are any different schools of thought or opinions on how to organize it.  I do have a smaller humidor for my flavored cigars, so that's not an issue.  Do I just throw them all in there, facing the same direction and split between the two levels?  Split out the nubs to their own section?... keep like brands, sizes, wrappers, etc. together?

Looking for some advice.  Right now I'm just getting a lot of enjoyment opening it up (not too often ;-))to look at the cigars in there and taking a big smell.

Thanks!

Matt

in general, i keep my newest cigars on the bottom and smoke off the top. this is in both my smoking and aging humidor. the smoking humidor rotates way faster than the aging humidor. besides that, i just put em in there however they fit best.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I pretty much just stick 'em in there. Other than keeping the heads at one end, and putting the smaller ones in the upper tray, I don't organize. But then, I don't organize anything. It's one of my more endearing traits.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I pretty much just stick 'em in there. Other than keeping the heads at one end, and putting the smaller ones in the upper tray, I don't organize. But then, I don't organize anything. It's one of my more endearing traits.
    lol, I try to put the ones I don't plan on smoking for a while on the bottom and work my way up.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I don't know if it really makes a differance (I didn't experiment) but I keep my maduros and darker wrappers separate from the lighter wrapper cigars, etc.  I have em grouped by type of cigar and brand.  If your gonna smoke em soon, I doubt it makes a differance, but if your aging 2-4 years common sense tells me it might. 
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Can we revisit this? Has anyones oppinions changed? Does anyone else have an oppinion on it? If using a coolidor do they need to be in their original boxes or can the be put in surrogate boxes? If you don't have the originals will a substitute suffice?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I organize by size. See my 'Almost There' thread in general discussion for a picture of how I fit 97 cigars plus beads into a 100 count humi with room to spare.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I try to organize in a manner that minimizes my interaction with all of them. For me that just means the ones on the top are the ones I'm getting to next, and so on. I also organize by size to fix the maximum possible, but my primary organization is by intent to smoke. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen that I get a paper published or something and find myself digging for something I didn't think I'd have occasion to smoke for a while...but you get the idea.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    No real organization; the ones I plan to smoke soon are on top, and the ones I plan to age/don't have the willpower to resist smoking before I should, go on the bottom - but that's really only a few. By and large, I just toss them in
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about like the rest of the guys, hide the ones I'm saving on the bottom, or put new ones there. Also, Mattshell, you should never worry about asking questions, I smoked my first cigar in 1971, and I'm still asking and learning. Some of the guys on here possess some serious knowledge, and not necessarily the ones who've been smoking the longest.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    Can we revisit this?
    way to necropost... thats cool too.
    DSWarmack:
    Has anyones oppinions changed?
    nope. still the same. the only thing thats change on my post is how long i have been into cigars. im now about 6-7 years in.
    DSWarmack:
    If using a coolidor do they need to be in their original boxes or can the be put in surrogate boxes? If you don't have the originals will a substitute suffice?
    my opinion is that trays work well. you can get cedar trays from waxingmoon.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I have four trays on the left side of my coolidor and one on the right sitting on 3-4 boxes of cigars that i just havent got around to putting in the trays. And of course i have beads in there somwhere.
    kuzi16:
    way to necropost... thats cool too.

lol i like it.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    In the pictures I've seen, there are some boxes with lids on and some with lids off. Doeas this make a difference? They are not air tight boxes so I would assume that the air will reach them but has anyone removed their lids for the purpose of air flow?

As for necro-posting... I try to do the research through the threads and this one had started it, I just had a few more additional questions.
    Lids on or off? I think its personal preference.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I separate mine alphabetically, by height. Just kidding!

I have an aging humi that I put most of my orders that come in to let them set a while. I take a few of a new order and put them in the bottom of my smoking humi. It seems that I have very little patience and I want to try new sticks as soon as they come in. Putting new ones at the bottom seems to help a little.

I also tend to separate by strength, but it is not a strict rule. I try not to get too **** about it. I guess it comes down to whatever works for you.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The only kind of organization I go with is by name...sort of. I keep all my Man O' War together in one spot and all my Gurkhas in another and 5 Vegas in another. The rest just get kinda put where I can find the room for them. Again, personal preference...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think why you see some boxes with tops and some boxes without tops is due to whether they ordered a box of something or not. If a whole box has been ordered you can close the top and know whats in there by the box itself. If it's an old box then the box itself won't tell you what's in there and you need to keep the lid off to know which ones are in there. Boxes are nice to use, even as surrogates, to keep the cigars protected, organized and add more wood to the cooler/tupperware.