Home Non Cigar Related

Break & Enter?

So while I was away on vacation, I got a voicemail telling me that the local gas company had to turn off everyones gas access because of a problem and that once resolved they would be sending reps around to relight everyones gas appliances and if nobody was home they would leave a phone number for you to call and have someone come out. I came home and found that someone had been in my house (mail package brought inside) I had not asked anyone to do this for me and I couldn't figure how it got inside...I went in to the kitchen and found a letter on my kitchen counter, the letter (form) was from my gas company and stated because of the cold they were worried about the possibility of damage to my home because of the gas being off (gas furnace) and that they used a bonded locksmith to access my home and relight my furnace which would have been off for a couple days with nobody home (they did not know this). Attached to their letter was a business card from a special police constable (not sure if they are actual cops, they do not carry guns and I think more represent the police other than anything else) the letter also stated the police were contacted and told this would be happening. This is not sitting well with me, on one hand I'm glad my house was warm when I got home and no problems but for a company to be able to bring a locksmith over and just go inside my home when I am not there WTF???? This was not done out of concern of a danger like a gas leak but out of concern of damage to my personal property which is insured to the hilt I might add...This just does not seem ok, not sure what I am going to do about it yet if anything...I don't even have any gas appliances btw...

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Smacks of Big Brother ...
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Thats pritty F'd up if you ask me not that I do anything illigal but I would have a stink about it the only problem is it will get you nowhere in the end. They had no leagel ability to be in your home and you can sue but what would you get new locks do to the unsafe feeling that you get when you come home to the house you live in security violated by this intrusion.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    they were just being safer then sorry bro....i wouldnt care if my gas company came in to check out stuff.....
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude f*ck that! A mans home is his castle!

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was me, I'd be thankful that they were considerate enough to do that. If you've ever had a house freeze up on you with all the utilities out and then had to deal with the damage when everything thawed, you might think differently about it.

When the broken pipes thaw and flood the house it's a real bummer.

Marty

• Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Diamondog:
    I don't even have any gas appliances btw...
    Are you just talking your oven or are you saying that you dont have a gas furnace and water heater? If that is the case I would be really pissed off because they have records of who has gas and not. My house is all electric and if the gas company came into my house uninvited I would raise all kinds of hell.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    DD I know what you are saying, and in most cases I would agree with you, but this instance with the cold and the possibility of damage to your home that they would be liable for (they turned off the gas that caused your pilot light to go out) If your pilot light malfunctioned and gas leaked into your house and blew your stuff up you could sue (I'm not familiar with canadian laws or judicial system but would imagine this is the case) I would call them and say thanks. It's this courtesy (and thats how I would choose to look at it) that is lacking in society these days.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Not sure how Canadian property laws work, but if your deed granted utility companies an easement onto your property, they may have the right to do what they did. That being said, I would feel a bit uneasy that someone came in my house without my permission and knowledge until after the fact. On the bright side, it looks like they provided you plenty of documentation of exactly what they did and how they did it. I suppose it was the best they could do under the circumstances.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I would be calling the gas company, the locksmith, the police and constables all first thing in the morning to make sure this was all legit. Also, ask your neighbors if they had anything like that happen recently.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    They'll probably bill you for the locksmith's services, too.

Just be glad they didn't see the pot plants in your bedroom.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:

Even if they had it would be illegal search as there was no warrent and no permission was given to enter the dwelling so it would have been thrown out of court right away.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    zoom6zoom:

Even if they had it would be illegal search as there was no warrent and no permission was given to enter the dwelling so it would have been thrown out of court right away.
    lol
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    zoom6zoom:

Keeping in mind that DD lives in Canada, the laws are different, Bill of Rights and Consitution etc. do not govern other Countries. Easy to forget when we are talking about our neighbors to the North.

The other thing is that this is not necessarily true under these circumstances in the US it might actually hold up in court. The gas company would not be a government agency and if they did indeed have a legal right to be in the house to relight pilot lights or whatever they are not acting under government power. Kind of like if you rent an apartment and maint. has to come over for some reason. They gain entrance into your residence legally. Once inside if they were to discover something and call the police, then the police would have a legal right to be there. Once they were there they could maintain security of residence and obtain a warrant for the house.

The important thing to remember that warrants and search and seizers laws only apply to government angencies or officials.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    DD I know what you are saying, and in most cases I would agree with you, but this instance with the cold and the possibility of damage to your home that they would be liable for (they turned off the gas that caused your pilot light to go out) If your pilot light malfunctioned and gas leaked into your house and blew your stuff up you could sue (I'm not familiar with canadian laws or judicial system but would imagine this is the case) I would call them and say thanks. It's this courtesy (and thats how I would choose to look at it) that is lacking in society these days.
    +1, and it looks like they tried to do all the right things, i.e. contacting the constable and the police. I dont know how it works in Canada but when you sign up for their services there may be some fine print about them be able to take this type of action in these types of situations, the business has a right to protect their interest as well i.e. law suits.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand you feel violated and I think I would be upset as well but you could have had a disaster on your hands if they had not intervened. I have mixed feelings on this and so many what ifs.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    jsnake:
    I understand you feel violated and I think I would be upset as well but you could have had a disaster on your hands if they had not intervened. I have mixed feelings on this and so many what ifs.
    +1 and I would def. like to hear the Paul Harvey on this one. I would have def. been on the phone or down there in person getting some answers.