Home Ratings & Reviews

Padilla Miami Toro Revisit after 3 months

Lets take a look at the Padilla Miami Toro.

First impressions: A silky smooth wrapper with no noticable imprefections. Smooth and a dark velvety brown with minimal veins and barely noticable seams. A nice triple cap with a rounded head. Solid feel with a balanced weight and feel across the whole stick.

Lighting: Using a straight cut above the second seam of the cap with a three sided Cuban Crafters scissors. I used a dual torch Xicar Axia to light. Prelight of mature tobacco with no sourness in the taste. We are in for something special.

First puffs: Strong pepper flavor, a loose draw with a high volume of smoke.

First third: Starting with a strong pepper, I am beginning to taste french roasted coffee with a retrohale of licorice and toasted marshmallows. Plenty of smoke with a staight burn. A dark grey ash with black streaks along the veins. Powerful tobacco flavor looking forward to settle in to some of the complexity of the stick.

Second third: Still showing signs of pepper starting to settle down a bit. Retrohale of a dark merlot and oak. Licorice and toasted marshmallow disappears replaced with a long merlot blackberry flavor, draw tighting up nicely. Noted some blackberry sweetness along with a finish of raspberry and hazelnut.

Final third: Merlot and fruit flavors are replaced with Creamy nutty coffee. The burn requires a touch up but nothing serious. Nutty flavor intensifies through the retrohale. A bit of leather on the follow through from the mouth through the nose. The fruity merlot flavor is gone. Complexity of all the flavors meld into one another in a chorus of flavor. No further corrections required through the last inch.

Final Inch: I noted some short raisin, gingerbread, and the merlot on the follow through of the retrohale. Also noting some marshmallow returning along with the licorice flavor strongly on the back notes of the finish.

Overall Final Impressions: Amazing, this is a medium-full flavored cigar with a mature complexity. I have not come across flavors of this complexity in a while. This is an amazing stick and with the CC Bedlam deal at $99. Another box of twenty five requires a purchase. I was impressed and intreged with this cigar. I wouldnt hesitate on another box soon at this price.

Cigar 002

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, had this in the figurado version and loved it.
    Light 'em up.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    JCizzle
    Did you experience some of the same notes or did you pick up on something different? I would like to compare notes even though it is a different vitola.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    This is why I write things down, because I forget. When I get home, I'lll look in my dossier and remember what I noted. Perhaps I'll even do a vitola comparison of my own and look for similarities and differences.
    Light 'em up.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I love this cigar. I have a pile of them that are aging and going to be smoked next summer when it's nice and warm outside. I don't keep a dossier of cigars but my palate does keep changing and evolving so I'm curious what I get out of these next summer; I'm sure they will be excellent smokes.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Nice review! I have had the Robo, Toro, Churchill and Torpedo. I love all of them, but I think the Robusto is my favorite. Not sure why, but it seems to be a bit more full bodied than the other vitolas.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Just about my Favorite smoke...
    I had two or three of these then bought the Belham box deal.
    I love these...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I love this cigar as well.

• ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Sometimes you guys make me chuckle. Not that I doubt your palates are that refined, but
    I have a hard enough time telling the difference between a blackberry vs raspberry, or merlot vs cab, or hazelnut vs almond, or french roast vs espresso coffee in real, actual food... to say nothing of correctly identifying those notes in a cigar.

Hey, more power to ya! :)
    ndhaon91:
    Sometimes you guys make me chuckle. Not that I doubt your palates are that refined, but I have a hard enough time telling the difference between a blackberry vs raspberry, or merlot vs cab, or hazelnut vs almond, or french roast vs espresso coffee in real, actual food... to say nothing of correctly identifying those notes in a cigar. Hey, more power to ya! :)
    I was smoking them wrong for years until about till about 5 years ago. I noticed that I was only getting some of the flavors because I didnt retrohale (passing the smoke up through the ofactory nerves through the nose) -. It opened up for me a new world of taste. Distictive taste are in the nose not the mouth. Your tongue only knows salt, sweet, bitter, sour and some say umami. The first time I retrohaled I about tossed a lung. It took alot of practice until I final got it. I now pass 85-90% of the smoke through the nose without inhailing into the lungs.
    umami? What's that?
    bigharpoon:
    umami? What's that?
    Sounds like a south miami nudie mag, U-Mami. It is actually the fifth flavor of taste. It is when all the taste are reached at the same time. A savory flavor is the best way to describe it. Most asian cultures exhibit this in their cooking.
  • Thanks for the review. The Toro is my favorite size in the Miami.
    I got some captain and the ship is about to set sail. One toro to go with a small fire. :)
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Hey check it out, The Beard quoted this review in his e-mail deal!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    What email deal? I don't get Tim's emails apparently.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    and replied, thank you!
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Love this stick! I got a box on the bedlam, but it'll be hard to resist another with Tim's email deal!
    Ken Light:
    PM sent
    Uhhhh me too.

stephen_hannibal:
    Ken Light:
    PM sent
    Uhhhh me too.

Sent
    Duder2:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Ken Light:
    PM sent
    Uhhhh me too.

Sent
    Thank you sir... Great deal.

Yup :^)
    Duder2:
    Yup :^)
    PM

PM me please, din't get the Tim e-mail...
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Yea what's tims deal!?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    love these sticks, still have a few from a weekend blitz few years ago

"Long ashes my friends."

• SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    How do I get one tims list?
    Ken Light:
    Hey check it out, The Beard quoted this review in his e-mail deal!
    I didnt get the email either and I wrote the review. Maybe he will include me in the list so I can write some more!!!!! ;)
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    me to
    pm's sent

With all this talk of Miamis I had to go out and brave the cold to smoke one. DAH-GUM!!! There is a reason why this has been a favorite of mine for a long time and continues to be, what an amazing cigar!