Home Cigar 101

Question About Shipping

MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
I have a question about shipping cigars mostly to overseas locations. A long time ago I use to ship to all international locations. Then one day I took a package to the PO and since it was going to a military location I was told to fill out some papers and make sure I put down what I was shipping.

Being a legit business and never lying about what I was shipping I put Ka-Bar Fixed blade knife 5ea. The person behind the counter told me I couldn't ship knives to an APO/FPO address. So I took my package went to another PO and put down Multi Tools and they shipped them.

Since then I have not shipped to any APO/FPO location as well as all international locations. It has now been about 4 years since that happened and I was wondering if things have changed. I would like to ship some cigars to my fellow Patriots overseas and would like to know do I just use a regular priority flat rate box or do I need to use the priority flat rate APO/FPO box and if so do I need to declare what is in the box. If I can avoid going to the PO and filling out paperwork would make it easier for me. I schedule all my packages for pick up through the USPS site

If no paperwork or declaration form is needed I could start shipping knives to our military again as well as cigars. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    MTuccelli, Hey MTuccelli, I'm currently in Afganistan and things are still the same. We aren't allowed to ship knives, or any thing that can explode. So no butane lighters either. We ran out of butane here and can't get any shipped out to us. And of course no ordnance or rounds. You can ship the tobacco though. I do remember reading some where that there is a limit on how much you can send. Noone ever checks the exact amount of tobacco though. I seen guys get cartoon after cartoon of cigarettes and log after log of dip. The mail system has been working both ways and you will need to fill out a declaration form for the contents of the box. There are ways to get around some items but metal will always get picked-up when going thru the xray machines so a box of knives would be confiscated. Here they rummage thru our box before we seal it up. I'm not sure if the PO inspects packages before civilians seal up the box. I'd say your clear to ship the cigars but I'd hold off on the knives.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    MTuccelli, Hey MTuccelli, I'm currently in Afganistan and things are still the same. We aren't allowed to ship knives, or any thing that can explode. So no butane lighters either. We ran out of butane here and can't get any shipped out to us. And of course no ordnance or rounds. You can ship the tobacco though. I do remember reading some where that there is a limit on how much you can send. Noone ever checks the exact amount of tobacco though. I seen guys get cartoon after cartoon of cigarettes and log after log of dip. The mail system has been working both ways and you will need to fill out a declaration form for the contents of the box. There are ways to get around some items but metal will always get picked-up when going thru the xray machines so a box of knives would be confiscated. Here they rummage thru our box before we seal it up. I'm not sure if the PO inspects packages before civilians seal up the box. I'd say your clear to ship the cigars but I'd hold off on the knives.

First I want to thank you for your servcie, I appreciate it very much what you are doing and the sacrifices you and your family are making.

Thanks for the info, I did go and dig around the USPS site and they have restrictions but they also have the flat rate box for APO/FPO and it says you can ship up to 70 pounds for $12.20 print the label from the usps site and schedule pick up. They don't mention declaration forms or anything like that. There is however several zip codes they dont ship to. I have an email into them asking specifics. So I guess matches are a no no? How do they expect you to lite your smoke....off a tracer round?
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    MTuccelli:
    jr_p951:

First I want to thank you for your servcie, I appreciate it very much what you are doing and the sacrifices you and your family are making.

Thanks for the info, I did go and dig around the USPS site and they have restrictions but they also have the flat rate box for APO/FPO and it says you can ship up to 70 pounds for $12.20 print the label from the usps site and schedule pick up. They don't mention declaration forms or anything like that. There is however several zip codes they dont ship to. I have an email into them asking specifics. So I guess matches are a no no? How do they expect you to lite your smoke....off a tracer round?

That is not the prefered method, as they go out much too quickly, not to mention the aim of the guys I'm with... Matches shouldnt be a problem as long as they are not strike anywhere matches. I recieved a knife for christmas this year, delivered to an APO, that was 7 inches long. I think it just depends on whos shipping it. I have had people tell me the cant ship tobacco, but Ccom does it every week!
    Its my pleasure to serve! I think to most service members, we are just another middle class American trying to earn a piece of the American pie. 70lbs for $12.20 is a great price. I shipped home a package a couple months ago for as cheap as I can get it and it still cost me $26. But for shipping a big box hear that I won't have to lug around any more, I thought it was a good deal! I always seem to over pack on the way out. Then in country, I ask myself why did I bring all this crap and send it back home. Matches should be a problem. I have received several boxes from multiple orders. If I run out of matches, I can always turn to a cigarette smoker and borrow his lighter. The younger troops are always in the smoke pit with cigarettes.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    The only "rule" I've seen for the APO service here is no "excessive amounts of tobacco" (whatever that means). That being said, I receive cigars all the time, as well as send them, and I always write "cigars" on the customs without any problems.

As far as I know, either with the flat-rate boxes or regular boxes, you still have to fill out a customs form. We can send knives from here but after a certain size they have to be sent registered mail. Of course, there is always the downtown post office, but I trust them like I trust a priest at a playground.
    Light 'em up.
    Well guys I got my reply from the email i sent from the USPS and from what I read shipping to our troops overseas is a domestic shipment and requires nothing more then a priority box and paid shipping and can be scheduled for pick up at my house. Nothing about filling out any forms. Below is the reply I received

Dear Michael Tuccelli,

I understand inquiring about shipping Priority Mail to a military address.

I'd be happy to help you. We have a special price on our Large Flat Rate box going to military addresses. The price is $12.95 rather than $14.95. We have specially marked Large Flat Rate boxes, but you don't necessary have to used those. APO/FPO addresses are considered domestic, so you can print the postage and schedule a Carrier Pickup by going to our website at:

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service.
    Regards,
    David J.

So as far as I am concerned I am in the clear with the shipping. I want to send more then just cigars, I know from experience our troops need or would like other items. So I could use some ideas on what to send besides the sticks. Please send me a PM with what you guys need or would like and I will just start going down the list. My goal is to get the first package out this month. I hope to be able to do more each month

One more thing seeing how I am Italian (100% 2nd generation) we don't call it bombs or grenades like you all do. We do it Mob style....drive by

• mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    MTuccelli:
    Dear Michael Tuccelli,

I understand inquiring about shipping Priority Mail to a military address.

I'd be happy to help you. We have a special price on our Large Flat Rate box going to military addresses. The price is $12.95 rather than $14.95. We have specially marked Large Flat Rate boxes, but you don't necessary have to used those. APO/FPO addresses are considered domestic, so you can print the postage and schedule a Carrier Pickup by going to our website at:

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service.
    Regards,
    David J.

This sounds great but it's not correct, I live and work at an APO for years now and you always have to fill out paper work. Sure the physical address of the APO is domestic but the military will require the customs paperwork as they know it's going overseas and I'm quite certain every post office you walk into, once they put the zip in the system will require you to fill out the appropriate info.
    INCOMING!!!!...PM sent.
    To make sure I went ahead and emailed them again about the declaration forms to see if it can be done from the website and still schedule a pick up. of course I always like to have a back up plan so I emailed Ccom to see if when I place an order if I can put the service members address in the shipping info and if they would ship it like that for me. I also saw email gift certificates while I was shopping last night for myself. How would you guys overseas like getting those so you could get what you like.

Any ideas are appreciated, I called my mom to let her know about the military here on the forum and the first thing out of her mouth was "Do those boys need anything special"?. So I am pretty sure she is in the care package mode again. Her motto is "Anything for our troops".

jr_p951:
    INCOMING!!!!...PM sent.

Cool, how do I get to it? I don't see a link or button to click to see PM's
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    MTuccelli:
    jr_p951:
    INCOMING!!!!...PM sent.

Top right of your browser screen, click Inbox
    skweekz:
    MTuccelli:
    jr_p951:
    INCOMING!!!!...PM sent.

Top right of your browser screen, click Inbox

Thanks skweekz
    And you are correct about the paperwork. I did get another answer from the PO and all customs forms automatically generate from the site at the time postage is paid and printed and then all I have to do is schedule a pick up and hand it to the carrier when they arrive.

I know to some this seems like a lot of something for nothing but easy is all I want and as long as I can spend the PO's gas more then mine it comes out good for everybody.

So now it is time to work on my first drive by!
    MTuccelli, I don't think anyone would have a complaint about receiving a gift cert. And being able to take a little time and pick out a good smoke always distracts you for a bit. A buddy and I just read all the reviews got excited over the 18 cigar 2010 Awards Sampler Pack. You mom sounds like a very caring lady. One of those ones that always makes sure you have enough to eat when you come to visit. Every body loves those moms!
    jr_p951:
    MTuccelli, I don't think anyone would have a complaint about receiving a gift cert. And being able to take a little time and pick out a good smoke always distracts you for a bit. A buddy and I just read all the reviews got excited over the 18 cigar 2010 Awards Sampler Pack. You mom sounds like a very caring lady. One of those ones that always makes sure you have enough to eat when you come to visit. Every body loves those moms!

You have pegged my mom....the first thing she asks when you walk into the house is "Are you hungry. what would you like" or "you are looking a little thin, sit down let me make you a sandwich". I am living proof of that. When I am around her for any length of time I switch to pants with an elastic waist.

I think the certificate would be a good idea to start with until I get my shipping supplies lined up.