Home Cigar 101

Alternative Storage

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
I'm thinking of picking up some Acids and keeping them in the plastic jar I got from CCom that came with a sampler I purchased, seperate from the cigars in my humidor. Anyone had experience with these? I'm assuming I need to manage it a bit different from a standard humidor.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Watch the humidity, it shoots way up due to the super tight seal. If you use beads, I'd recommend using an aluminum cigar tube with holes punched in it if possible and don't charge the beads all the way, maybe halfway.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Would it (cigar jar) work well for short term storage, like a weeks vacation? A buddy is going away March Break, wants some durable storage to pack 10-15. Would the opening and closing daily be enough to dispense moisture? Does it need a humi-pak, or just the plain cigars? Have no beads. Herf-a dor lent to someone else. thanks
    bearb, tell him to throw a water pillow in there, half charged, and he'll be set. A week isn't going to be long enough for anything drastic to happen even if the RH% is a bit high.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    awesome...what I have is a candy jar that looks exactly like the 'cigar jar' under assessories-humidors-cigar jar (Cigar Jar: Perfect Desktop Humidor! Includes Humidification System. Will hold up to 30 cigars. Makes the perfect gift!) ...except mine came filled with Belgium chcocolate covered peanuts...given they are real tight, is this meant as long term humi? or just temporary? I am going to fill it for him, as it will protect them...tell him to "open it daily, remove a cigar, enjoy it, relax...repeat as necessary"
    I think they are meant as long term storage, and they work great if managed right. The trick is to be careful of the RH% and adjust your humidification method accordingly, which can be a bit tricky to get dialed in.