Home Cigar 101

Humidifier Care

I purchased the Man O War humidor recently and have a question about the humidifier that came with it. It is a basic foam one and I'm wondering if I need to fill it with water periodically and if so how often. If not, how long will it last before I should buy a new one. And If I should buy a new one, what should I get? Another foam one like the one that came with it? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Yes, you have to add distilled water to the humidifier... keep an eye on your RH and when it gets low, that's when you need to refill... after a few months you'll figure out the timing...

personally, as soon as you have a few extra bucks, I would ditch the foam and the analog hygrometer and get some beads and a digital hygro... but for the time being your set up is fine... just keep an eye on your RH and make sure you only use distilled water...

Congrats on the purchase!
  • jsbutcjsbutc Posts: 31
    Thanks, I really love the humidor, keeps RH great. I've been lookin at beads...prolly somethin I will get in the near future. I am reluctant however to give up an analog hydrometer just because I like the way it looks...I may get a digital one for accuracy to hide under the top tray and leave the analog on attatched to the lid for aesthetics. Thanks for the tip
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Bargainhumidors.com has beads and they ship to APO addresses.
    Light 'em up.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Beads. Beads. Beads. Beads. Beads. Seriously though, you will not find a less complicated, easier to use, and more effective means of humidifying your humidor. Heartfelt Industries sells them in various formats (in tubes, pucks, bags, boxes, sheets, etc.) and in three different RH% levels (60,65, and 70). There are a few other retailers who have various forms of silica beads. Basically, the advantage to using beads is that they will add humidity to the air when the relative humidity in the space drops below the set %, and then if it goes above the set %, the beads will actually absorb humidity OUT of the air, in order to keep it at the proper percentage. This takes all of the guess work, and worrying out of humidifying your storage. the 100ct. MOW humidor could probably use 1/2 lb of beads. If you are going to use a tray in there, then I would divide the beads up, with half on the top level, and half on the bottom.

I have been using beads in my two humidors (one 25ct. and one 100ct.) for months now, and have had ZERO issues (other than having to finally re-charge them once the temperature dropped this winter). I also just set up a coolerdor last week (100qt.) and within a few hours the relative humidity inside was rock solid at 65%, with two lbs of beads.

Anyway, basically, throw the green foam away. It will do nothing but disappoint you in the long run, and in my experience they are basically ugly little mold factories that will either under perform, or over perform.

As for the hygrometer, you really do need to invest in a digital hygro. There just is not really a way to make the cheapie (despite how attractive they are to look at) analog hygrometer that comes with every humidor ever work as it should. If I were you, I would not affix a digital hygrometer to the bottom of the tray, as you may one day upgrade to a larger humidor, or need to take the tray out to make space, and then you'll be SOL as far as attachment options. No reason you can't leave the analog guy on there still though, as I agree, they are VERY classy looking pieces. They just suck nads when it comes to doing what they are designed to do.
    I was actually reading through the forums and had run across Heartfelt Industries...I think I will invest in the aluminum cased beads they have on there as well as a digital hydrometer. But I had another question. What does the different RH levels have to do with the taste or the burn of the cigar? What is everyone's preferences?
  • jsbutc:
    Thanks, I really love the humidor, keeps RH great. I've been lookin at beads...prolly somethin I will get in the near future. I am reluctant however to give up an analog hydrometer just because I like the way it looks...I may get a digital one for accuracy to hide under the top tray and leave the analog on attatched to the lid for aesthetics. Thanks for the tip
    thats what i do have the digital one hide away but the analog one for looks
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Heartfelt is the way to go. They even offer free shipping to military personal. I had the 70% beads in my 150ct and they kept it a steady 68% which I consider perfect. From my experience anywhere from 65-70% is fine. Although if you are currently living in the desert then the 70 maybe the way to go.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    jsbutc:
    I was actually reading through the forums and had run across Heartfelt Industries...I think I will invest in the aluminum cased beads they have on there as well as a digital hydrometer. But I had another question. What does the different RH levels have to do with the taste or the burn of the cigar? What is everyone's preferences?
    The humidity in the humidor indicates how much moisture the tobacco leaves contain. A low RH will result in drier leaves which will burn faster and hotter and possibly create a bitter taste, the same as the one if you smoke too fast. A high RH will over-moisten the leaves which will result in difficulty keeping the leaves burning well. The cigar may keep going out, build up tar or outright expand and explode as the moisture heats up and causes the leaves to expand.

If kept at low RH for a long time the cigars may lose some or all of its oils and more or less be ruined. If kept at high RH for a long time they may grow mold and also be ruined.

Most people keep their cigars between 62% and 68%, depending on personal preference. In this range you are pretty safe from most difficulties although those with developed palates may recognize different flavors at different RH levels even in this range, but that is one developed palate.
    Ok, I understand. Thanks for the explanation, it helped alot.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    hey all.  my humi was at 66 - 68 humidity and degrees (F) for about 4-5 months.  Just two days ago, the temperature stayed roughly the same but my humidity dipped to about 60%.  Whats going on?  There hasn't been drastic temperature changes in my storage area at all.  I'm using beads and put in two humi pillows (I have roughly 80 - 90 cigars in my humi).  I just filled my beads with more distilled water tonight so hopefully that helps... Any pointers will be great.

Jiunn
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Should be good to go after you added water. Did you add a lot of cigars recently?
    Light 'em up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Should be good to go after you added water. Did you add a lot of cigars recently?
    or remove a lot of them?
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I recently added 40 sticks, holding them for a buddy until he got his humidor. I had them all on the removeable shelf in my 300 count. My humidity was holding perfect at 70% until I put them in, then it kept shooting up to 77-78%. Is that normal for it to jump that high when you add that many sticks? If so, what can I do to combat that in the future?
    yea i did.  i have about a 100ct humi and recently i just added about... 30 or 35 sticks.  I don't want my babies to get hard.  hopefully when i check my humi tonight, it'll be better. 
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jliu:
    yea i did.  i have about a 100ct humi and recently i just added about... 30 or 35 sticks.  I don't want my babies to get hard.  hopefully when i check my humi tonight, it'll be better. 
    Like skweez, adding cigars can change the humidity, though in your case, the cigars may have been a little dried out and they jsut sucked up the humidity when you put them in. Just give it a few days and the RH will stabilize again
    skweekz:
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I recently added 40 sticks, holding them for a buddy until he got his humidor. I had them all on the removeable shelf in my 300 count. My humidity was holding perfect at 70% until I put them in, then it kept shooting up to 77-78%. Is that normal for it to jump that high when you add that many sticks? If so, what can I do to combat that in the future?
    The sticks may have been a bit over-humidified, which added humidity; you can let it settle out, or you can always leave the lid open for 10 minutes or so, that should take everything down

EDIT - Like bigharpoon said, anything between 62 and 72 is ideal, though some keep it as high as 72% or as low as 62%, most people like to keep it between 65 and 70%. Once you're in that range, you'll figure what you like - some like their RH lower, some like it higher - just personal preference.

I will keep a close eye within the next few days.  Thanks xmacro and everyone else for the guidance. 
    So it's been about one week.  My digital meter still says 67 degrees F and 60% humidity.  is that ok?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    So it's been about one week.  My digital meter still says 67 degrees F and 60% humidity.  is that ok?
    That's a great temp, a little low on the RH side. I'd put in some distilled water in there and try to get it up to at least 62 or 63.
  • Exactly what I did. Did not trust the analog, but it looks nice.
    will do.  thanks!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It also depends on where you live and the humidity of your surroundings while smoking. I'm below sea level and 30°Latitude (New Orleans), and our outdoor humidity levels are often way too high for cigars. I've had a cigar literally get wet while smoking it. I keep my humidor at, or just above 65%. Something to ponder.