Home Cigar 101

Question about a recent cigar

A few weeks ago, I purchased the Oliva G, Nub Cameroon, Nub Habano, Nub Connecticut, Oliva O and Oliva V.  I had a great experience with the G and the Habano.  I loved the first inch or so of the V, and had no strong feelings either way for any of the nubs.  My question is, could I be cutting off too little of the cigar and over heating it for the taste to change so drastically within inches of the first light?

How do you know when you're smoking the cigar too fast?  I got so excited with the flavor of the V that I guess I smoked it too fast because it became tart, and stale tasting -- which is nothing like I experienced at first.

help!!!

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I try not to overthink these things, but from what I understand: If the cigar has a cone shape after ashing, you are smoking too fast. If it has a hollowed out shape, then you're smoking too slow.
    Light 'em up.
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    J, I didn't know that about the ash. . .I've always gone by taste. If it tastes burnt or bitter (in a bad way), I'm probably smoking too fast. Now I'm going to be extra goofy about looking at the ash. I keep looking at it, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's just what I've read, I don't really pay all that much attention to it. I light the cigar, smoke it until it's gone or I'm done with it, and that's it. lol
    Light 'em up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    A general rule of thumb is to take a puff a minute...a general rule that I don't tend to agree with for all cigars, but it's not a bad one to follow starting out. A cigar will let you know if you're smoking too fast or too slow...too fast and it will tend to heat up and you'll get a bitter, acrid taste coming though...too slow and it will go out, requiring a relight. So try and pay attention to what the cigar is telling you through taste, temperature (of the smoke) and the shape of the cherry after you ash, and pace yourself accordingly.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    A general rule of thumb is to take a puff a minute...a general rule that I don't tend to agree with for all cigars, but it's not a bad one to follow starting out. A cigar will let you know if you're smoking too fast or too slow...too fast and it will tend to heat up and you'll get a bitter, acrid taste coming though...too slow and it will go out, requiring a relight. So try and pay attention to what the cigar is telling you through taste, temperature (of the smoke) and the shape of the cherry after you ash, and pace yourself accordingly.
    +1
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    This is spot on advice, another possibility is that your cigar wasn't rested long enough, as in maybe the open end was there, but the benefit of resting hadn't fully made it through the cigar. Learning the timing is really your most important step though, well, that and using your nose.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Yeah, that's just what I've read, I don't really pay all that much attention to it. I light the cigar, smoke it until it's gone or I'm done with it, and that's it. lol
    My philosiphy as well.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    JCizzle:
    This is what cigar maker's suggest and I think is the best thing to go off of. The reason being is if you smoke too fast, the taste is more from the wrapper than from the filler, and the opposite is true for smoking too slow. When you ash, if the cherry is nice and flat then it suggests a good speed burn.

"The taste of a cigar is supposed to come from a come from a specific mix of the wrapper and filler burning together and is obtained by smoking at the proper pace"

I've been told something along those lines a few times by cigar reps. My personal philosophy follows this rule but if I'm enjoying a cigar, I don't give a hoot how fast or slow it's smoking :-)