Home Cigar 101

If you own a cooledor, I have a question

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
I went from a zip lock bag, to a 100 count humi, to 2 hundred count humis, and now looking for a cooledor!!!!

I've read the few threads in here and had a question for guys who own one.

Here is my issue. I'm in Houston and during the summer months it get hot as hell here! I remember my humi getting into the mid 80 last year, got me worried about beetles and stuff. My house during the summer months gets to high 70's while no one is at home. Cant be running the AC all day ya know.

So my question is..
Does the cooler hold better temps even if my house is high 70s? How do I keep it around 65 in there?

For RH, I'm going to use beads or Kitty Litter. Was thinking about an Oust fan for circulation also or should I just buy the Oasis XL??

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    This is kind of a tough one. The cooler will change temperature slower inside, and "hang on" to the cooler temperature while your house warms up. How much? It depends on how cool it gets in the cool period, the type of cooler, the ambient RH, where you store it, and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of. I don't know if you'd be able to keep it around 65 degrees without some kind of cooling device. I run my air, but it's expensive. Coolers have some kind of rating I believe. I think that rating has something to do with their temperature holding abilities. I'm not positive. I would research that rating, and get a "good" one.

Personally, I wouldn't go with an Oasis. I'd just use Boveda packs or beads. The simpler, the better. Those Oust fans look interesting. I'm going to have to hunt one down and check them out. Sorry, that's not much of an answer.

Edit: Also, high 70s in temp isn't too bad. Just make sure your RH is below 70 and you should be ok.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    So there is now way to really keep the temp. steady in there. It will though keep a bit cooler inside than my humidors though. Thats my concern about purchasing a cooler or a wine cooler.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    zeebra:
    So there is now way to really keep the temp. steady in there. It will though keep a bit cooler inside than my humidors though. Thats my concern about purchasing a cooler or a wine cooler.
    The cooler will hold whatever temp. the inside of the cooler is for longer then any humidor. As already stated it depends on the temp. inside the cooler when you start. In other words without refrigeration, it would be impossible to get the inside down to 65 when the outside temps are in the 80's. However if you can cool the inside down some then it will hold that lower temp. for much longer then a humidor will.
    I have resorted to using ice in mine. I have a rather large cooler and lots of room for an ice block. I just put a block of ice into a container that won't leak and place it at the bottom of the cooler. The ice slowly melts and the temps stay down to the low 70's. I also use tons of beads and I never have to charge them in the summer so any extra moisture from the ice block seems to be absorbed by the beads as my RH has never gone up by more then 2 points.
    This works for me when it gets really hot in the mid summer.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    My two cents...

First off, good question! We seem to spend a lot of time figuring out RH solutions, but little time discussing temperature issues.

I will take the easy one first - the Oasis XL is an excellent "set it and forget it" solution for RH, although it wont help with the temperature issue. Similarly, an Oust fan will circulate the air inside the coolidor but again wont help with the temp.

A few ideas come to mind... first, since heat rises, keep the cooler on the floor. Second, definitely keep the cooler out of direct sunlight, and against interior walls - in a closet might be a good idea, provided that the back of the closet doesnt butt up against an outside wall.

If these arent enough to keep the temp down where you need it (and somebody help me out here, beetles hatching begins to be a concern at 80F degrees???), if you have the room to spare you may want to put some of those plastic reusable freezer packs in the cooler while you are out for the day.

If you are a smart boy (and Im sure you are), you will pick up a cooler rated for 5 to 7 days. Given that sort of insulation in the cooler, and a temp in the 70's exterior to the cooler, a freezer pack or two should be enough to drop the interior temp of the cooler that extra few degrees so that you will not have to worry about beetles.

The downsides of this idea are 1) you will have to put the freezer packs in every day, and 2) they could sweat as they warm up. Easily taken care of by putting the freezer packs in some sort of containment, such as tupperware.

Of course, all of this could be a moot point if ya just bump the thermostat down a couple degrees... :-D

OOO - just read laker's post on the subject and it got me thinking - I wonder how a bit of dry ice would do for keeping the temp down??? It might last longer than the freezer pack idea I put forth... but Im not sure what effect dry ice would have on RH.

Where the he11 are our physics guys anyway??? LOL

The Sniper:
    OOO - just read laker's post on the subject and it got me thinking - I wonder how a bit of dry ice would do for keeping the temp down??? It might last longer than the freezer pack idea I put forth... but Im not sure what effect dry ice would have on RH.

Where the he11 are our physics guys anyway??? LOL

LOL, I have thought of that as well. My son used to work in a grocery store and from time to time they would get in some dry ice. It works VERY WELL, and last waaaaaay longer then regular ice. The biggest problem I had with it is that it tended to leave an ammonia smell to the air in the cooler. At least that is as close as I can describe the smell. It never affected any sticks, but it worried me.
    Dry ice is also expensive sometimes (by comparison) and is not always readily available.
    Awesome replies fellas, just what I'm looking for!!

Laker, but the ice moisture that the beads absorb, its not distilled water, any issue of molding in the beads? What about odor free Kitty litter?? I've heard great things about it and its much much cheaper to purchase than pounds of beads.

When I purchase it, I will make sure I have some room at the bottom to place beads and stuff, kind of like a bottom layer for all the needed products
    zeebra:

Laker, but the ice moisture that the beads absorb, its not distilled water, any issue of molding in the beads? What about odor free Kitty litter?? I've heard great things about it and its much much cheaper to purchase than pounds of beads.

When I purchase it, I will make sure I have some room at the bottom to place beads and stuff, kind of like a bottom layer for all the needed products
    I have thoguht about that but have been unable to come up with a clear answer.
    The way I thought about it though was that most of the water is actually melted into the container which is thrown out. So I am only dealing with the very small amount of water which actually evaporates and goes into the beads. This water vapor may contain some or all of the contaminants of non distilled water but I'm guessing at least some of the salts and such that are left behind in a dish after water has evaporated would react the same way in this situation. I have done this for two summers and have no problem with my beads. I suppose if you were worried about it, a guy could just buy a bottle of distilled water and "wash" his beads every once in a while.
    As for the kitty litter? Don't know haven't tried it. My thinking is that these beads don 't wear out and so don't really need exchanging. That and the fact that Conservagel beads are so cheap anyway, I just figure I don't need an extra 4 or 5 pounds of kitty litter that I won't use. (My cat's go outside)
    See this is what I'm thinking doing. Getting Ed to make the shelves. These pictures are from Ed (Waxingmoon) BTW...

• Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    do you guys have freezer packs in the states??
    like a plastic block you stick in your freezer overnight which freezes and then you use that for putting in a cooler??
    if you use this you wouldnt have the problem of evaporating ice, if you make sure its moisture free on the outside before you put it in, (not a problem if you've got a frost free freezer ;) :P
    i had two of these last summer and put my whole humi into a cool box,( not suitable for conversion into a cooladoor :( ) and the rotated the blocks around. kept each on in for 3 days and then swapped it. its not a very good cool box so if you had a decent one then i would imagine 1 block would keep you under/ around 70 for a week or so.
    laker1963:
    zeebra:

I have thoguht about that but have been unable to come up with a clear answer.
    The way I thought about it though was that most of the water is actually melted into the container which is thrown out. So I am only dealing with the very small amount of water which actually evaporates and goes into the beads. This water vapor may contain some or all of the contaminants of non distilled water but I'm guessing at least some of the salts and such that are left behind in a dish after water has evaporated would react the same way in this situation. I have done this for two summers and have no problem with my beads. I suppose if you were worried about it, a guy could just buy a bottle of distilled water and "wash" his beads every once in a while.
    As for the kitty litter? Don't know haven't tried it. My thinking is that these beads don 't wear out and so don't really need exchanging. That and the fact that Conservagel beads are so cheap anyway, I just figure I don't need an extra 4 or 5 pounds of kitty litter that I won't use. (My cat's go outside)
    Well it sure makes sense man. Thanks for the info!! I know how to set up majority of the cooledor, just had some more detailed questions, which you guys have answered!
    sol1821:
    do you guys have freezer packs in the states??
    like a plastic block you stick in your freezer overnight which freezes and then you use that for putting in a cooler??
    if you use this you wouldnt have the problem of evaporating ice, if you make sure its moisture free on the outside before you put it in, (not a problem if you've got a frost free freezer ;) :P
    i had two of these last summer and put my whole humi into a cool box,( not suitable for conversion into a cooladoor :( ) and the rotated the blocks around. kept each on in for 3 days and then swapped it. its not a very good cool box so if you had a decent one then i would imagine 1 block would keep you under/ around 70 for a week or so.
    Yes we have these and they work well, but I have found because they tend to be thin they thaw rather quickly. I like to use a 4 ltr. milk carton. They are waxed which helps keep them stable and not soggy, they are about 4 inches square so they last for quite a while and they hold their own water so they don't need to be dumped out. The shape also make them easy to work with.
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    ive got a 10"x5"x3" one which works really well.
    amd a few thin ones for sticking in gaps
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    Excellent info here as I have the same problem. Been gioving the wine cooler solution serious thought... just not thrilled about spending $300 to $400 to set one up.... would rather spend that $ on primo sticks! I think rotating a few plastic freezer packs will work... at least worth trying.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    I went from a zip lock bag, to a 100 count humi, to 2 hundred count humis, and now looking for a cooledor!!!!
    Me too!!! I JUST HAD to order the deal today so now I'm WAAAAYYY too full to even stuff these in with my foot. I've even filled my herf-a-dors to make room but the cooler is the only way to go at this point. Just ordered 2 more pounds of beads and will go cooler shopping this afternoon.

I like the idea of freezer packs keeping the temp down, I wish I could use those in my wooden humis. There are about 2 weeks in Maine where it gets damn hot and it's always given me beetle anxiety.
    The Sniper:
    My two cents...

First off, good question! We seem to spend a lot of time figuring out RH solutions, but little time discussing temperature issues.

I will take the easy one first - the Oasis XL is an excellent "set it and forget it" solution for RH, although it wont help with the temperature issue. Similarly, an Oust fan will circulate the air inside the coolidor but again wont help with the temp.

A few ideas come to mind... first, since heat rises, keep the cooler on the floor. Second, definitely keep the cooler out of direct sunlight, and against interior walls - in a closet might be a good idea, provided that the back of the closet doesnt butt up against an outside wall.

If these arent enough to keep the temp down where you need it (and somebody help me out here, beetles hatching begins to be a concern at 80F degrees???), if you have the room to spare you may want to put some of those plastic reusable freezer packs in the cooler while you are out for the day.

If you are a smart boy (and Im sure you are), you will pick up a cooler rated for 5 to 7 days. Given that sort of insulation in the cooler, and a temp in the 70's exterior to the cooler, a freezer pack or two should be enough to drop the interior temp of the cooler that extra few degrees so that you will not have to worry about beetles.

The downsides of this idea are 1) you will have to put the freezer packs in every day, and 2) they could sweat as they warm up. Easily taken care of by putting the freezer packs in some sort of containment, such as tupperware.

Of course, all of this could be a moot point if ya just bump the thermostat down a couple degrees... :-D

I'm planning to put the cooler in the utility room on the floor. Enclosed room with no sunlight and no outside walls at all. I think its the best place for it, plus, the wife wont have a red or green cooler sitting in the house...LOL!! Thanks for the info!
    JimmyC:
    Excellent info here as I have the same problem. Been gioving the wine cooler solution serious thought... just not thrilled about spending $300 to $400 to set one up.... would rather spend that $ on primo sticks! I think rotating a few plastic freezer packs will work... at least worth trying.
    Well you can buy the 28 count for like $150 shipped. But you have to "assemble" it to your likings, with fans, shelves and do some wiring for it, which I'm not good at.
    You could just freeze some distilled water into cubes... would eliminate the contaminant issue, wouldnt it?

The Sniper:
    You could just freeze some distilled water into cubes... would eliminate the contaminant issue, wouldnt it?

That would definatley work. However it is easier to put the water (distilled or not) into a container so that you can just put the container back into the freezer and there is less chance of a spilling accident. Did I mention I am accident prone? LOL
    Thinking about this one......any thoughts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Marine-Cooler/8187712
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    zeebra:
    Only one thought - GET THIS ONE!
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9222616&findingMethod=rr

same deal as a humi, get a bigger one than than you think you need because you will just fill it up anyways...
    ejenne87:
    zeebra:

same deal as a humi, get a bigger one than than you think you need because you will just fill it up anyways...
    LOL! I would, but I dont have the room for that one.
    zeebra:
    ejenne87:
    zeebra:

Yup, that's like the one I have.
    zeebra:
    ejenne87:
    zeebra:

Dammit Zeeb, thats woman talk and I wont have it!!! Now get out there, get the biggest cooler you can find and MAKE room for that sumbitch! :-)

• GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I know I'm a bit late getting in on this discussion, but something I've done that works fine is a bunch of ice cubes in a ziplock bag. just lay a few paper towels down for any condensation and put like 5-6 ice cubes in a ziplock and set it on it. Check it in an hour or so!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I just bought this one zeebra.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=14574676&findingMethod=rr

I went and looked at them in person and the igloo 50 and 100qts were not in good condition - I could see into the cooler with the lids closed. The other coleman 100qts that were there didn't have a good seal. Go in person if you can and check them out yourself. Another thing, the 100 qts looked monstrous in the store. My 50qt looks way too small now and it's empty, lol.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Run a fan near it, blowing in its general direction. When it gets really hot and humid here in muggy-ass central Va, I set a box fan up on the other side of the room, and point it at the shelf my humidors are on, and it takes care of the heat and excessive humidity. A lot of guys leave the drain plug on their coolerdors opened for a period of time every once in a while, as the seal can be TOO good on them sometimes, and they need airflow. This can also help your problem.
    Someone told me about this, you can buy this from academy for $3 and I thought it was an excellent idea........

http://www.igloocoolers.com/All-Ice-Substitutes_2/Freezer-Blocks/MaxCold-Freezer-Block-Large