Home Non Cigar Related

3-15

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
Caesar: Who is it in the press that calls on me?
I hear a tongue shriller than all the music
Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.

Soothsayer: Beware the ides of March.

Caesar: What man is that?

Brutus: A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Uncle Sam: Beware the ides of April.
  • MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    kuzi16:

I'm having flashbacks from High School...
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Mperconte:
    kuzi16:

I'm having flashbacks from High School...
    Seriously that takes me back a day.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    The ides doesn't mean "the 15th". The word "ides," which rhymes with "hides," is actually singular. According to the Roman calendar, the ides was the day of the full moon. It corresponded to the 13th day in most months, but the 15th of March, May, July, and October. The ancient Romans didn't think there was anything particularly inauspicious about the Ides of March, or the ides of any other month for that matter. The day was usually an occasion for honoring the deity of the month, Mars, by having a military parade. But in 44 BC, March 15 stood out as an especially bad day for at least one ancient Roman.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    The ides doesn't mean "the 15th". The word "ides," which rhymes with "hides," is actually singular. According to the Roman calendar, the ides was the day of the full moon. It corresponded to the 13th day in most months, but the 15th of March, May, July, and October. The ancient Romans didn't think there was anything particularly inauspicious about the Ides of March, or the ides of any other month for that matter. The day was usually an occasion for honoring the deity of the month, Mars, by having a military parade. But in 44 BC, March 15 stood out as an especially bad day for at least one ancient Roman.
    This was an odd bit of trivia in which you started out appearing to disagree with Kuzi, and then proceeded to entirely revert back to his original posting. .....thanks?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    zoom6zoom:
    This was an odd bit of trivia in which you started out appearing to disagree with Kuzi, and then proceeded to entirely revert back to his original posting. .....thanks?
    hey, i thought it was interesting.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    3/15 is my birthday. Always felt a little strange about the soothsayer's warning. Never really felt like much of a "beware" guy, just kind of sticks with ya' though.