Home Non Cigar Related

Looking for a good espionage/spy/political thriller novel

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
trying to get into a different genre here... i've read the bourne trilogy and loved it, but i wouldn't really consider that a spy novel... I recently picked up a copy of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by le Carr

Comments

• This isn't a spy novel, but have you read the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child? It's fantastic - and it's the only series I've read where each book is better than the last. I bring this up because the main character reminds me a lot of Jason Bourne.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I haven't but I just looked up Killing Floor on amazon and it sounds interesting... sounds like a mix between Bourne and Rambo in first blood... drifter shows up in a corrupt town... i'll check this out for sure... thanks!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Vince Flynn books are pretty good. And some earlier Lawrence Block books involve some spy stories.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    lilwing88:
    Vince Flynn books are pretty good. And some earlier Lawrence Block books involve some spy stories.
    I've actually had Transfer of Power on my list for a while... I guess Political Thriller is a better description of what I am looking for...

I'm not familiar with Lawrence Block, but I'll check him out...

Side note... so my wife started reading Game of Thrones before I had a chance to send it over to you... she's about halfway through it... sorry about that man... she swooped in
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    If you like to mix it up a bit... WEB Griffin writes excelent Historical Fiction, with an emphasis on the historical portion. I've read every book hes written, and enjoyed most of them multiple times. There is usually some espi/spy stuff in them also.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I tried The Game of Thrones as my artist is really into it, just couldn't dig it for some reason. I see they are turning it into a movie. Favorite book of all time after LOTR is The Sword of Shannara.
  • absolutjerabsolutjer Posts: 120
    Here is a great Spy/Espionage story. One of may favorites. I have been actually thinking of reading it again as it has been about 10 years since I read it last. Don't know that I would call it a political thriller though.

You will not be disapointed! Check out some of the reviews on Amazon

The Red Fox by Anthony Hyde

DSWarmack:
    If you like to mix it up a bit... WEB Griffin writes excelent Historical Fiction, with an emphasis on the historical portion. I've read every book hes written, and enjoyed most of them multiple times. There is usually some espi/spy stuff in them also.
    I love it... go to amazon and search WEB Griffin under books... a pic of him with a cigar pops up... I'M IN!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=web+griffin&sprefix=web+griffin
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    He's a really good author, another one is COL Oliver North. The first time I read an Oliver North Novel I was deployed to Iraq and he was describing something in the book. I was driving down the road (Highway 1) in Baghdad when I looked up and there it was the cross sabers of the Iraqi olympic soccer stadium. Someone asked what it was and I told them. They called my bluff and put about $500 (collectively) against me and the brief history I gave them. six hours later I was $500 richer!
    ha! nice... i've added him to the list... i had no idea he was an author
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    lilwing88:
    I've actually had Transfer of Power on my list for a while... I guess Political Thriller is a better description of what I am looking for...

I'm not familiar with Lawrence Block, but I'll check him out...

Side note... so my wife started reading Game of Thrones before I had a chance to send it over to you... she's about halfway through it... sorry about that man... she swooped in
    Tell her we must now fight to the death...... LOL! No worries, bro. Tell her to take her time and enjoy.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    If you havent already, give "Red Rabbit" by Tom Clancy a try.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rainbow Six - Tom Clancy
    Anything by Vince Flynn
    Anything from David Baldacci
    Reacher Series by Lee Child (reading now)
    Rogue Warrior & series Richard "Demo ***" Marchinko
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    If you guys like this stuff (I've read most of the Clancy, some of the Flynn and all of the Child), you might check out Stephen Hunter. The writng is very good and if you like guns, plot twists, some good subtle humor, this is for you.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm a fan of Robert Ludlum, really like his style and pacing. Haven't read many other novels of that sort of genre yet...one of these days. I did read a Stephen Coonts novel that fits in the espionage category and I did enjoy it...I think it was America...good read.